Charlie

Default Suitable door gear for a 1940s door

Following our move I have finally got round to painting the original
1940s doors in the upstairs of the house.
These doors look like:
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/36372/9394.jpg

These have the most inappropriate 'black antique' door handles, without
any shaft or mortice latches - just the plastic roller latches. These
handles look like:

Downstairs we just have normal modern door 4 panel doors with door
handles like:

Anyway my questions a
What sort of door handles should I put on them?
Should I use an external latch?

Other points worth mentioning a
1) The roller latch which was fitted is the only latch that has been
fitted in the body of the door - and it doesn't line up with any
previous keyholes etc.

2) I guess originally some kind of surface latch was mounted on the
inside of the door

3) Any door handle is going to have to be mounted a lot higher than on
the doors downstairs. Is this going to look funny if I choose the same
door handles as downstairs.

4) The downstairs of the house has been extended twice and has a
comtemporary feel to the layout - open plan etc. However the upstairs
has the original room layout (1940's) and a less contemporary feel.

5) This is the last bit of decorating I'm doing on the house so I don't
want to have to go round changing other stuff if I can help it.

Any help would be gladly appreciated - I just feel uneasy with any
ideas I have come up with already.

Thanks in advance

Charlie

Christian McArdle

Anyway my questions a
What sort of door handles should I put on them?
Should I use an external latch?

My grandparents had a house done out in 1940s style, presumably during the
1940s. The doors had roller latches and pull handles. I can't find exact
matches on screwfix. The closest is:

But the originals were much more curvaceous in more than one plane and more
interesting looking.

http://www.doorfurnituredirect.co.uk...Handles&page=1

Is closer (SAA Bow Handle 180mm).

Christian.

Steve P

"Charlie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Check out http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/ for ideas?

s--p--o--n--i--x

On 31 Mar 2005 01:26:37 -0800, "Charlie"
wrote:

Following our move I have finally got round to painting the original
1940s doors in the upstairs of the house.

Originally, these would have had brown bakelite handles, either lever
or round. (How do I know? My parents house which was completed in
1939/1940 had almost identical doors.)

I doubt you'll find any lever ones as they tended to snap. However,
the round ones should be available from a salvage yard. Alternatively,
I have seen white plastic ones in an almost identical size/shape.

Charlie

wrote:

Following our move I have finally got round to painting the original
1940s doors in the upstairs of the house.

Originally, these would have had brown bakelite handles, either lever
or round. (How do I know? My parents house which was completed in
1939/1940 had almost identical doors.)

I doubt you'll find any lever ones as they tended to snap. However,
the round ones should be available from a salvage yard.

Alternatively,
I have seen white plastic ones in an almost identical size/shape.

Do you mean these?
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/40250/8018.jpg

Rob Morley

In article .com,
"Charlie" says...
Following our move I have finally got round to painting the original
1940s doors in the upstairs of the house.
These doors look like:
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/36372/9394.jpg

These probably originally had a rim catch something like the bottom
right one here http://www.broughtons.com/authentic_locks.htm,
although it probably had bakelite knobs or levers something like
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7310250849
or
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7311095159

If you want a lever that won't look out of place in a contemporary or
period setting something like this might work
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2B3559CA

For a basic yet authentic approach use something like
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...ts.jsp?q=17108
with a knob like this
or
http://www.romark.co.uk/itemdisplay.asp?item=dk003.jpg

Lots of links for door furniture here
http://www.homesources.co.uk/doors_fittings.html

Charlie

wrote:

Following our move I have finally got round to painting the

original
1940s doors in the upstairs of the house.

Originally, these would have had brown bakelite handles, either

lever
or round. (How do I know? My parents house which was completed in
1939/1940 had almost identical doors.)

I doubt you'll find any lever ones as they tended to snap.

However,
the round ones should be available from a salvage yard.

Alternatively,
I have seen white plastic ones in an almost identical size/shape.

Do you mean these?
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/40250/8018.jpg

Very similar.

Euuuccch! Glad you don't see too many of those around nowadays.

I didn't necessarily want to get original fittings. I really wanted
some advice with a view to getting something that wouldn't look out of
place.

I'm leaning towards some white round porcelain door knobs at the
moment.

s--p--o--n--i--x

On 31 Mar 2005 04:36:24 -0800, "Charlie"
wrote:

Do you mean these?
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/40250/8018.jpg

Very similar.

Euuuccch! Glad you don't see too many of those around nowadays.

You gotta remember the 40's were very austere...there was a war on
after all.

The other sort we had were round bakelite with a round bakelite bezel.
I have also seen round black ones on 1940's doors.

nightjar

"Charlie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Following our move I have finally got round to painting the original
1940s doors in the upstairs of the house.
These doors look like:
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/36372/9394.jpg

These have the most inappropriate 'black antique' door handles, without
any shaft or mortice latches - just the plastic roller latches. These
handles look like:

Downstairs we just have normal modern door 4 panel doors with door
handles like:

Anyway my questions a
What sort of door handles should I put on them?

That style of door is a utility (i.e. cheap) design and it would have had
utility door handles. As others have said, brown bakelite round handlees
with round escutcheons behind them are the most probable. I would use a
simple mortice latch with round brass handles to give a period feel, without
being too accurate about the period.

Colin Bignell

wrote:

Do you mean these?
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/40250/8018.jpg

Very similar.

Euuuccch! Glad you don't see too many of those around nowadays.

I dont think those fancy bezels would have been used in most cases.
More like just the plastic knob and a pressed metal washer, or a round
disc of plastic behind the knob.

Screwfix still sells what may have been fiited originally, black
plastic doorknbs, but who buys them I dont know. Euuuchhh is the word.

I didn't necessarily want to get original fittings. I really wanted
some advice with a view to getting something that wouldn't look out

of
place.

I'm leaning towards some white round porcelain door knobs at the
moment.

The 40s was a time of poverty. A cake would have taken a month's egg
rations. Throwing away anything edible was a criminal offence. People
dug their gardens up en masse and grew veg so they could eat.

Your doors would most likely have had very cheap nasty fittings. You
can just about make this look work if you have a whole house in 40s
styling, and are skilful at making crap look interesting. Otherwise I'd
abandon any attempt at orignality and use fittings that will look good
with the door now. I like your suggestion of a white porcelain knob,
seems to suit it.

If you want the knob lower down, a rim mechanism would enable that. So
would using a roller catch, no door knob is needed, just a latch.

You could also use the roller catch and add a doorknob lower down, just
pull the knob to open. I once watched someone turning the knob on such
a door back and forth in an attempt to get out!!

NT

basil

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:30:29 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

That style of door is a utility (i.e. cheap) design and it would have had
utility door handles. As others have said, brown bakelite round handlees
with round escutcheons behind them are the most probable. I would use a
simple mortice latch with round brass handles to give a period feel, without
being too accurate about the period.

Colin Bignell

Utility doors didn't have panels!

These are typical 1930's doors, from Canada, Douglas Fir or Candian
Redwood. Clear of kNots they look good stripped and varnished. I'd
then put on Art Deco style (1920's 30's) handles eg:
http://www.doorchic.co.uk/site01/details.asp?id=150

Charlie

Thanks for everyone's advice - very useful and interesting as always.

I have finally plumped for round porcelain handles.
I might have chosen brass but there are no brass fittings anywhere else
in the house.
The white should just blend tastefully in without being too prominent.

Thanks again

Charlie

Derek * wrote:

For the epitome of Euuuchhh :

http://www.romark.co.uk/itemdisplay.asp?item=dk003.jpg

Which for me is reminiscent of prefab schools built for the

baby-boom.

yes, exactly what I'd expect to see on the average 40s door. Screwfix
still sell them.

NT

Rob Morley

In article . com,
" says...
Derek * wrote:

For the epitome of Euuuchhh :

http://www.romark.co.uk/itemdisplay.asp?item=dk003.jpg

Which for me is reminiscent of prefab schools built for the

baby-boom.

yes, exactly what I'd expect to see on the average 40s door. Screwfix
still sell them.

I've used something similar to that on a couple of doors to replace
the original curved Bakelite levers which have broken. At some time
I might have a go at making replacements to the original pattern, but
until then the cheapo round knobs don't look out of place.