Jerry Built

Default Trade emulsion

AK wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trade emulsion
and emulsion for sale in the sheds? I can buy both Trade and
standard emulsion at my local Brewers but I don't know what the
difference is!!

Trade is generally a higher specification in terms of opacity. I've
been using a lot of Dulux trade magnolia and white recently (vinyl
silk/matt respectively). You can't get much better, you can easily
get much inferior. The white needs a good stir before application.
Some Crown (cheaper) I got for an extra ceiling was IMO crap, thin
and runny needing three coats! Get vinyl emulsion if you can, it
lasts better and is easier to clean. It should have "vinyl" written
on the tub, avoid very low VOC paints! IMO these are not so good.
Brewers do an "Albany" range which is good too, I like it nearly
as much as the Dulux trade range.

The "trade" term also tends to mean that the paints respond well
to good application techniques - "DIY" paints tend to have non-
drip formulation etc, which I find a positive barrier to obtaining
decent results.

J.B.