Bill Gooch

Default Talon chuck

Thanks for all the guidance received from the group. Picked up a new Talon
chuck today at Lee Valley and am looking forward to using it. Not exactly
sure what purpose the wood screw serves but I'll get the hang of it. Wife
is not impressed that this is her 40th anniversary present.....

--
Bill Gooch

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Bill

Very good choice Bill, I think the Oneway chucks are still the best
there is, also the jaw SHAPE design is superior to any of the others.

The wood screw is a real fast way to put a blank onto your lathe for
initial tenon or recess shaping, without taking the chuck off of your
lathe, IOW that's the way I very often start off on a rough blank, and
then you are able to hold it any way you want after that, all it takes
is a 1" deep by 11/32"D hole and spin on the blank, and away you go.
You could shape the blank also with the tailstock center's help, but I
don't like the tailstock in my way, it restricts the design
possibilities to much IMO.
Mostly turn outboard for that reason.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bill Gooch wrote:
Thanks for all the guidance received from the group. Picked up a new Talon
chuck today at Lee Valley and am looking forward to using it. Not exactly
sure what purpose the wood screw serves but I'll get the hang of it. Wife
is not impressed that this is her 40th anniversary present.....

George

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
.. .
Not exactly
sure what purpose the wood screw serves but I'll get the hang of it. Wife
is not impressed that this is her 40th anniversary present.....

Wives just don't understand sometimes. Bought mine a Stihl 032 chainsaw for
mothers' day back 25 years ago, and then the ungrateful creature went and
got me curtains for fathers' day....

Woodworm screw is one way of starting smaller stuff. No substitute in my
mind for the security of a pin chuck. Or the convenience of pin jaws. Also
has a tendency to rust up badly unless it's stainless, causing some problems
in removal.

M.J.

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
.. .
Not exactly
sure what purpose the wood screw serves but I'll get the hang of it.
Wife is not impressed that this is her 40th anniversary present.....

Woodworm screw is one way of starting smaller stuff. No substitute in
my

mind for the security of a pin chuck. Or the convenience of pin jaws.
Also has a tendency to rust up badly unless it's stainless, causing some
problems in removal.

Woodworm screw is for "smaller stuff?.......... Once again you crack me up
George!
I regularly turn bowl blanks up to 20 inch diameter and seven to eight
inches deep on my
Oneway Stronghold with woodworm screw. It is also NOT stainless and after
using it for
around seven years I have yet to find any rust on it. Will be right back am
going to my shop/studio
to see if any rust has started today that I might have missed
........................ Nope still no rust!
You would think living so close to the ocean compounded by turning wet green
blanks would
cause mine to rust..... Hmmmmmm wonder when it will show up?
Anyway thanks for yet another chuckle George...

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

George

"M.J." wrote in message
Oneway Stronghold with woodworm screw. It is also NOT stainless and after
using it for
around seven years I have yet to find any rust on it. Will be right back
am going to my shop/studio
to see if any rust has started today that I might have missed
....................... Nope still no rust!
You would think living so close to the ocean compounded by turning wet
green blanks would
cause mine to rust..... Hmmmmmm wonder when it will show up?
Anyway thanks for yet another chuckle George...

If your woods were as acid as your replies, you might see more.

billh

"M.J." wrote in message

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

While I haven't turned anything as large as 20" with the Oneway Wormwood I
haven't had any rusting problems. I noticed in a thread on, I believe, the
Woodcentral Turning forum about 3 wks ago that other turners use the
Wormwood to turn in the 12-16" region as a matter of course. As always, it
is a good idea to use the tailstock when you can for safety particularly
until the blank is better balanced.
Billh

M.J.

"M.J." wrote in message
Oneway Stronghold with woodworm screw. It is also NOT stainless and
after using it for
around seven years I have yet to find any rust on it. Will be right back
am going to my shop/studio
to see if any rust has started today that I might have missed
....................... Nope still no rust!
You would think living so close to the ocean compounded by turning wet
green blanks would
cause mine to rust..... Hmmmmmm wonder when it will show up?
Anyway thanks for yet another chuckle George...

If your woods were as acid as your replies, you might see more.

When the needle on my "Bulls**t Meter" hits ten I usually reply. Recently
you have driven it off scale a couple of times....

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

M.J.

"billh" wrote in message
.. .

"M.J." wrote in message

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Just curious if you are by any chance turning "acid" woods Bill??? :-)
Just dawned on me..... I am pretty sure George uses one of those cheap
"throw-a-way" chucks. Could be they are much more prone to rusting....

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

mac davis

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:42:26 -0400, "Bill Gooch" wrote:

Thanks for all the guidance received from the group. Picked up a new Talon
chuck today at Lee Valley and am looking forward to using it. Not exactly
sure what purpose the wood screw serves but I'll get the hang of it. Wife
is not impressed that this is her 40th anniversary present.....

Bill.. I won't say that I use the chuck screw in the Talon a lot, just that I
have a cheap cordless drill hung by the lathe with the correct bit in it and a
stop at 7/8" depth.. *g*

Being lazy, if I can't chuck it right away, I mark the center, drill the hole,
and use the chuck screw to hold it on the lathe.. (just put the screw in the
chuck, making sure as you tighten the chuck that the flat surfaces on the screw
"head" are resting on the flat areas in the chuck)

For bowl work, make sure that you drill the hole in the part of the stock that
the top/mouth of the bowl will be and the bottom of the bowl is facing the tail
stock..

It's a great way to get the work true and rough shaped, including making the
tenon or recess on the bottom of the bowl before you reverse it in the chuck..

billh

"M.J." wrote in message

"billh" wrote in message
.. .

"M.J." wrote in message

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I would think how the screw is stored would have an effect on rusting and
here I tend to turn mostly in the winter when it is dry in the house and
darn cold outside and the summer humidity is somewhat controlled by
airconditioning leakage into the basement. But I think your environment kind
of throws that theory out since I'd think you'd have a lot of nasty moisture
compared to my chunks of maple in a dry basement.

Took the ferry to Nanaimo last year around this time to visit friends in
Comox. I would tell you the scenery was nice but you know that already.

Billh

George

"billh" wrote in message
.. .
I would think how the screw is stored would have an effect on rusting and
here I tend to turn mostly in the winter when it is dry in the house and
darn cold outside and the summer humidity is somewhat controlled by
airconditioning leakage into the basement. But I think your environment
kind of throws that theory out since I'd think you'd have a lot of nasty
moisture compared to my chunks of maple in a dry basement.

Don't "store" it in some green cherry or oak. It works pretty fast. WD40
it afterward for best results.

With the safe and convenient options available for larger stock, as I said,
it's not worth the risk . Because you _can_ doesn't mean your _should_ use
it.

Tom Nie

George,

WD40 is not even close to as effective as a silicone preventive (not just
silicone lube). Used to carry equipment in the truck and that was the only
thing that would stop rust.

TomNie

"George" George@least wrote in message

"billh" wrote in message
.. .
I would think how the screw is stored would have an effect on rusting and
here I tend to turn mostly in the winter when it is dry in the house and
darn cold outside and the summer humidity is somewhat controlled by
airconditioning leakage into the basement. But I think your environment
kind of throws that theory out since I'd think you'd have a lot of nasty
moisture compared to my chunks of maple in a dry basement.

Don't "store" it in some green cherry or oak. It works pretty fast. WD40
it afterward for best results.

With the safe and convenient options available for larger stock, as I
said, it's not worth the risk . Because you _can_ doesn't mean your
_should_ use it.

George

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
news
George,

WD40 is not even close to as effective as a silicone preventive (not just
silicone lube). Used to carry equipment in the truck and that was the only
thing that would stop rust.

I haven't tried that on the stuff where I don't care about picking up dust.
I use it for preventive maintenance on auto locks and such here in salt
country, but find it's better at shedding water than freeing them up.

Then there's the ever-present accident problem in the shop. The silicones
get onto surfaces, can transfer to the wood, and it's fisheye time.

M.J.

"George" George@least wrote in message

"billh" wrote in message
.. .
I would think how the screw is stored would have an effect on rusting and
here I tend to turn mostly in the winter when it is dry in the house and
darn cold outside and the summer humidity is somewhat controlled by
airconditioning leakage into the basement. But I think your environment
kind of throws that theory out since I'd think you'd have a lot of nasty
moisture compared to my chunks of maple in a dry basement.

Don't "store" it in some green cherry or oak. It works pretty fast. WD40
it afterward for best results.

I turn cherry and oak all the time. I suppose if I "stored" it in this wood
I eventually would see some rust but that would be stupid ..... So I don't
!

With the safe and convenient options available for larger stock, as I
said, it's not worth the risk . Because you _can_ doesn't mean your
_should_ use it.

So if we all opt for the "George Method (tm)" then we will be MUCH safer.
Sigh...............

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

Arch

Talon chucks, magnets and silicone in the turning shop?

Always? Never? Sometimes? The beat goes on. (

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi George

Maybe you should have a look at my photo album, it will show that a
woodwurm screw can be used, fast, safely, even without a tailstock, and
no, my woodwurm screw that I have used for several years does not show
any rust, maybe your pin chuck does rust, not my woodwurm I can assure you.
Also one does not need 2 or more inches of depth to use a woodwurm, 3/4"
will do just fine, no lost rusty nails either, or do you use stainless
steel pins for them ??

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum27.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

George wrote:

Wives just don't understand sometimes. Bought mine a Stihl 032 chainsaw for
mothers' day back 25 years ago, and then the ungrateful creature went and
got me curtains for fathers' day....

Woodworm screw is one way of starting smaller stuff. No substitute in my
mind for the security of a pin chuck. Or the convenience of pin jaws. Also
has a tendency to rust up badly unless it's stainless, causing some problems
in removal.

George

Use your tailstock. You'd be a fool not to. Of course only a contentious
fool would imply that steel does not corrode, and that a 3/8 screw is
stronger than a 1" pin.

So have a nice day.

George wrote:

Wives just don't understand sometimes. Bought mine a Stihl 032 chainsaw
for mothers' day back 25 years ago, and then the ungrateful creature went
and got me curtains for fathers' day....

Woodworm screw is one way of starting smaller stuff. No substitute in my
mind for the security of a pin chuck. Or the convenience of pin jaws.
Also has a tendency to rust up badly unless it's stainless, causing some
problems in removal.

Bill Gooch

Thanks for that link to your web page I found the pictures an excellent
explanation of how to use the screw. What I don't understand from the
pictures is how you work on both sides of the bowl. Question is why both
sides and is the direction of your lathe reversible, if not can't understand
how you turn.

--
Bill

George wrote:

Wives just don't understand sometimes. Bought mine a Stihl 032 chainsaw
for mothers' day back 25 years ago, and then the ungrateful creature went
and got me curtains for fathers' day....

Woodworm screw is one way of starting smaller stuff. No substitute in my
mind for the security of a pin chuck. Or the convenience of pin jaws.
Also has a tendency to rust up badly unless it's stainless, causing some
problems in removal.

M.J.

George Try to focus here please. This thread started with your outrageous
claim that woodworm screws were to be used on "small" items. More than one
person has responded attempting to show you that your claim was flat out
wrong.

Both Leo and I have used a woodworm screw for several years and they have
not evaporated in a pile of rust!!! I have no doubt that on the molecular
level there is very likely some deterioration of my woodworm screw.
However, I am sure that when it gets to the size of a darning needle I can
quite easily go and buy another.

So YOU have a nice day.......

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

George wrote:

Wives just don't understand sometimes. Bought mine a Stihl 032 chainsaw
for mothers' day back 25 years ago, and then the ungrateful creature
went and got me curtains for fathers' day....

Woodworm screw is one way of starting smaller stuff. No substitute in
my mind for the security of a pin chuck. Or the convenience of pin jaws.
Also has a tendency to rust up badly unless it's stainless, causing some
problems in removal.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Bill

Thanks, glad it helped you Bill.

The reason I worked on both sides of the bowl was to show that the
woodwurm screw and Oneway chuck holds enough to even turn on the wrong
side of the bowl, (wrong side meaning, on the side that would turn the
blank/bowl off of the screw if the bowl was stopped while the lathe is
turning).

Yes my lathe (is a metal turning lathe also) and most higher end lathes
are reversible.

Bill Gooch wrote:

Thanks for that link to your web page I found the pictures an excellent
explanation of how to use the screw. What I don't understand from the
pictures is how you work on both sides of the bowl. Question is why both
sides and is the direction of your lathe reversible, if not can't understand
how you turn.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi George

I knew you would agree with me.

Thanks for the good wishes, the same to you.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

George wrote:

Wives just don't understand sometimes. Bought mine a Stihl 032 chainsaw
for mothers' day back 25 years ago, and then the ungrateful creature went
and got me curtains for fathers' day....

Woodworm screw is one way of starting smaller stuff. No substitute in my
mind for the security of a pin chuck. Or the convenience of pin jaws.
Also has a tendency to rust up badly unless it's stainless, causing some
problems in removal.

Owen Davies

Default Talon chuck - another question

Speaking of the Talon chuck, does anyone know how big the "mini-Cole"
jaws are? I would assume they are sized to fit a Jet or Delta minilathe,
but none of the sources I've found gives dimensions.

Thanks.

Owen Davies

M.J.

Try this "source" Owen.

http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/acces...jumbo_jaws.htm

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

"Owen Davies" wrote in message
Speaking of the Talon chuck, does anyone know how big the "mini-Cole" jaws
are? I would assume they are sized to fit a Jet or Delta minilathe, but
none of the sources I've found gives dimensions.

Thanks.

Owen Davies

no(SPAM)vasys

Owen Davies wrote:
Speaking of the Talon chuck, does anyone know how big the "mini-Cole"
jaws are? I would assume they are sized to fit a Jet or Delta minilathe,
but none of the sources I've found gives dimensions.

Thanks.

Owen Davies

Per the Oneway web site the mini jumbo jaws has a closed diameter of
8.5" and will work on a lathe with a 10" or greater swing. See:

http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/acces...jumbo_jaws.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Harry Pye

Owen

Speaking of the Talon chuck, does anyone know how big the "mini-Cole"
jaws are? I would assume they are sized to fit a Jet or Delta minilathe,
but none of the sources I've found gives dimensions.

I can't give you an exact size but they work well with my Delta Midi.
Oneway calls them Mini-Jumbo jaws.
Owen Davies

Thanks, all. Don't know why I kept looking at Craft Supplies and Packard
and the rest, but never thought to go to the source.

Owen
W Canaday

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 08:57:46 -0700, M.J. wrote:

George Try to focus here please. This thread started with your outrageous
claim that woodworm screws were to be used on "small" items. More than one
person has responded attempting to show you that your claim was flat out
wrong.

Both Leo and I have used a woodworm screw for several years and they have
not evaporated in a pile of rust!!! I have no doubt that on the molecular
level there is very likely some deterioration of my woodworm screw.
However, I am sure that when it gets to the size of a darning needle I can
quite easily go and buy another.

So YOU have a nice day.......

That's what I like about this group ... everyone here is so polite!

Bill

W Canaday

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 16:42:26 -0400, Bill Gooch wrote:

Thanks for all the guidance received from the group. Picked up a new
Talon chuck today at Lee Valley and am looking forward to using it. Not
exactly sure what purpose the wood screw serves but I'll get the hang of
it. Wife is not impressed that this is her 40th anniversary present.....

Probably no less so than the curtains she got for you. ;-)