AK

Default Trade emulsion

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

Cheers

Angela

TP

"AK" wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

I remember when, several years ago on "Changing Rooms", one of the
couples proudly returned from a trip to B&Q with a large plastic tub
of Trade Paint ...

and Handy Andy said "I see you've bought some Three-Coat Emulsion".

;-)

Moral of the story; treat the sheds' own-brand "trade" emulsion with
the greatest caution.

Of course, if you go to a trade supplier and buy a *branded* trade
paint, you will find it is of very good quality, and often needs to be
thinned before use.

Cycle

"AK" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

Cheers

Angela

Have you noticed there is a bit of help from Dulux to answer this question
about Dulux products, on the Dulux web page under Frequently Asked
Questions? I am not much wiser after reading it though; different
consistency because professionals like to thin their paint, both are "made
to the same ... specification" but have a "different formulation".

G&M

"AK" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

Don't buy any own brand paint - trade or DIY. The price looks cheap but
per m^2 of finished job it inevitably works out more expensive.

But if you mean Dulux Trade it does have a different consistancy. I think
this may be because professional painters thin the paint to get it on faster
so it needs more pigment.

AK

"G&M" wrote in message

"AK" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion

and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and

standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

Don't buy any own brand paint - trade or DIY. The price looks

cheap but
per m^2 of finished job it inevitably works out more expensive.

But if you mean Dulux Trade it does have a different consistancy.

I think
this may be because professional painters thin the paint to get it

on faster
so it needs more pigment.

I usually buy Dulux or Crown, I have experienced how rubbish shed
brand paints are so avoid them. Somebody told me Albany paints are
pretty good but I have no experience of them so I am wary of using
them. there is a colour I like in National Trust paint, but as I am
doing the hall and stairs of a 3 story house I would have to sell my
soul to the devil to be able to afford to buy enough. Albany have
(what looks like) the same colour, but am very wary as I have never
used it before.

So.......this may be another daft question but if I use trade paint
and don't thin it down is it likely that I may get away with just one
coat (the colours are very similar anyway)?

Angela

RichardS

"AK" wrote in message

"G&M" wrote in message

"AK" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt it.

I've just painted the downstairs receptions using Farrow & Ball Estate
Emulsion, and even painting on an even base of fresh brilliant white matt
there was no way that I could achieve an even coating using just one coat.
This is pretty good paint, but even this required a second coat.

I used to use Dulux Trade pretty much exclusively when decorating, but after
lengthy conversations with the decorator in the family switched to Leyland
or Johnstones, and I don't notice the difference - in application or finish
(and I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to decorating). The
difference that I do notice is in the price - not far off half the price of
the Dulux.

Albany falls somewhere in the middle of the price IIRC. There's a Brewers
near us, and though I've used it once I don't really like it as a store
because they only sell Dulux and their own brand - Albany - in the trade
paints. They're not particularly cheap, either.

If I were you I'd go with two coats, and not thin the paint (I never have,
and to my knowledge the decorator doesn't, either).

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Michael Mcneil

"TP" wrote in message

"AK" wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion and
emulsion for sale in the sheds?

I remember when, several years ago on "Changing Rooms", one of the
couples proudly returned from a trip to B&Q with a large plastic tub
of Trade Paint ...
and Handy Andy said "I see you've bought some Three-Coat Emulsion".

It's called trade paint beause it is used in the trade on newly finished
houses to give, on fresh finished therefore one coloured walls, two
coats of paint that will allow the plaster to breathe. In 6 months time
it will need coating with acrylic.

Possibly the formulation that the Dulux site is talking about means that
the same colour will be obtained from both types. Hence no bad patches
with bits you miss.

On the changing room type programmes they tend to use a lot of MDF which
will take good quality paint straight off. A cheap white undercoat and
the top coat in a colour of your choice will do on that stuff. Or two
coats of the colour.

N. Thornton

"AK" wrote in message ...
"G&M" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion

and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and

standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

Trade emulsion is very low quality breathable paint, more like
distempter than vinyl emulsion. I think many people are fooled into
thinking its a good safe buy because its called 'trade.'

Leyland do some good quality paints, and at sensible prices. See
screwfix.com. Dulux I've had very mixed results with, and their prices
can be a bit stupid.

So.......this may be another daft question but if I use trade paint
and don't thin it down is it likely that I may get away with just one
coat (the colours are very similar anyway)?

Angela

No chance. If not thinned, no chance, unless youre unfussy about the
finish. FWIW I'd avoid the so called trade paints except when going
onto fresh plaster. Theyre simply carp.

Regards, NT
Mike Mitchell

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:50:02 +0100, TP wrote:

"AK" wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

I remember when, several years ago on "Changing Rooms", one of the
couples proudly returned from a trip to B&Q with a large plastic tub
of Trade Paint ...

and Handy Andy said "I see you've bought some Three-Coat Emulsion".

;-)

Moral of the story; treat the sheds' own-brand "trade" emulsion with
the greatest caution.

Of course, if you go to a trade supplier and buy a *branded* trade
paint, you will find it is of very good quality, and often needs to be
thinned before use.

Dulux or Crown are fine for woodwork, e.g. satin wood, or gloss. But I
would *never* pay the extortionate price they demand for ordinary
emulsion for walls. I used the Homebase brand extensively (matt white
emulsion), which is roughly half the price of Dulux. After painting a
whole house with it, I know that it is just as good as the Dulux brand
in covering and whiteness, as I have used Dulux emulsion before. Also,
it doesn't smell so bad (the Dulux stuff seems to smell of rotten eggs
while it's drying).

As for all the "posh" paints, like Farrow & Ball or National Trust,
well, to my mind people just have more money than sense! It's only
paint, for heck's sake!

The secret is in the preparation, anyway. That's where the effort
goes, or should. Get a good surface to start with and you can get
excellent results with Woolworths own brand!

MM
Andy Hall

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:31:41 +0100, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

As for all the "posh" paints, like Farrow & Ball or National Trust,
well, to my mind people just have more money than sense! It's only
paint, for heck's sake!

F&B paints are of much better quality than Dulux IME, although the
main issue is the colour selection. Even with the Dulux mix and
match or whatever they call it, I often have difficulty finding the
one I want. Usually F&B does have something suitable, and I much
prefer using it as well as the texture of the result.

The secret is in the preparation, anyway. That's where the effort
goes, or should.

That's always true.

Get a good surface to start with and you can get
excellent results with Woolworths own brand!

That is stretching it.....

MM

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Pet

G&M wrote:

Don't buy any own brand paint - trade or DIY. The price looks cheap but
per m^2 of finished job it inevitably works out more expensive.

I disagree.
Having recently had the whole of the living area of our house
re-plastered including ceilings, I can vouch for Wickes' Trade white
emulsion.
Applied by roller it covered all walls and fresh plaster in a single
coat applied by roller.

That's 2 x 6x4m rooms with ceilings.

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!
Jerry Built

AK wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion
and emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and
standard emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the
difference is!!

Trade is generally a higher specification in terms of opacity. I've
been using a lot of Dulux trade magnolia and white recently (vinyl
silk/matt respectively). You can't get much better, you can easily
get much inferior. The white needs a good stir before application.
Some Crown (cheaper) I got for an extra ceiling was IMO crap, thin
and runny needing three coats! Get vinyl emulsion if you can, it
lasts better and is easier to clean. It should have "vinyl" written
on the tub, avoid very low VOC paints! IMO these are not so good.
Brewers do an "Albany" range which is good too, I like it nearly
as much as the Dulux trade range.

The "trade" term also tends to mean that the paints respond well
to good application techniques - "DIY" paints tend to have non-
drip formulation etc, which I find a positive barrier to obtaining
decent results.

J.B.
G&M

"Pet" wrote in message
G&M wrote:

Don't buy any own brand paint - trade or DIY. The price looks cheap

but
per m^2 of finished job it inevitably works out more expensive.

I disagree.
Having recently had the whole of the living area of our house
re-plastered including ceilings, I can vouch for Wickes' Trade white
emulsion.

But the current price of Dulux White emulsion in B&Q and Tesco of all places
is cheaper than Wicke's own brand. So unless the Wickes one goes further

G&M

wrote:

As for all the "posh" paints, like Farrow & Ball or National Trust,
well, to my mind people just have more money than sense! It's only
paint, for heck's sake!

F&B paints are of much better quality than Dulux IME, although the
main issue is the colour selection. Even with the Dulux mix and
match or whatever they call it, I often have difficulty finding the
one I want.

If you have the time, send them a sample and they usually match it well.
There used to be a scanner system in some places to get an exact match but
these seem to be rarer. I did try to decode their pigment codes for the
mixer machine but there appears to be some sort of scrambling applied to
stop you asking for the exact CMY you require.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:27:02 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

As for all the "posh" paints, like Farrow & Ball or National Trust,
well, to my mind people just have more money than sense! It's only
paint, for heck's sake!

F&B paints are of much better quality than Dulux IME, although the
main issue is the colour selection. Even with the Dulux mix and
match or whatever they call it, I often have difficulty finding the
one I want.

If you have the time, send them a sample and they usually match it well.
There used to be a scanner system in some places to get an exact match but
these seem to be rarer. I did try to decode their pigment codes for the
mixer machine but there appears to be some sort of scrambling applied to
stop you asking for the exact CMY you require.

I have tried that, but not with good success.

The only system of this type that I have found to be reasonable is the
Jotun one for their exterior paints.

Defined colours do appear to be registered and perhaps copyrighted -
e.g. Pantone. Certainly F&B protect theirs.

I've found that the colour is only part of the equation, there are
other effects which I can only assume are to do with the formulation.
For example, I've used F&B's Lime White Estate Emulsion in a couple of
applications and have not been able to duplicate it in colour or
appearance with anything else.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
stuart noble

Andy Hall wrote in message ...
I've found that the colour is only part of the equation, there are
other effects which I can only assume are to do with the formulation.
For example, I've used F&B's Lime White Estate Emulsion in a couple of
applications and have not been able to duplicate it in colour or
appearance with anything else.

The story goes that F&B still use traditional edge grinding to disperse
their pigments, which results in a coarser mix.

Mike Mitchell

wrote:

As for all the "posh" paints, like Farrow & Ball or National Trust,
well, to my mind people just have more money than sense! It's only
paint, for heck's sake!

F&B paints are of much better quality than Dulux IME, although the
main issue is the colour selection. Even with the Dulux mix and
match or whatever they call it, I often have difficulty finding the
one I want. Usually F&B does have something suitable, and I much
prefer using it as well as the texture of the result.

The secret is in the preparation, anyway. That's where the effort
goes, or should.

That's always true.

Get a good surface to start with and you can get
excellent results with Woolworths own brand!

That is stretching it.....

I'll bet any proficient painter will get a better finish using poor
paint on a good surface than the other way round.

MM
Christian McArdle

I'll bet any proficient painter will get a better finish using poor
paint on a good surface than the other way round.

You clearly have never used B&Q "Value" emulsion.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

But the current price of Dulux White emulsion in B&Q and Tesco of all
places
is cheaper than Wicke's own brand. So unless the Wickes one goes further

Wickes isn't actually that bad. I've used it before. However, I just use
Dulux Trade now. They'll mix it up on the spot to any colour you like.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

AK wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

Cheers

Angela

Very little. Traade is at first site cheaper, but its basically usually
just thinner anyway.

We gave up and went for all Farrow and Ball. may be a little more
expensive, but its solid pigment all the way through.

The Natural Philosopher

"AK" wrote:

[...]

No, it isn't. NOTHING looks like Farrow and ball paint except Farrow and
ball paint.

It really is a different class altogether.

The secret is in the preparation, anyway. That's where the effort
goes, or should. Get a good surface to start with and you can get
excellent results with Woolworths own brand!

MM

Mike Mitchell

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:09:07 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I'll bet any proficient painter will get a better finish using poor
paint on a good surface than the other way round.

You clearly have never used B&Q "Value" emulsion.

Indeed. Does anyone shop at B&Q any more? Homebase staff are far more
helpful, neater, tidier, and the shops just look more inviting than
B&Q sheds.

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:23:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mike Mitchell wrote:

As for all the "posh" paints, like Farrow & Ball or National Trust,
well, to my mind people just have more money than sense! It's only
paint, for heck's sake!

No, it isn't. NOTHING looks like Farrow and ball paint except Farrow and
ball paint.

It really is a different class altogether.

I don't believe it, sorry. Nothing would ever persuade me that the
"posh" paints are worth the money. They trade on people who fall for
the scam, just like the dressed-to-the-nines old biddies who shop at
Waitrose and would never dream of buying exactly the same product much
cheaper at ASDA.

MM

Bob Eager

wrote:

I'll bet any proficient painter will get a better finish using poor
paint on a good surface than the other way round.

You clearly have never used B&Q "Value" emulsion.

Indeed. Does anyone shop at B&Q any more? Homebase staff are far more
helpful, neater, tidier, and the shops just look more inviting than
B&Q sheds.

Not round here. IMHO it's down to the local manager.

Also, I can put up with a lot for the considerably lower prices.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Christian McArdle

Indeed. Does anyone shop at B&Q any more? Homebase staff are far more
helpful, neater, tidier, and the shops just look more inviting than
B&Q sheds.

Sorry, I'm not a millionaire, so I can't afford to go there. Buying from
Homebase and Focus makes me physically sick, as I know how much the stuff
should have cost.

Apart from that, Homebase and Focus shops are much smaller and only have a
narrow range of more "consumer" items. Focus sells cat food FFS.

Finally, B&Q staff are vastly more knowledgable than the Homebase and Focus,
possibly because the B&Q warehouse is actually heavily frequently by trade
customers, giving more learning opportunities for the staff by having to
answer more technical questions.

I find B&Q prices consistently below BM prices. Sometimes they are less than
half the price even after the "discount" the BMs invariably offer.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

They trade on people who fall for the scam, just like the
dressed-to-the-nines old biddies who shop at Waitrose and would
never dream of buying exactly the same product much cheaper
at ASDA.

Hmmm. My mum shops at Waitrose, whilst I'm unfortunately in the ASDA period
of my life. The Waitrose products are vastly superior in every regard (apart
from price). The ASDA fresh food looks rotten on the shelf in comparison,
and you have to pay* for a trolley. I do not carry cash on me and the
trolleys don't take credit cards.

I always thought it odd that Lower Earley had the Asda, whilst Whitley gets
the Safeway. I'd have thought a quick swap in some backroom deal would have
been appropriate.

Christian.

* I really mean pay. The trolleys are so old and knackered that you can
almost guarantee that the quid will fall out unnoticed. If you want a
trolley with more than 3 wheels, then you need 2 quid, so you can shuffle
the trolleys about until the unlikely event you find one that actually moves
in a forward direction.

Christian McArdle

Very little. Traade is at first site cheaper, but its basically usually
just thinner anyway.

We're talking about own brand filth here, though. Proper brand trade paint
is a superior product. It's worth finding your local Dulux or Crown Trade
counter to buy it.

Christian.

Bob Mannix

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Very little. Traade is at first site cheaper, but its basically usually
just thinner anyway.

We're talking about own brand filth here, though. Proper brand trade paint
is a superior product. It's worth finding your local Dulux or Crown Trade
counter to buy it.

Quite - I was going to say exactly that. The sheds do sometimes carry Dulux
trade. I always use Dulux trade liquid emulsion as you get a better finish
(once you have got used to it).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Mike Mitchell

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:43:29 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

They trade on people who fall for the scam, just like the
dressed-to-the-nines old biddies who shop at Waitrose and would
never dream of buying exactly the same product much cheaper
at ASDA.

Hmmm. My mum shops at Waitrose, whilst I'm unfortunately in the ASDA period
of my life. The Waitrose products are vastly superior in every regard (apart
from price).

Not even superior. ASDA do their own brand of Bonne Maman Strawberry
Jam (same jar, same content, same size, same taste) for 92p. Bonne
Maman (at Waitrose) i-ching £1.52! Most things are more expensive at
Waitrose, sometimes vastly so. Yes, the quality is good on fresh meat
and fish. But cornflakes? Butter and spreads? Cheese? Bread? Cooked
meats? There is no difference between Waitrose and ASDA/Tesco, except
that the Waitrose product will nearly always cost more. I only know
this because I park for free (as I do at ASDA!) at Waitrose while I go
to the Nationwide, then I pop into the store on the way back for one
or two staples like milk, which they do sell at the same price as the
others.However, you do get a far better class of assistant in
Waitrose, and in summer, when the schools are out, the young ladies at
the checkouts are incredibly well-spoken, polite, and usually very
attractive, upper-class totty. Well, yer pays yer money...

The ASDA fresh food looks rotten on the shelf in comparison,

Oh, I don't agree with that at all. It does not look rotten! You must
have a pretty crappy store in your area to think that.

and you have to pay* for a trolley. I do not carry cash on me and the
trolleys don't take credit cards.

Not the ASDA I frequent. No coins needed.

MM
Jerry Built

Mike Mitchell wrote:
As for all the "posh" paints, like Farrow & Ball or National
Trust, well, to my mind people just have more money than
sense! It's only paint, for heck's sake!

No, it isn't. NOTHING looks like Farrow and ball paint except
Farrow and ball paint.

It really is a different class altogether.

I don't believe it, sorry. Nothing would ever persuade me that
the "posh" paints are worth the money. They trade on people who
fall for the scam, just like the dressed-to-the-nines old
biddies who shop at Waitrose and would never dream of buying
exactly the same product much cheaper at ASDA.

I'm with you on this one, until you get to conservation-type
paints prepared in small batches with high production costs
- then there are better things to put on the inside of
domestic buildings than mixtures of chalk, fat etc. anyway!

J.B.

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Mike Mitchell wrote:

As for all the "posh" paints, like Farrow & Ball or National Trust,
well, to my mind people just have more money than sense! It's only
paint, for heck's sake!

No, it isn't. NOTHING looks like Farrow and ball paint except Farrow and
ball paint.

It really is a different class altogether.

I don't believe it, sorry. Nothing would ever persuade me that the
"posh" paints are worth the money. They trade on people who fall for
the scam, just like the dressed-to-the-nines old biddies who shop at
Waitrose and would never dream of buying exactly the same product much
cheaper at ASDA.

Yoiu haven't used it?

No. Thought not.

I had precisely your opinon till I was persuaded to by the other half.
In this rare single instance, she proved to be correct. The pigment to
matrix ratio apperas to be about three times higher than any other
emulison I have used bar none. The effect is of a wall plsstered in
soild coloured plaster., rather than painted.

The oil paints however are not as dramatically better than other satins
and matts.

MM

AK wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

Cheers

Angela

Trade emulsion is thicker in constsistency and has a higher pigment
level. Why? Basically because a painter is expected to achieve a higher
standard of work than a D.I.Y. paint user and the paint does what the
painter can't. Trade emulsions do vary in quality but most achieve a
higher quality finish. It should also be remembered that shed retail
brands (Dulux, Crown) are lower in consistency & pigment to attract
D.I.Y. users with attractive prices. Trade brands (again Dulux, Crown
etc.) are generally higher in cost both productive and selling but you
should remember you do genuinely buy quality in most cases. Own brand
shed paints have improved over the years but don't be attracted with
low prices. Own brand Trade paints are acceptable but again low price
doesn't guarantee high quality.

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...

AK wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

Trade emulsion is thicker in constsistency and has a higher pigment
level. Why? Basically because a painter is expected to achieve a higher
standard of work than a D.I.Y. paint user and the paint does what the
painter can't. Trade emulsions do vary in quality but most achieve a
higher quality finish. It should also be remembered that shed retail
brands (Dulux, Crown) are lower in consistency & pigment to attract
D.I.Y. users with attractive prices. Trade brands (again Dulux, Crown
etc.) are generally higher in cost both productive and selling but you
should remember you do genuinely buy quality in most cases.

If you buy the "mixed in store" colours, the Dulux ones say Trade Emulsion
on the base colour can and these are thinner in consistancy than the
standard Dulux stuff.

Ian Middleton

"Mike" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

AK wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion and

snip

If you buy the "mixed in store" colours, the Dulux ones say Trade Emulsion
on the base colour can and these are thinner in consistancy than the
standard Dulux stuff.

Not always true the base. Some B&Q stores use Trade base and others standard
base !!!!

We had a problem with our lounge piant, got a Dulux tester mixed, colour was
fine by SWMBO. Went to store said "yip I'll have 10litres of the colour of
this sample please".
Got home opened one 5l can, wrong colour very clearly, dozy staff had mixed
using wrong shade base.
Opened second can, looked OK, put on wall. Colour dried different from
sample.

Went back to B&Q and found out that sample was mixed using standard base and
5l mixed using Trade base and machine should change the mixture to
compensate. Fault reported to Dulux. Meanwhile got £100's pounds of B&Q
vouchers and went to another B&Q store where after more cans of incorrect
base shade eventually mixed up 10l of correct colour paint using standard
(non trade) base.