nightjar

"Charlie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Following our move I have finally got round to painting the original
1940s doors in the upstairs of the house.
These doors look like:
http://www.slvoimageserver.com/36372/9394.jpg

These have the most inappropriate 'black antique' door handles, without
any shaft or mortice latches - just the plastic roller latches. These
handles look like:

Downstairs we just have normal modern door 4 panel doors with door
handles like:

Anyway my questions a
What sort of door handles should I put on them?

That style of door is a utility (i.e. cheap) design and it would have had
utility door handles. As others have said, brown bakelite round handlees
with round escutcheons behind them are the most probable. I would use a
simple mortice latch with round brass handles to give a period feel, without
being too accurate about the period.

Colin Bignell