billh

"M.J." wrote in message

"billh" wrote in message
.. .

"M.J." wrote in message

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
.. .
Not exactly
sure what purpose the wood screw serves but I'll get the hang of it.
Wife is not impressed that this is her 40th anniversary present.....

Woodworm screw is one way of starting smaller stuff. No substitute
in my
mind for the security of a pin chuck. Or the convenience of pin jaws.
Also has a tendency to rust up badly unless it's stainless, causing
some problems in removal.

Woodworm screw is for "smaller stuff?.......... Once again you crack me
up George!
I regularly turn bowl blanks up to 20 inch diameter and seven to eight
inches deep on my
Oneway Stronghold with woodworm screw. It is also NOT stainless and
after using it for
around seven years I have yet to find any rust on it. Will be right
back am going to my shop/studio
to see if any rust has started today that I might have missed
....................... Nope still no rust!
You would think living so close to the ocean compounded by turning wet
green blanks would
cause mine to rust..... Hmmmmmm wonder when it will show up?
Anyway thanks for yet another chuckle George...

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

While I haven't turned anything as large as 20" with the Oneway Wormwood
I haven't had any rusting problems. I noticed in a thread on, I believe,
the Woodcentral Turning forum about 3 wks ago that other turners use the
Wormwood to turn in the 12-16" region as a matter of course. As always,
it is a good idea to use the tailstock when you can for safety
particularly until the blank is better balanced.
Billh

Just curious if you are by any chance turning "acid" woods Bill??? :-)
Just dawned on me..... I am pretty sure George uses one of those cheap
"throw-a-way" chucks. Could be they are much more prone to rusting....

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

I would think how the screw is stored would have an effect on rusting and
here I tend to turn mostly in the winter when it is dry in the house and
darn cold outside and the summer humidity is somewhat controlled by
airconditioning leakage into the basement. But I think your environment kind
of throws that theory out since I'd think you'd have a lot of nasty moisture
compared to my chunks of maple in a dry basement.

Took the ferry to Nanaimo last year around this time to visit friends in
Comox. I would tell you the scenery was nice but you know that already.

Billh