Old March 18th 05, 11:44 AM
kmillar

Default Solder joints beneath floor - safety?

I need to add a new radiator to my house (hallway has none and it's
cold!)

I plan to tap into the CH Flow and Return pipes which already run
underneath there, and plan to use solder ring connections.

My question is this, the access panel for my crawl space is at the
opposite side of the house, so I have to go down beneath the floor and
haul myself along through the rubble to the place where the pipes will
go.

How safe is it to use a blow torch in this confined space? (About 18
inches of verticle space benathe the floors). Apart from the obvious
need to not set the house on fire, I'm more interested in the fumes
given off by the blow lamp. What can I do about those?

I'd rather not use 'speedfix' or compression if I can avoid it, just
for peice of mind.

-K

Old March 18th 05, 11:48 AM
[news]

kmillar wrote:
[...]

so use copper pushfit instead ?

can't see what all the fuss is with pushfit, used correctly there's nothing
wrong with it nor is there anything to be ashmed of. purists may argue
differently but refusing to use pushfit over copper end feed is ludditism
of the highest order.

RT

Old March 18th 05, 12:04 PM
fred

In article .com
, kmillar writes
How safe is it to use a blow torch in this confined space? (About 18
inches of verticle space benathe the floors). Apart from the obvious
need to not set the house on fire,

I'm more interested in the fumes
given off by the blow lamp. What can I do about those?

Carbon Dioxide & water :-), you may get some smoke if you overcook the
flux but I wouldn't worry for one joint. Try to ventilate the space.
--
fred
Old March 18th 05, 12:28 PM
Chris Bacon

kmillar wrote:
How safe is it to use a blow torch in this confined space? (About 18
inches of verticle space benathe the floors). Apart from the obvious
need to not set the house on fire, I'm more interested in the fumes
given off by the blow lamp. What can I do about those?

It'll be fine. It's not, or rather shouldn't be, a source of carbon
monoxide, and you won't need it on for long, anyway. Take care that hot
flux or solder doesn't drip on you.
Old March 18th 05, 12:32 PM

Is there no way you can get at the job from above ? e.g. cutting a
piece of floorboard ? Working beneath the job in a confined space is
certain to be more difficult and prone to accident, e.g. touching hot
pipework / blowtorch, hot solder dripping onto you etc. I've been
under our floor with a similar space recently to run some electric
cables and it can be difficult to breath even without a blowtorch
stealing the oxygen and warming the air around.

Old March 18th 05, 01:11 PM
kmillar

Is there no way you can get at the job from above ?

Unfortunately not, a new laminate floor was put down just a few months
ago, and it can't be disturbed.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Old March 18th 05, 01:58 PM
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"kmillar" writes:

How safe is it to use a blow torch in this confined space? (About 18
inches of verticle space benathe the floors). Apart from the obvious
need to not set the house on fire, I'm more interested in the fumes
given off by the blow lamp. What can I do about those?

I've done plenty of this and it hasn't been a problem.
I have only lit the blowlamp when I need to use it, which
means it will only operate upright as the preheat coil
doesn't get a chance to get to operating temperature, but
that's the only way up I need to use it under the floor.
It was not so much the fumes I was worried about as knocking
it over -- much of the underfloor space in my house seems to
have been used as the dumping area for a previously removed
smashed up floor together with wood shavings presumably left
from when the house was built, and I was concerned about
setting it alight. I took a 1kg dry powder extinguisher
with me under the floor too. It might be a good idea to have
someone else in the house too to keep an eye out incase you
get into some difficulty.

The other thing is remembering to take everything with you
when go down there. It's annoying to spend 5 minutes wriggling
from one end of the house to the other on your belly (through
the small holes someone else has fortunately already knocked
through the sleeper walls) only to find you've forgotten the
solder or flux or steel wool, and you've got to go all the
way back again!

One place I did notice the effect of the fumes was when
soldering in the back of a kitchen cupboard. It wasn't the
effect they had on me, but that they caused the 20 or so
spiders in the cupboard (the harvester things with long legs)
to all come running out at the same instant, all straight
into my face. Fortunately I don't have a problem with spiders,
but even so, it's not really what you want to happen when you
have a lighted blowlamp in hand.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old March 18th 05, 02:04 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
kmillar wrote:
How safe is it to use a blow torch in this confined space? (About 18
inches of verticle space benathe the floors). Apart from the obvious
need to not set the house on fire, I'm more interested in the fumes
given off by the blow lamp. What can I do about those?

The fumes from a blowlamp are really no different to the fumes from a gas
hob in the kitchen. And the floor void is hopefully ventilated, anyway.

But it's the one place I'd use my Antex Pipemaster electric pipe heater.
It's too painfully slow for other stuff, but ideal for this sort of
location if you're not too experienced. You might find one in a hire shop,
as they're costly at around 45 quid.

I'd rather not use 'speedfix' or compression if I can avoid it, just
for peice of mind.

Think you're being controversial. ;-)

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 18th 05, 02:29 PM
andrewpreece

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article .com,
"kmillar" writes:

One place I did notice the effect of the fumes was when
soldering in the back of a kitchen cupboard. It wasn't the
effect they had on me, but that they caused the 20 or so
spiders in the cupboard (the harvester things with long legs)
to all come running out at the same instant, all straight
into my face. Fortunately I don't have a problem with spiders,
but even so, it's not really what you want to happen when you
have a lighted blowlamp in hand.

They are Cardinal Spiders, I know them very well since they haunt the
dark spaces under my floor.....

Andy

Old March 18th 05, 03:42 PM
[email protected]

it's not really what you want to happen when you
have a lighted blowlamp in hand.

At the risk of upsetting the Arachnid rights lobby, I can't think of a
better time to be attacked by spiders than when I had a lighted
blowlamp in hand.

soldering to brass Grant Erwin Metalworking 16 April 29th 04 04:54 AM
How do tell a liquid from a solid? Jeffrey Lindemuth Metalworking 20 December 29th 03 05:16 PM
Solder Bryan Electronics 2 August 23rd 03 07:37 PM
I LOVE Speedfit! David W.E. Roberts UK diy 53 August 14th 03 05:05 PM
Why solder will not melt? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 2 June 24th 03 02:12 PM