Steve P

"Charlie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Following our move I have finally got round to painting the original
1940s doors in the upstairs of the house.
These doors look like:
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/36372/9394.jpg

These have the most inappropriate 'black antique' door handles, without
any shaft or mortice latches - just the plastic roller latches. These
handles look like:

Downstairs we just have normal modern door 4 panel doors with door
handles like:

Anyway my questions a
What sort of door handles should I put on them?
Should I use an external latch?

Other points worth mentioning a
1) The roller latch which was fitted is the only latch that has been
fitted in the body of the door - and it doesn't line up with any
previous keyholes etc.

2) I guess originally some kind of surface latch was mounted on the
inside of the door

3) Any door handle is going to have to be mounted a lot higher than on
the doors downstairs. Is this going to look funny if I choose the same
door handles as downstairs.

4) The downstairs of the house has been extended twice and has a
comtemporary feel to the layout - open plan etc. However the upstairs
has the original room layout (1940's) and a less contemporary feel.

5) This is the last bit of decorating I'm doing on the house so I don't
want to have to go round changing other stuff if I can help it.

Any help would be gladly appreciated - I just feel uneasy with any
ideas I have come up with already.

Thanks in advance

Charlie

Check out http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/ for ideas?