mjbarnard

Default Cordless combi drills

Need to purchase new drill. Having considered weight, torque,
performance, use etc I have decided on a 14.4V cordless combi drill. I
am looking at the mid to high end of the market. I have read views on
cheaper vs expensive - and am not too interested in that debate.

Bosch, DeWalt and Makita all have similar models around the 200 ukp
mark. Having looked at previous discussions and recommendations of
others I am inclined to go for the Makita.

However my neighbour is a chippie and he tells me that the latest
models from Bosch are significantly better than previous ones - and
very highly regarded in the trade. He has all DeWalt - but would go for
Bosch.

Any opinions? At this sort of level does manufacturer/brand make much
difference?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
mjbarnard wrote:
Bosch, DeWalt and Makita all have similar models around the 200 ukp
mark. Having looked at previous discussions and recommendations of
others I am inclined to go for the Makita.

However my neighbour is a chippie and he tells me that the latest
models from Bosch are significantly better than previous ones - and
very highly regarded in the trade. He has all DeWalt - but would go for
Bosch.

All I would add is that I've never been disappointed with Makita.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:32:58 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article . com,
mjbarnard wrote:
Bosch, DeWalt and Makita all have similar models around the 200 ukp
mark. Having looked at previous discussions and recommendations of
others I am inclined to go for the Makita.

However my neighbour is a chippie and he tells me that the latest
models from Bosch are significantly better than previous ones - and
very highly regarded in the trade. He has all DeWalt - but would go for
Bosch.

All I would add is that I've never been disappointed with Makita.

Likewise. I have four of their drills in different sizes and types.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Jim Alexander

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
mjbarnard wrote:
Bosch, DeWalt and Makita all have similar models around the 200 ukp
mark. Having looked at previous discussions and recommendations of
others I am inclined to go for the Makita.

However my neighbour is a chippie and he tells me that the latest
models from Bosch are significantly better than previous ones - and
very highly regarded in the trade. He has all DeWalt - but would go for
Bosch.

All I would add is that I've never been disappointed with Makita.

I've been pleased until now with my 9 year old mains Makita SDS, however
recently the brushes stated sparking. Replaced them, yes easily obtained,
unfortunately it was still sparking. Silly me I hadn't spotted one of the
commutator segments was shot. A new armature costs about £50. Perhaps not
statistically significant but I'm disappointed and will replace with a
mid-range, Erbauer perhaps, at little more cost than the cost of replacement
Makita brushes and armature.

Jim A

IMM

mjbarnard wrote:
[...]

I know what you mean. A waste of time.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
All I would add is that I've never been disappointed with Makita.

I've been pleased until now with my 9 year old mains Makita SDS,
however recently the brushes stated sparking. Replaced them, yes
easily obtained, unfortunately it was still sparking. Silly me I
hadn't spotted one of the commutator segments was shot. A new
armature costs about £50. Perhaps

not
statistically significant but I'm disappointed and will replace with a
mid-range, Erbauer perhaps, at little more cost than the cost of

replacement
Makita brushes and armature.

I know what you mean. A waste of time.

No you don't. You don't - and never have - possess any pro tools.
After all, you used a hacksaw to cut plastic pipe.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
mjbarnard

Thanks all, particularly Andy - it was largely your informative
postings (over the years) that steered me to the Makita. Having looked
at some more threads I am now also considering an 18V. The Makita 18V
is only 200g heavier and the price difference is small.

Power Tools UK (powertoolsuk.co.uk) have the Makita 8443dwde 18V for
187ukp inc vat - whereas everywhere else it seems to be 230 to 280 ukp.
Any experience of this supplier?

Andrew Chesters

mjbarnard wrote:
Need to purchase new drill. Having considered weight, torque,
performance, use etc I have decided on a 14.4V cordless combi drill. I
am looking at the mid to high end of the market. I have read views on
cheaper vs expensive - and am not too interested in that debate.

Bosch, DeWalt and Makita all have similar models around the 200 ukp
mark. Having looked at previous discussions and recommendations of
others I am inclined to go for the Makita.

However my neighbour is a chippie and he tells me that the latest
models from Bosch are significantly better than previous ones - and
very highly regarded in the trade. He has all DeWalt - but would go for
Bosch.

Any opinions? At this sort of level does manufacturer/brand make much
difference?

I've recently replaced a 7.2V Bosch with a 14.4V one. Very impressed so
far. I've not used an equivalent speced Makita so can't give a direct
comparison.

Andrew
RichardS

"mjbarnard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Need to purchase new drill. Having considered weight, torque,
performance, use etc I have decided on a 14.4V cordless combi drill. I
am looking at the mid to high end of the market. I have read views on
cheaper vs expensive - and am not too interested in that debate.

Bosch, DeWalt and Makita all have similar models around the 200 ukp
mark. Having looked at previous discussions and recommendations of
others I am inclined to go for the Makita.

However my neighbour is a chippie and he tells me that the latest
models from Bosch are significantly better than previous ones - and
very highly regarded in the trade. He has all DeWalt - but would go for
Bosch.

Any opinions? At this sort of level does manufacturer/brand make much
difference?

Also have a look out for Milwaukee at that level.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Stefek Zaba

RichardS wrote:

Also have a look out for Milwaukee at that level.

Yes-indeedy. They're intimately related to Atlas-Copco, and thus to AEG;
it seems that they sell the exact same tool (probably made in the same
factory to identical spec) under the Milwaukee brand in the US, and
under the Atlas-Copco brand here in Yurrip: but some resellers subvert
this regional split, and I've managed in the past to find the Milwaukee
badged item for sale in the UK at about 20% lower than the Atlas-Copco.

Performance-wise, they're lovely - but I don't claim any sustained 'pro'
or 'site' experience to compare them in any deep way with the other
'premium'/'pro' brands.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jim Alexander wrote:
I've been pleased until now with my 9 year old mains Makita SDS, however
recently the brushes stated sparking. Replaced them, yes easily
obtained, unfortunately it was still sparking. Silly me I hadn't
spotted one of the commutator segments was shot. A new armature costs
about £50. Perhaps not statistically significant but I'm disappointed
and will replace with a mid-range, Erbauer perhaps, at little more cost
than the cost of replacement Makita brushes and armature.

If it's nine years old and had a reasonably hard life it's entitled to new
brushes. Unfortunately once they start sparking the damage to the
commutator may be already done. It would be worth doing a regular check on
brush length on a heavily used tool.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mike Tomlinson

In article , IMM
writes

snip drivel

BI=16. Complaint goes in at BI=20.

--
..sigmonster on vacation

IMM

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

snip drivel

BI=16. Complaint goes in at BI=20.

We have another Roger or Plowman here. Two loonpots is enough, but now we
have several.

Lurch

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:25:08 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

If you don't like it, **** off somewhere else.
--

SJW

Lurch

On 22 Jan 2005 06:16:00 -0800, "mjbarnard"
strung together this:

Power Tools UK (powertoolsuk.co.uk) have the Makita 8443dwde 18V for
187ukp inc vat - whereas everywhere else it seems to be 230 to 280 ukp.
Any experience of this supplier?

I found them some months back and have recommended them to a few
people since then. Everyone has come back with happy experiences of
power tool purchasements. Within the last couple of weeks I have
recommended them on a web forum and a couple of people have ordered
from them and found them cheap and offered a good service.

(Just read that back and it looks like spam, it's not! I just happened
across them when looking for DeWalt 18V kits).
--

SJW

John Rumm

Jim Alexander wrote:

commutator segments was shot. A new armature costs about ï½£50. Perhaps not
statistically significant but I'm disappointed and will replace with a
mid-range, Erbauer perhaps, at little more cost than the cost of replacement
Makita brushes and armature.

Why spend more money to end up with a (vastly) inferior product? Stick
another armature in the Makita and it ought to go for another 9 years...

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

mjbarnard wrote:

Any opinions? At this sort of level does manufacturer/brand make much
difference?

Not a recommendation over the Bosch, since I have not used one of their
top end combi drills and so have no frame of reference. However as
others have said, I have been extremely pleased with my Makita 18V
combi. (In fact all my Makita tools are exceptionally good)

(If you shop around you ought to be able to find a deal that includes
three batteries as well).

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

mjbarnard wrote:

Power Tools UK (powertoolsuk.co.uk) have the Makita 8443dwde 18V for
187ukp inc vat - whereas everywhere else it seems to be 230 to 280 ukp.

Looks like a good deal, although make sure you are comparing like with
like. The one you mention only includes two NiMh batteries.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...%20Combi%2018V

For an extra 50 quid you get a third NiMh battery and a Makita fleece.
(given the batteries are 90 quid on their own that is not a bad deal).

I find with three batts it is effectively impossible to be without power
as long as you remeber to put on on charge from time to time!

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

IMM wrote:

ï½£187 for a drill. Madness!!!!!!!!!!

I spent more than that on my one, and found it represented very good value.

Still, I don't expect you to understand...

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
#187 for a drill. Madness!!!!!!!!!!

I spent more than that on my one, and found it represented very good value.

Still, I don't expect you to understand...

Absolutely. I'm dealing with rechargeable batteries all the time work wise
and long ago found out that seemingly identical ones are anything but.
The cells they use in cheap drills are rubbish and *will* fail after a
short time. Decent tools use decent cells which will last.

I'm not against cheap cordless drills provided you know what you're
letting yourself in for. I've got several, and all have had battery
problems in short order.

Replacing the cells with decent ones not only results in a decent life,
but also considerably improves the drill performance, due to higher peak
current. Of course the charger may well need modifying to either an
intelligent or trickle charge type, as a cheap charger can damage even
decent cells.
But this all can cost more than the price of an entire cheap drill.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
mjbarnard

Thanks John. I note that some include 2 and others 3 batteries.
Interestingly while most vendors are selling around the 230 mark but
include 3 batteries - a few are selling it for this price (or more) and
only include 2 batteries! For my personal use - 2 will likely be
sufficient and I prefer to save the difference.

Lurch's comments on Power Tools UK are very helpful - and should be
useful for future google searches. When I googled uk.d-i-y on their web
address I only found one thread in which someone complained that they
hadn't received their goods and enquired whether they were still
trading! Therefore these comments are most reassuring.
Have ordered the Makita 18V. Thanks for all the help.

Andy Hall

On 23 Jan 2005 06:25:28 -0800, "mjbarnard"
wrote:

Thanks John. I note that some include 2 and others 3 batteries.
Interestingly while most vendors are selling around the 230 mark but
include 3 batteries - a few are selling it for this price (or more) and
only include 2 batteries! For my personal use - 2 will likely be
sufficient and I prefer to save the difference.

Lurch's comments on Power Tools UK are very helpful - and should be
useful for future google searches. When I googled uk.d-i-y on their web
address I only found one thread in which someone complained that they
hadn't received their goods and enquired whether they were still
trading! Therefore these comments are most reassuring.
Have ordered the Makita 18V. Thanks for all the help.

I have this one, and have not run into any problems with running it
quite hard with two batteries.

I also have the smaller 14.4v one and that just about managed with
two, but three was comfortable.

Both chargers work well, so no real issue.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

mjbarnard wrote:
Need to purchase new drill. Having considered weight, torque,
performance, use etc I have decided on a 14.4V cordless combi drill. I
am looking at the mid to high end of the market. I have read views on
cheaper vs expensive - and am not too interested in that debate.

Bosch, DeWalt and Makita all have similar models around the 200 ukp
mark. Having looked at previous discussions and recommendations of
others I am inclined to go for the Makita.

However my neighbour is a chippie and he tells me that the latest
models from Bosch are significantly better than previous ones - and
very highly regarded in the trade. He has all DeWalt - but would go for
Bosch.

Why not consider Metabo too, they have some good models which are
probably a little cheaper as well.

--
Chris Green

Mike Tomlinson

In article , IMM
writes

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

snip drivel

BI=16. Complaint goes in at BI=20.

We have another Roger or Plowman here. Two loonpots is enough, but now we
have several.

I can't be a "loonpot", since individual.net agreed with my complaint
(BI 40 by this point) and pulled your account. Which is why you're
now posting from Tiscali.

HTH. HAND. FOAD.

--
..sigmonster on vacation

IMM

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

snip drivel

BI=16. Complaint goes in at BI=20.

We have another Roger or Plowman here. Two loonpots is enough, but now we
have several.

I can't be a "loonpot",

You are a loonpot.

snip drivel

Mike Tomlinson

In article , IMM
writes

You are a loonpot.

Nope, you're a loonpot (whatever that is) who abused his individual.net
account and lost it. As you've lost it before and will again in the
future. Sweet dreams.

--
..sigmonster on vacation

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
snip drivel

BI=16. Complaint goes in at BI=20.

We have another Roger or Plowman here. Two loonpots is enough, but now
we have several.

I can't be a "loonpot", since individual.net agreed with my complaint
(BI 40 by this point) and pulled your account. Which is why you're
now posting from Tiscali.

I'm absolutely intrigued (yawn) to know what IMM thinks he achieves by the
'snip drivel' thingie?

Anyone searching a thread on Google will still read what he's 'snipping',
and anyone sad enough to search IMM would get a bit bored with post after
post the same?

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
IMM

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

You are a loonpot.

Nope, you're a loonpot (whatever that is) who abused his individual.net
account and lost it. As you've lost it before and will again in the
future. Sweet dreams.

You a total idiot!

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes

I'm absolutely intrigued (yawn) to know what IMM thinks he achieves by the
'snip drivel' thingie?

No idea. But if he continues he'll lose his Tiscali account as well.

Anyone searching a thread on Google will still read what he's 'snipping',
and anyone sad enough to search IMM would get a bit bored with post after
post the same?

He's in my killfile, since nothing the Inept Moron of Misinformation
posts is worth reading. I use Google groups to search for his snip
drivel posts to determine their BI.

--
..sigmonster on vacation

IMM

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes

I'm absolutely intrigued (yawn) to know what IMM thinks he achieves by

the
'snip drivel' thingie?

No idea.

More Tomfoolery. Not worth reading any further.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snip drivel
You need your head examined.
I agree. I wish this sort would p*** off from DIYbanter for good. I can't remember him contributing anything constructive.
.

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
snip drivel

BI=16. Complaint goes in at BI=20.

We have another Roger or Plowman here. Two loonpots is enough, but now
we have several.

I can't be a "loonpot", since individual.net agreed with my complaint
(BI 40 by this point) and pulled your account. Which is why you're
now posting from Tiscali.

I'm absolutely intrigued (yawn) to know what IMM thinks he achieves by the
'snip drivel' thingie?

Anyone searching a thread on Google will still read what he's 'snipping',
and anyone sad enough to search IMM would get a bit bored with post after
post the same?

He's been doing the same for years though, there's a thread in one of
the football ngs where he replied to every post with "stupid jock", he
has various mo's which make him easy to spot and reverts to type without
too much bother, I have a list of his various pseudonyms somewhere, you
would think he would have grown up a bit by now though... he used to put
in his sig that he had a computer science degree (honours)
--
..

IMM

"." wrote in message

He's been doing the same for
years though, there's a thread in one of
the football ngs where he replied to
every post with "stupid jock",

I don't go on footy groups. More confusion by the simple minded here.

I have a list of his various

This weirdo has a list!! Another Roger (Tom Foolery himself), who probably
stalks too. "Stupid Jocks" I know some are. The dimmest I came across were
in Aberdeen; such an awful place.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
IMM

"Huge" wrote in message

He's very similar to Doug Bollen from uk.transport.

Not so. IMM is similar to James Bond.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
.

In article , IMM
writes

"." wrote in message
.. .

He's been doing the same for
years though, there's a thread in one of
the football ngs where he replied to
every post with "stupid jock",

I don't go on footy groups. More confusion by the simple minded here.

You're not "News" then John?
I have a list of his various

This weirdo has a list!! Another Roger (Tom Foolery himself), who probably
stalks too. "Stupid Jocks" I know some are. The dimmest I came across were
in Aberdeen; such an awful place.

and with your Scottish heritage too John, tsk tsk
--
..
:::Jerry::::

"IMM" wrote in message

"Huge" wrote in message

He's very similar to Doug Bollen from uk.transport.

Not so. IMM is similar to James Bond.

Yes, pure fiction with a few cribbed facts thrown in !...

IMM

"." wrote in message

This weirdo has a list!! Another Roger (Tom Foolery himself), who

probably
stalks too. "Stupid Jocks" I know some are. The dimmest I came across

were
in Aberdeen; such an awful place.

and with your Scottish heritage too John, tsk tsk

Mr Dot, have you tried therapy? It is available on the NHS

Cordless combi Britannica UK diy 26 August 17th 04 06:00 PM
Cordless combi drills - my new one has arrived Grunff UK diy 27 April 29th 04 02:23 PM
Makita built in batteries for 7.2V cordless drills. P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº Woodworking 2 October 29th 03 12:48 AM
CORDLESS DRILLS WARRENRN1 Woodworking 17 August 9th 03 01:34 PM