phi117

Default My lathe's spindle is too long for my new chuck

I just purchased Teknatool's Nova Midi Chuck to go on my Harbor Freight
lathe (HF 34706). My problem I'm having is that I can't get the chuck
to run true because the spindle is so long that the chuck can not
thread all the way onto the spindle and seat against the spindle's
shoulder. Without a good solid surface to seat up against, the natural
slop in the threads causes the chuck to run way out of true when the
lathe is running. I'm looking for any ideas that folks may have on how
to fix this.

The owner's 'manual' for the nova midi chuck clearly says that the
chuck must seat firmly against a solid surface in order for the chuck
to run true.

What I think I need is something that I can use as a spacer between the
shoulder of the spindle and the chuck. I need to take up about a half
an inch of space between the shoulder and the chuck. The lathe uses 1 x
8 threads on the spindle so the outside diameter of the threads is
right at 1". Also, the two faces of the spacer need to be VERY
parallel in order to allow the face of the chuck to seat squarely and
run true.

My initial idea was just to get a couple of washers with an inside
diameter of 1" that I could just slip over the spindle. A trip to the
Home Depot last night did not turn up any suitably sized washers in the
hardware section.

My second thought was to cut down a 1" PVC pipe coupling and use it as
a spacer, but I was unable to get good results from that. The coupling
was the perfect size, but I think the problem there was that I could
not get the ends sufficiently parallel on the cut, or the pressure from
tightening the chuck caused the PVC to warp a little. Either way, it
didn't work.

My next idea is to make my own 1/2" MDF 'washer' to go between the
chuck and the spindle shoulder but I'm worried that the MDF may dent
and cause the chuck to run untrue. I'm going to try this out tonight
and see how it goes.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do about it? I
imagine that it must be a fairly common problem for people trying to
thread small chucks and faceplates onto a full size lathe. Does anyone
make some type of spacer ring with a 1" ID that is machined flat enough
on both faces to allow the chuck to seat firmly and squarely aginst it?

PS - I should probably note that the chuck does thread all the way onto
the spindle. Its just that when it does, the spindle prohibits the
chuck jaws from tightening fully. The chuck runs very smoothly with no
noticeable run-out when it is allowed to thread all the way down the
spindle and seat against the spindle's shoulder.

tom

[...]

You should be able to find a 1x8 nut to thread onto the spindle...then
carefully machine it to true. Tom

Arch

You are right on and most any machinist's supply will carry precision
flat washer-spacers in the sizes you need.

Or like the undertakers of old who cut off the deceased legs to fit the
coffin, you could cut off your lathe's spindle. Just kidding! Just
kidding! Don't do it!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Greg Jensen

Why not just take a hack saw and cut 1/2" off the end of the spindle. Then
file it smooth.

Greg Jensen

"phi117" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Dave in Fairfax

Greg Jensen wrote:
Why not just take a hack saw and cut 1/2" off the end of the spindle. Then
file it smooth.

Rather than do anything that can't be undone, try turning a small HARD
wood disk and drill out the center. When it wears out, make a new one.
If you turn it the sides WILL be parallel.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Q47M

phi117 wrote:
[...]

Did you buy the proper insert for the chuck?

Arch

Shortening the spindle would be throwing out its Morse taper with the
bath water. Wood is temporary and compresses unevenly and 1X8 0.5in.
long nuts may be as hard to find and probably cost as much as a flat
spacer. Wood or a nut require some machining. IMO as you considered, buy
machined metal spacers and be done with it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Kevin Neelley

I have one chuck that has the same problem. I used a steel washer behind the
chuck. Here is a link to MSC for a similar hard washer:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=7169569

This washer is 26mm which is just over 1".

In article .com, phi117
says...

[...]

Ralph

phi117 wrote:
[...]

Have you checked with Technatool to see if they provide an adapter for
your lathe?

John

Kevin Neelley wrote:
[...]

Craft Supplies sells plastic washers designed to go between a chuck and the

spindle face in order to prevent locking the chuck too tight to remove.
They come in all the common spindle sizes at about $3.50 for two. Not
sure how many you would need to get the length you want.
John

Pounds on Wood

"phi117" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just purchased Teknatool's Nova Midi Chuck to go on my Harbor Freight
lathe (HF 34706). My problem I'm having is that I can't get the chuck
to run true because the spindle is so long that the chuck can not
thread all the way onto the spindle and seat against the spindle's
shoulder. Without a good solid surface to seat up against, the natural
slop in the threads causes the chuck to run way out of true when the
lathe is running. I'm looking for any ideas that folks may have on how
to fix this.

What you need is a 1"-8 Jam Nut, which will be about 9/16" thick. Found at
any GOOD hardware store.

--
********
Bill Pounds

Prometheus

On 22 Jun 2005 11:42:55 -0700, "phi117"
wrote:

What I think I need is something that I can use as a spacer between the
shoulder of the spindle and the chuck. I need to take up about a half
an inch of space between the shoulder and the chuck. The lathe uses 1 x
8 threads on the spindle so the outside diameter of the threads is
right at 1". Also, the two faces of the spacer need to be VERY
parallel in order to allow the face of the chuck to seat squarely and
run true.

Well, you've got a lathe, and I've heard of people turning aluminum on
a wood lathe in a pinch. (Though I would hope you've got some old
lathe chisels if you try that!) The only other thing that hasn't
already been suggested is using one of those nylon cutting boards.
You could turn it easily after roughing out a circle on the bandsaw,
and it'd be soft enough to drill with a forsner bit- though hard
enough for what you're doing, and waterproof to boot. They're pretty
close to parallel when when you get them, though they do have a little
bit of texture to them. I'd imagine you could smooth it off fairly
quickly with any number of methods, if you're concerned about it.
(FWIW, I wouldn't suggest a sander for smoothing plastic, though YMMV)

My second thought was to cut down a 1" PVC pipe coupling and use it as
a spacer, but I was unable to get good results from that. The coupling
was the perfect size, but I think the problem there was that I could
not get the ends sufficiently parallel on the cut, or the pressure from
tightening the chuck caused the PVC to warp a little. Either way, it
didn't work.

I think solid nylon stock would work a bit better for what you're
doing. The best would be machined steel, but the nylon would do in a
pinch.

My next idea is to make my own 1/2" MDF 'washer' to go between the
chuck and the spindle shoulder but I'm worried that the MDF may dent
and cause the chuck to run untrue. I'm going to try this out tonight
and see how it goes.

Skip the MDF, that's just going to be wasted effort.

mac davis

On 22 Jun 2005 11:42:55 -0700, "phi117" wrote:

several of the turning supply places on the web have teflon or plastic washers
that are supposed to prevent the chuck or face plate from over tightening.. that
would probably do the job, unless you're like an inch out...
I'd want something that was made for a lathe, in case you hit warranty issues..
YMMV

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Mike Paulson

I had a chuck that didn't bottom on the spindle threads. I got an
ordinary steel washer that had a hole slightly too small to fit on the
spindle, and then I did some hand machining to get a perfect fit and to
true up the face. I used a piece of scrap wood on a faceplate, turned a
slight recess for the washer, glued it in with epoxy, and then turned with
with ordinary hss scrapers. I used a slowish speed (500 rpm?) and used 30
weight oil since I don't have any official machinist's cutting oil. The
washer was glued in solid, so I had to part it off to reverse it in a
friction fit recess to turn off the glue. I have also trued up one of my
homemade steel faceplates on the wood lathe and done some other small
scale machining when I needed a special part for something. Turning steel
on a wood lathe takes some patience and makes a mess, but it works, it
doesn't hurt your tools, and you'll be done faster than spending a lot of
time looking for some special part that might work.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

phi117

I ended up ordering an arbor spacer from Enco that looks like it should
do the trick. I looked around for a jam nut of the appropriate size but
I could not find any in the local hardware store and the places I saw
on the web wanted you to buy them in large (25+) quantity.

http://www.use-enco.com

In the mean time, i made my own spacer out of 1/2" MDF. It looks like
I'm still getting a little run-out with the MDF space but it wasn't bad
enough to stop me from turning a small bowl last night.

For folks' future reference: Be aware that if you purchase a Precision
Nova Midi Chuck by Teknatool, it may not fit on you lathe's spindle
without a little creative home engineering.

ottomatic

"phi117" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

best answer would be to machineor have machined a spacer with a
1 x 8 threaded id and a shoulder with ad od equal to the "cavity" in the
back of your chuck
face off the front of the shoulder and you should be in business

HTH
Otto

lionslair at consolidated dot net

Phi117 -

You have the right concept - but with the pressures that will occur
once turning - you will need steel. I suggest a lathe cut length or
perhaps a 1" nut that is end faced. You need a steel lathe friend
on this one.

Martin

phi117 wrote:

[...]

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

william_b_noble

I don't know what size nut you need, but I can sell you an individual nut of
some of the common sizes (like 1.25X8) - see info on my web page,
www.wbnoble.com

"phi117" wrote in message
oups.com...
I ended up ordering an arbor spacer from Enco that looks like it should
do the trick. I looked around for a jam nut of the appropriate size but
I could not find any in the local hardware store and the places I saw
on the web wanted you to buy them in large (25+) quantity.

http://www.use-enco.com

In the mean time, i made my own spacer out of 1/2" MDF. It looks like
I'm still getting a little run-out with the MDF space but it wasn't bad
enough to stop me from turning a small bowl last night.

For folks' future reference: Be aware that if you purchase a Precision
Nova Midi Chuck by Teknatool, it may not fit on you lathe's spindle
without a little creative home engineering.

Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: Shortening the spindle would be throwing out its Morse taper
with the bath water.(clip)
LOL. Arch, we can depend on you to keep us amused AND informed.

Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
A Video for Beginners (a bit long) Fred Holder Woodturning 1 September 30th 03 09:37 PM
magnetic chuck problem Kenneth W. Sterling Metalworking 3 August 30th 03 05:37 PM
ENCO no-name chuck or Bison? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 7 August 28th 03 03:08 PM
Cuemaking-Metal Lathe Chuck Question? J. Alan Metalworking 6 August 9th 03 02:07 AM