Charlie

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
On 31 Mar 2005 02:44:53 -0800, "Charlie"
wrote:

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
On 31 Mar 2005 01:26:37 -0800, "Charlie"

wrote:

Following our move I have finally got round to painting the

original
1940s doors in the upstairs of the house.

Originally, these would have had brown bakelite handles, either

lever
or round. (How do I know? My parents house which was completed in
1939/1940 had almost identical doors.)

I doubt you'll find any lever ones as they tended to snap.

However,
the round ones should be available from a salvage yard.

Alternatively,
I have seen white plastic ones in an almost identical size/shape.

Do you mean these?
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/40250/8018.jpg

Very similar.

Euuuccch! Glad you don't see too many of those around nowadays.

I didn't necessarily want to get original fittings. I really wanted
some advice with a view to getting something that wouldn't look out of
place.

I'm leaning towards some white round porcelain door knobs at the
moment.