Old March 18th 05, 03:51 PM
kmillar

The other thing is remembering to take everything with you
when go down there. It's annoying to spend 5 minutes wriggling
from one end of the house to the other on your belly (through
the small holes someone else has fortunately already knocked
through the sleeper walls) only to find you've forgotten the
solder or flux or steel wool, and you've got to go all the
way back again!

Have you been round to my house? That's exactly what it's like!
And now that spring has sprung I'm expecting to come across loads of
spiders etc down there. Last time I was down was January when it was
too cold for spiders.

The recent rain and mild weather will soon have the place crawling with
them again no doubt.

Thanks again everyone.

Old March 18th 05, 04:11 PM
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"kmillar" writes:
Have you been round to my house? That's exactly what it's like!
And now that spring has sprung I'm expecting to come across loads of
spiders etc down there. Last time I was down was January when it was
too cold for spiders.

I've not seen any spiders under my floor. There are plenty of derelict
webs, but I rather suspect the owners were just occasional visitors
over the last 100 years and died of starvation as they didn't catch
any food.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old March 18th 05, 04:56 PM
Rick

On 18 Mar 2005 03:44:05 -0800, "kmillar" wrote:

I need to add a new radiator to my house (hallway has none and it's
cold!)

I plan to tap into the CH Flow and Return pipes which already run
underneath there, and plan to use solder ring connections.

My question is this, the access panel for my crawl space is at the
opposite side of the house, so I have to go down beneath the floor and
haul myself along through the rubble to the place where the pipes will
go.

How safe is it to use a blow torch in this confined space? (About 18
inches of verticle space benathe the floors). Apart from the obvious
need to not set the house on fire, I'm more interested in the fumes
given off by the blow lamp. What can I do about those?

I'd rather not use 'speedfix' or compression if I can avoid it, just
for peice of mind.

-K

I took the following approach

1) clean out lots of rubble to make getting accross the space easier
2) make a comfotable working space - this is key, if you are in pain
when you work, you will mess it up, and its dangerous
3) get some good light in place
4) take all the tools down the hole I needed
5) use heatproff mats to protect the wood
6) keep the flame on for as little as possible, without being stupid
about it, you are only going to run the flame for a short time, so not
much air will be used up.

last and most important, if its a dangerous job, make sure sombody
else is arround in case all goes wrong. I work a lot on my own, and
when SHMBO is arround I do all the dangerous stuff

Rick

Old March 18th 05, 05:36 PM
mike ring

Rick wrote in
:

I work a lot on my own, and when SHMBO is arround I do all the dangerous
stuff

Haven't you got your priorities wrong here?

;o)

mike
Old March 18th 05, 06:35 PM
Rick

On 18 Mar 2005 17:36:43 GMT, mike ring
wrote:

Rick wrote in
:

I work a lot on my own, and when SHMBO is arround I do all the dangerous
stuff

Haven't you got your priorities wrong here?

;o)

mike

If I wack myself with a hammer, it hurts, if I slip with a chainsaw I
need sombody to call the air ambulance :-) My neighbours are so far
away, they would not hear the screams, and sheep can't go get help -
useless animals.

Rick

Old March 18th 05, 09:00 PM
The Natural Philosopher

kmillar wrote:

I need to add a new radiator to my house (hallway has none and it's
cold!)

I plan to tap into the CH Flow and Return pipes which already run
underneath there, and plan to use solder ring connections.

My question is this, the access panel for my crawl space is at the
opposite side of the house, so I have to go down beneath the floor and
haul myself along through the rubble to the place where the pipes will
go.

How safe is it to use a blow torch in this confined space? (About 18
inches of verticle space benathe the floors). Apart from the obvious
need to not set the house on fire, I'm more interested in the fumes
given off by the blow lamp. What can I do about those?

You will be fine. As long as its not hermetically sealed. You will
produce fumes faster than a few soldered joints with a torch will.

Anyway teh first signs of anoxia and CO2 overdose is feeling dizzy and
headachy, so just watch out for feeling rough, and if you do, break for
a cuppa.

In fact, do that anyway. wortkng in 15" of rubble infested space you
will need it.

Or if really paranoid use a fan. Coal miners work in less than 15"
sometimes. Forced air keeps them alive.

I'd rather not use 'speedfix' or compression if I can avoid it, just
for peice of mind.

Peace of mind? Or a piece of my mind?

-K

Old March 18th 05, 09:02 PM
The Natural Philosopher

One place I did notice the effect of the fumes was when
soldering in the back of a kitchen cupboard. It wasn't the
effect they had on me, but that they caused the 20 or so
spiders in the cupboard (the harvester things with long legs)
to all come running out at the same instant, all straight
into my face. Fortunately I don't have a problem with spiders,
but even so, it's not really what you want to happen when you
have a lighted blowlamp in hand.

I would have thought a lit blowlamp was an ideal way to rid yourself of
these marauding aliens..

Old March 18th 05, 09:54 PM
mike ring

Rick wrote in
:

I work a lot on my own, and when SHMBO is arround I do all the
dangerous
stuff

Haven't you got your priorities wrong here?

;o)

mike

If I wack myself with a hammer, it hurts, if I slip with a chainsaw I
need sombody to call the air ambulance :-)

My idea was that SWMBO does the risky stuff while *you* be ready to call
999!

mike
Old March 19th 05, 12:02 AM
Owain

Rick wrote:
If I wack myself with a hammer, it hurts, if I slip with a chainsaw I
need sombody to call the air ambulance :-) My neighbours are so far
away, they would not hear the screams, and sheep can't go get help -
useless animals.

That's why Lassie was a dog and why Perendale Rescue never made it as a
tv series, even in New Zealand

Owain

Old March 19th 05, 12:41 AM
Doctor Evil

"[news]" wrote in message
news
kmillar wrote:
[...]

so use copper pushfit instead ?

can't see what all the fuss is with pushfit, used correctly there's

nothing
wrong with it nor is there anything to be ashmed of. purists may argue
differently but refusing to use pushfit over copper end feed is ludditism
of the highest order.

You really don't know do you? Best use solder as the space in generally
inaccessible.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

soldering to brass Grant Erwin Metalworking 16 April 29th 04 04:54 AM
How do tell a liquid from a solid? Jeffrey Lindemuth Metalworking 20 December 29th 03 05:16 PM
Solder Bryan Electronics 2 August 23rd 03 07:37 PM
I LOVE Speedfit! David W.E. Roberts UK diy 53 August 14th 03 05:05 PM
Why solder will not melt? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 2 June 24th 03 02:12 PM