In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I've 2 plumbers in the family and they rarely use copper and only in the
circumstances you and I mention. far too much faffing about, especially
when time is money, especially OPM (other peoples money)

Seems like a good reason to DIY, where time isn't money.
The heating system I installed 3 years ago is all copper,
with end-feed soldered joints. (It was last drained and
filled 2 years ago, and has not needed topping up since.)

Yup. Surely the main reason to DIY is to get the best possible end result
*and* save money?

Copper tube with solder fittings is cheaper than push fit plastic - and
*proved* to last a lifetime and more.

This is not so though Dave, the only plumbing failures I have had in my
current house are pin holes in the copper pipe. I think the influx of
cheap imported copper in the last few years is a bit of a time bomb, you
must have compared wall thicknesses? some of this imported pipe must be
difficult to bend without getting a kink, its so thin.
--
David