In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
wrote:
Open any plumbers van these days and you will find them full of plastic,
the norm is to use plastic where they can, copper where its visible or
necessary (rad tails etc)

Well, yes, but then they don't have to live in the house - or worry about
things lasting more than a year or so.

Come on Dave, these aren't just fly by night plumbers who rip-em-off and
run-off, these are reputable companies that *will* put things right if
they go wrong, the two houses going up behind me are being built to a
very high standard with lots of extra touches going in that the
purchasers won't even know about, the company doing the plumbing are a
firm that get all their work through recommendation, they use plastic
extensively. We've just had a new boiler installed and some extra
pipework put in at our local village hall, we asked a lot of questions
before settling on a company to do it to make sure we had quality of
workmanship and guarantees in place that meant something, the only place
they used copper was where the pipe was visible, the owner of the
company (who I got to know well) told me that plastic has become the
norm for him, this is another company that gets work through
recommendation. I don't believe that these companies are risking their
reputations by using materials that will fail after a year, they have
been around for many years and expect to be around for a lot more.

--
David