basil

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:30:29 +0100, "nightjar"
wrote:

That style of door is a utility (i.e. cheap) design and it would have had
utility door handles. As others have said, brown bakelite round handlees
with round escutcheons behind them are the most probable. I would use a
simple mortice latch with round brass handles to give a period feel, without
being too accurate about the period.

Colin Bignell

Utility doors didn't have panels!

These are typical 1930's doors, from Canada, Douglas Fir or Candian
Redwood. Clear of kNots they look good stripped and varnished. I'd
then put on Art Deco style (1920's 30's) handles eg:
http://www.doorchic.co.uk/site01/details.asp?id=150