RichardS

Default Trade emulsion

"AK" wrote in message

"G&M" wrote in message

"AK" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion

and
emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and

standard
emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the difference
is!!

Don't buy any own brand paint - trade or DIY. The price looks

cheap but
per m^2 of finished job it inevitably works out more expensive.

But if you mean Dulux Trade it does have a different consistancy.

I think
this may be because professional painters thin the paint to get it

on faster
so it needs more pigment.

I usually buy Dulux or Crown, I have experienced how rubbish shed
brand paints are so avoid them. Somebody told me Albany paints are
pretty good but I have no experience of them so I am wary of using
them. there is a colour I like in National Trust paint, but as I am
doing the hall and stairs of a 3 story house I would have to sell my
soul to the devil to be able to afford to buy enough. Albany have
(what looks like) the same colour, but am very wary as I have never
used it before.

So.......this may be another daft question but if I use trade paint
and don't thin it down is it likely that I may get away with just one
coat (the colours are very similar anyway)?

Angela

I doubt it.

I've just painted the downstairs receptions using Farrow & Ball Estate
Emulsion, and even painting on an even base of fresh brilliant white matt
there was no way that I could achieve an even coating using just one coat.
This is pretty good paint, but even this required a second coat.

I used to use Dulux Trade pretty much exclusively when decorating, but after
lengthy conversations with the decorator in the family switched to Leyland
or Johnstones, and I don't notice the difference - in application or finish
(and I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to decorating). The
difference that I do notice is in the price - not far off half the price of
the Dulux.

Albany falls somewhere in the middle of the price IIRC. There's a Brewers
near us, and though I've used it once I don't really like it as a store
because they only sell Dulux and their own brand - Albany - in the trade
paints. They're not particularly cheap, either.

If I were you I'd go with two coats, and not thin the paint (I never have,
and to my knowledge the decorator doesn't, either).

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk