Grunff

Default Cordless combi drills - my new one has arrived

Some of you may recall my various adventures in the world of combi
drills, in my long search for a quality tool. My last purchase, an 18V
green Bosch has now been returned due to a failing motor bearing, and my
new tool has arrived. It's an 18V Makita. It's lovely. And it came
with a free mini TV!

I'm off to spend some quality time with it. Pictures to follow.

--
Grunff

Grunff

IMM wrote:

Some of you may recall my various adventures in the world of combi
drills, in my long search for a quality tool. My last purchase, an 18V
green Bosch has now been returned due to a failing motor bearing, and my
new tool has arrived. It's an 18V Makita. It's lovely. And it came
with a free mini TV!

How much?

£280

Comes with a nice charger and 3x 2.6Ah NiMH batteries. A lovely Rohm
chuck, and superb speed control.

Please don't tell me how many PPPoos I could've had for that. I didn't
like spending that much money on a handheld tool but I've wasted too
much time messing about with Erbauer, PPPoo, Axminster (White) and Bosch
(Green). It's my most frequently used tool, so needs to last.

By the way, out of that list, the Erbauer was probably the best in terms
of battery life, torque and speed control. But *nothing* compared to the
Makita.

--
Grunff
Nick Brooks

Grunff wrote:
Some of you may recall my various adventures in the world of combi
drills, in my long search for a quality tool. My last purchase, an 18V
green Bosch has now been returned due to a failing motor bearing, and my
new tool has arrived. It's an 18V Makita. It's lovely. And it came with
a free mini TV!

I'm off to spend some quality time with it. Pictures to follow.

I've got one too but I only got a free fleece with mine. Still a
fantastic tool though and the torque is amazing. Currently my third
favorite tool. ( the others being a rotherberger propane torch and a
wrecking bar)

Nick
Grunff

Nick Brooks wrote:

( the others being a rotherberger propane torch and a
wrecking bar)

Hey! I also have a rothenburger and love it lots. And I have 3
(different size) wrecking bars.

Apart from the Makita, my current favourite is my Bosch PEX400 random
orbit sander. That saves me *hours* of hand sanding.

--
Grunff

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Some of you may recall my various adventures in the world of combi
drills, in my long search for a quality tool. My last purchase, an 18V
green Bosch has now been returned due to a failing motor bearing, and my
new tool has arrived. It's an 18V Makita. It's lovely. And it came
with a free mini TV!

How much?

£280

Madness!!!

Comes with a nice charger and 3x 2.6Ah NiMH batteries. A lovely Rohm
chuck, and superb speed control.

Does it provide a woman every night for 3 months too? It should do at that
price.

I've wasted too
much time messing about with Erbauer, PPPoo, Axminster (White) and Bosch
(Green).

Did you try the Wickes (Kress)? No you never.

Grunff

IMM wrote:

Did you try the Wickes (Kress)? No you never.

No, I didn't - but why should it be any different from the other four
mentioned, all of which are within the same price bracket?

You were recommending the PPPro tool before, now you're recommending the
Kress tool. Why the change?

--
Grunff
IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Did you try the Wickes (Kress)? No you never.

No, I didn't - but why should it be any different from the other four
mentioned, all of which are within the same price bracket?

Because it is from a good maker.

You were recommending the PPPro tool
before, now you're recommending the
Kress tool. Why the change?

You did not like shed tools, so I directed you to a good drill and make and
you listen to Treckie snake enthusiast and paid all that lolly for a DIY
tool. I can't believe this. Madness!

Grunff

IMM wrote:

No, I didn't - but why should it be any different from the other four
mentioned, all of which are within the same price bracket?

Because it is from a good maker.

Bosch are pretty good - you're about the only person I've ever come
across who has slated the entire Bosch range.

You did not like shed tools, so I directed you to a good drill and make and
you listen to Treckie snake enthusiast and paid all that lolly for a DIY
tool. I can't believe this. Madness!

I already told you, I *like* Star Trek. You calling other people
Trekkies isn't going to make me think less of them.

As for the tool, have you ever used a Makita? It really is very
diffierent from all the others I've used. The torque is enormous in
comparison. And the battery capacity (2.6Ah compared to 1.9Ah) is great.

--
Grunff
IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

No, I didn't - but why should it be any different from the other four
mentioned, all of which are within the same price bracket?

Because it is from a good maker.

Bosch are pretty good - you're about the only person I've ever come
across who has slated the entire Bosch range.

Dear Trekkie,

There have been many people on this ng not satisfied with bosch.

You did not like shed tools, so I directed you to a good drill and make

and
you listen to Treckie snake enthusiast and paid all that lolly for a DIY
tool. I can't believe this. Madness!

I already told you, I *like* Star Trek. You calling other people
Trekkies isn't going to make me think less of them.

What about those snakes wrapped the neck?

As for the tool, have you ever used a Makita?

Yep. Good no doubt. Other good no doubt and don't charge silly money.

It really is very
diffierent from all the others I've used. The torque is enormous in
comparison. And the battery capacity (2.6Ah compared to 1.9Ah) is great.

£280???? I would expect it to be gold plated. Other drills are of equal
performance, like the Wickes (Kress), but about £80-90.

Grunff

IMM wrote:

What about those snakes wrapped the neck?

What the hell are you on about? Really?

£280???? I would expect it to be gold plated. Other drills are of equal
performance, like the Wickes (Kress), but about £80-90.

Granted I haven't used the Kress, but you say other drill_s_ - what
others? I've personally *owned* 4 drills in that bracket, and used
several others belonging to friends (Ryobi, B&D). None of them has been
of equal performance.

--
Grunff
Dave Plowman

In article ,
IMM wrote:
£280???? I would expect it to be gold plated. Other drills are of equal
performance, like the Wickes (Kress), but about £80-90.

Define performance. The ability to revolve, maybe. You obviously never use
tools in anger since you continually harp on how much 'better'cheap DIY
tools are. They might be better *value* for *occasional* use, but that's
all.

--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Andy Hall

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:01:30 +0100, Grunff wrote:

IMM wrote:

Some of you may recall my various adventures in the world of combi
drills, in my long search for a quality tool. My last purchase, an 18V
green Bosch has now been returned due to a failing motor bearing, and my
new tool has arrived. It's an 18V Makita. It's lovely. And it came
with a free mini TV!

How much?

£280

Comes with a nice charger and 3x 2.6Ah NiMH batteries. A lovely Rohm
chuck, and superb speed control.

Which model, Grunff, and from where?

..

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:36:45 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Nick Brooks wrote:

( the others being a rotherberger propane torch and a
wrecking bar)

Hey! I also have a rothenburger and love it lots.

Me too, the one with the built in igniter - works really well.

And I have 3
(different size) wrecking bars.

Apart from the Makita, my current favourite is my Bosch PEX400 random
orbit sander. That saves me *hours* of hand sanding.

I have a Metabo SXE450 and enjoy using that.....

Also the Fein Multimaster...

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grunff

Andy Hall wrote:

Which model, Grunff, and from where?

8443DWDE (Screwfix 83604).

The catalog says it comes with 2 batteries, but it actually comes with
3. I was particularly enamoured with the 2.6Ah capacity and the 45Nm torque.

--
Grunff

Grunff

Andy Hall wrote:

Also the Fein Multimaster...

Is Fein stuff as good as it's meant to be? It's one of the few makes
I've never used at all.

--
Grunff
Andy Hall

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:27:50 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Also the Fein Multimaster...

Is Fein stuff as good as it's meant to be? It's one of the few makes
I've never used at all.

That tool really is.

I bought the one in the metal case with all the added accessories such
as saws, scrapers etc.

It works by oscillating the mounting where the accessory fits rapidly
from side to side. The sideways movement is only perhaps 3mm max.
and there is a speed control.

It's a lot more substantial than a Dremel (although I have one of
those as well) and is especially good for fine detail sanding, cutting
in awkward places and scraping. Not overly heavy though, and very
sensibly comes with a long lead. The dust extraction works well
also.

I use it for something or other several times a week.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Capitol

IMM wrote in message ...

How much?

£280

Madness!!!

Does it provide a woman every night for 3 months too? It should do at that
price.

I've never found any woman's running costs to be that cheap over a 3 month
period. I'd say £10K was getting off lightly. Is this woman you know
about/desire of far eastern manufacture?

regards
Capitol

IMM

"Capitol" wrote in message

IMM wrote in message ...

How much?

£280

Madness!!!

Does it provide a woman every night for 3 months too? It should do at

that
price.

I've never found any woman's running costs to be that cheap over a 3 month
period. I'd say £10K was getting off lightly. Is this woman you know
about/desire of far eastern manufacture?

I know not. What does it say on the box? Were you cheated and given a blow
up?

John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

8443DWDE (Screwfix 83604).

The catalog says it comes with 2 batteries, but it actually comes with
3. I was particularly enamoured with the 2.6Ah capacity and the 45Nm
torque.

The price is not bad when you factor in the fact that it comes with over
a hundred quids worth of decent sub C cells.

--
Cheers,

John.

Grunff

Andy Hall wrote:

I use it for something or other several times a week.

Hmm, there's another one for the xmas list...

--
Grunff
RichardS

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:36:45 +0100, Grunff wrote:

snip

Apart from the Makita, my current favourite is my Bosch PEX400 random
orbit sander. That saves me *hours* of hand sanding.

I have a Metabo SXE450 and enjoy using that.....

nice heavy duty sander, that. I love mine. Almost removes the guilty
feeling of using a sander when I know I should be planing/scraping....

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

anthony james

Grunff wrote in message ...
It's an 18V Makita. It's lovely. And it came
But *nothing* compared to the
Makita.

We've got the same one and it's supurb - a pleasure to use.
Nick Brooks

.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

The main Makita dealer is very reasonable and usually cheaper than Screwfix

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...%20Combi%2018V

Nick Brooks
Grunff

Nick Brooks wrote:

The main Makita dealer is very reasonable and usually cheaper than Screwfix

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...%20Combi%2018V

You're right, that's £20 cheaper!! (but no free TV)

I did spend a while searching for other suppliers, but couldn't find
anyone as cheap as SF. Thanks for the link, useful for future purchases.

--
Grunff

mike

"IMM" wrote in message ...
"Grunff" wrote in message

Comes with a nice charger and 3x 2.6Ah NiMH batteries. A lovely Rohm
chuck, and superb speed control.

Does it provide a woman every night for 3 months too? It should do at that
price.

Surely for the price of one Makita woman you could get three PPPro
women. Admitedly they'd be heavier and need recharging more often, but
if one "konks" just pick up the next and no down time.

It's logic, Jim, but not as we know it.
IMM

"mike" wrote in message
om...
"IMM" wrote in message

"Grunff" wrote in message

Comes with a nice charger and 3x 2.6Ah NiMH batteries. A lovely Rohm
chuck, and superb speed control.

Does it provide a woman every night for 3 months too? It should do at

that
price.

Surely for the price of one Makita woman you could get three PPPro
women. Admitedly they'd be heavier and need recharging more often, but
if one "konks" just pick up the next and no down time.

Great lateral thinking!

It's logic, Jim, but not as we know it.

It sure is Scottie.

How to correctly size combi boilers Dean UK diy 16 December 25th 03 10:49 PM
Combi Boilers Marv UK diy 5 November 2nd 03 11:34 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM