Rod Hewitt

Default Part P in Guardian!

Has anyone else seen the article TO DIE FOR by Caroline Roux, The Guardian
Weekend/January 29?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...399860,00.html

Seems that Part P is starting to be mentioned in the more general media at
last. Funny how little I noticed before in came into force.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

Stefek Zaba

Rod Hewitt wrote:
Has anyone else seen the article TO DIE FOR by Caroline Roux, The Guardian
Weekend/January 29?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...399860,00.html

Sigh. I hadn't; but whoever NICEIC hired as a PR company has clearly
been doing an effective job... this reporter's been well-blinded with
Frightening Numbers, which as usual fail to distinguish between fixed
wiring and faulty appliances, and lives in the happy middle-class urban
bubble where regulation actually has an *effect*. Where's Brass Eye when
you need 'em? ;-)

Seems that Part P is starting to be mentioned in the more general media at
last. Funny how little I noticed before in came into force.

Yes - the canapes-and-Krug from the PRs seem to have been extended to
the Archer's scriptwriter too: Mike Tucker's moaning on [nothing new
there] about how hard it is to get an electrician in for his new build,
as they're all so busy with work 'now that these new regulations have
come in'.
John Rumm

Rod Hewitt wrote:

Has anyone else seen the article TO DIE FOR by Caroline Roux, The Guardian
Weekend/January 29?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...399860,00.html

Hmmmm, I wonder if the guardian readers are as clueless as the writers...

(rhetorical question!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Brian Sharrock

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
Rod Hewitt wrote:
[...]

Well fancy that! Is the BCO based in Borchester? How long does
it take him/her to visit Ambridge ... ?

In the real world (or at least that portion of it that my matrix
settings allow me to perceive) the local electrical-contractor
has appended the slogan "Part P regulations compliant'
to the list of bullet-points on his window. Chatting to some
of his workers they opined;- 'We think it's all a tax scheme.
There's so much paperwork and certificates now so you can't
do the off-the-books-cash-only 'put in another outlet there'
job!' Gordon Brown will have better visibility of the jobbing
installer thanks to the emanations from the ODPM.

--

Brian

Ben Blaukopf

Rod Hewitt wrote:
Has anyone else seen the article TO DIE FOR by Caroline Roux, The Guardian
Weekend/January 29?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...399860,00.html

Seems that Part P is starting to be mentioned in the more general media at
last. Funny how little I noticed before in came into force.

Well apart from all the other holes in the article:

I was under the impression that adding a spur to a circuit - so long as
it wasn't in a kitchen or other special area - would count as minor
works.... A quick google says that's the case anyway.

Mike Harrison

On 30 Jan 2005 23:03:30 GMT, Rod Hewitt wrote:

Has anyone else seen the article TO DIE FOR by Caroline Roux, The Guardian
Weekend/January 29?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...399860,00.html

Seems that Part P is starting to be mentioned in the more general media at
last. Funny how little I noticed before in came into force.

Typical lazy clueless jounalism - just rehashing a govt. press release.

Stefek Zaba

Brian Sharrock wrote:

Well fancy that! Is the BCO based in Borchester? How long does
it take him/her to visit Ambridge ... ?

I think the BCO's been twice: once to check out the
footings/foundations, and again to look at the lower courses of the
brickwork - the second visit requiring him to knock down and rebuild
part of the brickwork already done.

Proving I'm no real Archers addict, I'd got the dramatis personae all
upgemixt: the self-builder (and Part-P whinger) is Neil Carter; Mike
Tucker is his more laid-back sometime helpmate (and
wall-integrity-up-screwer). This week's crisis on the self-build front
is bouncing cheques and a funding crunch, as previous overruns stretch
Neil's already low-contingency budget to, or beyond, breaking point.

So that's all clear, then ;-) Dum de dum de dum de dum, dum de dum de
dum dum...
John Rumm

Dr Evil wrote:

Hmmmm, I wonder if the guardian readers are as clueless as the

writers...

Far worse. We all sometimes have to do something inane to earn money but
surely only teachers and other left wing Trotskyites actually read this
****e.

You really are brainwashed aren't you. Get yourself sorted man. Get
sorted.

Aha, we have an answer. Looks like Mr. Evil here is obviously a Grauniad
reader! Looks like you were spot on Mike...

--
Cheers,

John.

Dr Evil

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dr Evil wrote:

Hmmmm, I wonder if the guardian readers are as clueless as the

writers...

Far worse. We all sometimes have to do something inane to earn money

but
surely only teachers and other left wing Trotskyites actually read this
****e.

You really are brainwashed aren't you. Get yourself sorted man. Get
sorted.

Aha, we have an answer. Looks like Mr. Evil here is obviously a Grauniad
reader! Looks like you were spot on Mike...

I find it amazing a man from the impoverish third world supports such right
wing crap that keep the likes of you down. Thye must love you.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Rod Hewitt

John Rumm wrote in
:

Dr Evil wrote:

Hmmmm, I wonder if the guardian readers are as clueless as the

writers...

Far worse. We all sometimes have to do something inane to earn money
but surely only teachers and other left wing Trotskyites actually
read this ****e.

You really are brainwashed aren't you. Get yourself sorted man. Get
sorted.

Aha, we have an answer. Looks like Mr. Evil here is obviously a
Grauniad reader! Looks like you were spot on Mike...

OP was by a G reader! But distinctly less than impressed by this piece. I
am writing to her.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

Bob Eager

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:34:47 UTC, "Dr Evil" wrote:

I find it amazing a man from the impoverish third world supports such right
wing crap that keep the likes of you down. Thye must love you.

With a few more samples, a concordance analysis of 'Dr Evil' will
probably show an exact match to IMM - don't people think?

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Michael Chare

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
On 30 Jan 2005 23:03:30 GMT, Rod Hewitt wrote:

Has anyone else seen the article TO DIE FOR by Caroline Roux, The Guardian
Weekend/January 29?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...399860,00.html

Seems that Part P is starting to be mentioned in the more general media at
last. Funny how little I noticed before in came into force.

Typical lazy clueless jounalism - just rehashing a govt. press release.

Interesting comparison to cooking. How many people hold cooking qualifications?
I suspect that more people suffer from badly prepared food, and accidents in the
kitchen, than from faulty DIY household wiring!

--

Michael Chare

Lurch

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:38:05 -0000, "Michael Chare"
strung together this:

Interesting comparison to cooking. How many people hold cooking qualifications?
I suspect that more people suffer from badly prepared food, and accidents in the
kitchen, than from faulty DIY household wiring!

Don't let the facts get in the way of a government campaign.
--

SJW

Joe

In message , Michael Chare
writes

Interesting comparison to cooking. How many people hold cooking
qualifications?
I suspect that more people suffer from badly prepared food, and
accidents in the
kitchen, than from faulty DIY household wiring!

How about restricting the use of motor vehicles to people with at least
IAM qualification? Must save more lives. Of course, the licence fee
would have to be high enough to maintain tax levels.

How about an NVQ level in walking? Incompetent pedestrians must also
cause many accidents... nobody allowed outside their houses without one.
Oh! Most accidents happen in the home! Let's get started on the
curriculum for the Living At Home licence examination...
--
Joe
Rod Hewitt

"Mike" wrote in :

Can she read ?

Suspect that she can read but has difficulty with comprehension. :-)

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Joe writes:

How about restricting the use of motor vehicles to people with at least
IAM qualification? Must save more lives. Of course, the licence fee
would have to be high enough to maintain tax levels.

That reminds me, did the president of the IAM stand down after
his recent speeding offence and driving ban?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mike

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Joe writes:

How about restricting the use of motor vehicles to people with at least
IAM qualification? Must save more lives. Of course, the licence fee
would have to be high enough to maintain tax levels.

Just make people take a proper driving test each year (i.e. not the current
anybody can pass item). Cost of the test would be the same as the current
licence fee, though if they fail it will cost them double of course. Or
treble or more in some cases.

Stefek Zaba

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

That reminds me, did the president of the IAM stand down after
his recent speeding offence and driving ban?

Just in case that wasn't rhetorical - yes he did, as asking Google what
it knows about "Duke IAM resigned" confirms at the whirring of a modicum
of electrons ;-)

Help finding old router part Jon Woodworking 14 March 18th 06 11:40 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM
NOKIA TV PART URGENTLY NEEDED David Electronics Repair 2 May 30th 04 07:04 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 1 of 10 - General Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 April 3rd 04 12:15 PM