Charlie wrote:
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
On 31 Mar 2005 02:44:53 -0800, "Charlie"

wrote:

Do you mean these?
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/40250/8018.jpg

Very similar.

Euuuccch! Glad you don't see too many of those around nowadays.

I dont think those fancy bezels would have been used in most cases.
More like just the plastic knob and a pressed metal washer, or a round
disc of plastic behind the knob.

Screwfix still sells what may have been fiited originally, black
plastic doorknbs, but who buys them I dont know. Euuuchhh is the word.

I didn't necessarily want to get original fittings. I really wanted
some advice with a view to getting something that wouldn't look out

of
place.

I'm leaning towards some white round porcelain door knobs at the
moment.

The 40s was a time of poverty. A cake would have taken a month's egg
rations. Throwing away anything edible was a criminal offence. People
dug their gardens up en masse and grew veg so they could eat.

Your doors would most likely have had very cheap nasty fittings. You
can just about make this look work if you have a whole house in 40s
styling, and are skilful at making crap look interesting. Otherwise I'd
abandon any attempt at orignality and use fittings that will look good
with the door now. I like your suggestion of a white porcelain knob,
seems to suit it.

If you want the knob lower down, a rim mechanism would enable that. So
would using a roller catch, no door knob is needed, just a latch.

You could also use the roller catch and add a doorknob lower down, just
pull the knob to open. I once watched someone turning the knob on such
a door back and forth in an attempt to get out!!

NT