mac davis

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:42:26 -0400, "Bill Gooch" wrote:

Thanks for all the guidance received from the group. Picked up a new Talon
chuck today at Lee Valley and am looking forward to using it. Not exactly
sure what purpose the wood screw serves but I'll get the hang of it. Wife
is not impressed that this is her 40th anniversary present.....

Bill.. I won't say that I use the chuck screw in the Talon a lot, just that I
have a cheap cordless drill hung by the lathe with the correct bit in it and a
stop at 7/8" depth.. *g*

Being lazy, if I can't chuck it right away, I mark the center, drill the hole,
and use the chuck screw to hold it on the lathe.. (just put the screw in the
chuck, making sure as you tighten the chuck that the flat surfaces on the screw
"head" are resting on the flat areas in the chuck)

For bowl work, make sure that you drill the hole in the part of the stock that
the top/mouth of the bowl will be and the bottom of the bowl is facing the tail
stock..

It's a great way to get the work true and rough shaped, including making the
tenon or recess on the bottom of the bowl before you reverse it in the chuck..