Default Hangin' a door!

Steven Bliss wrote:

I've done enough home repair & woodworking in my house to be pretty
comfortable with most anything "intermediate". I need to replace my front
door. I've bought an exterior door, framing is exact same size as the old
door (yes, I also measured the rough opening as well...the sticker on the
door frame said what I needed, and I'm where I should be). New & old are
steel, no side lights. It seems like everything is straight forward. I'm
intending to leave the door attached to keep the frame from racking while
installing. Seems like the easy way to do it for me. The door was shipped
with two small nails going from the outside (rough opening side) into the
door & left backed out about 1/4" . I'm thinking that I can install, then
cut the nails with a hack saw & setting them in the rest of the way. Putty
& then I'm done. The shims, finishing, Level & plumb, etc, I'm pretty
comfortable with. What's the word out there, door attached or unattached
when installing?

--

i bet it is easy to set the door with the frame on and all, but how you
gonna drive nails or screws into the frame from the door opening when
Don Task

"Steven Bliss" wrote in message m...

[snip of main text]
What's the word out there, door attached or unattached
when installing?

Steven,
The door remains attached at the hinges. However... the two small
nails (pins) you are referring to, were installed to maintain
alignment of the door and frame during shipping. To complete the
installation the pin needs to come out "before" you set the assembly
in place. Get the door next to the opening and ready to set, then pull
out the pins just before you set it into the opening.

Considering the cost associated with a prehung entrance door, I like
to make sure everything goes right! When I'm taking on a job I don't
do that frequently I like to ask questions the same as you. Just to
make sure all the bases are covered, a nice detailed, step by step
installation of an exterior door (with photos) can be found he Its
a link to one of the DIY.com pages. (Give it a second to redirect and
load)

http://tinyurl.com/kbuk

Here's another decent article from "This Old House." This link will
take you to the installation section (Page 5) of the article... be
sure to check the other headings in the article... e.g., Introduction,
PreHung Pitfalls, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/kbv2

Don