Britannica

Default Cordless combi

The battery on my old B&D cordless drill/driver seems to have packed
up.

I'd like to replace it with a cordless combi but most of them seem a
bit expensive for the use I'd find for it. Two cheapish examples I've
found are the Ryobi CMI-1202 - 12v Maxi Combi Cordless from Machine
Mart (£88) and the Erbauer 14.4V Combi Drill from Screwfix (£99).

I'd be grateful for opinion on which is the better of these two....I
can't really afford deWalt or Makita.

TIA

Andy Hall

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:37:06 +0100, Britannica
wrote:

The battery on my old B&D cordless drill/driver seems to have packed
up.

I'd like to replace it with a cordless combi but most of them seem a
bit expensive for the use I'd find for it. Two cheapish examples I've
found are the Ryobi CMI-1202 - 12v Maxi Combi Cordless from Machine
Mart (£88) and the Erbauer 14.4V Combi Drill from Screwfix (£99).

I'd be grateful for opinion on which is the better of these two....I
can't really afford deWalt or Makita.

TIA

You would be far better off with something from Makita's range that is
one voltage step down and perhaps becoming end of line and therefore
on offer - e.g. a 12v Makita product rather than an OEM 14.4v.

The Makita motor, battery and speed control is far better than these
other OEM products.

To illustrate this in a different part of the market, there was a
review in the U.S. of 18v cordless products. Panasonic's entry was
a 15.6v tool and for the reasons mentioned is outperformed the 18v
products by a very long way in terms of power, number of holes and
number of screws that could be driven on a charge.

Otherwise, if you can stretch to £120, you can have a Makita 8228
14,4v drill. I have one and use it for a wide range of jobs from
screwdriving to drilling up to quite substantial holes in wood to
masonry holes for most fixing purposes. Beyond this for say 12.7mm
holes and above in masonry I use an SDS drill.

The hammer action on the smaller cordless drills really doesn't
achieve a lot. For it to become useful, you need to go to the 18-24v
products - then you are better off with a mid range cordless and an
SDS for the big jobs.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ed Sirett

wrote:

[...]

I agree with most if not all of the above.
You'll also find that a 'combi' drill is heavy and unwieldy to use whereas
a non-combi drill/driver is quite sufficient.
In fact I use my 12v 2nd hand Makita with quality (JoRad) bits to drill masonry
holes in everything except really hard brick and concrete.

If I wanted to get a new drill driver I'd look at a non-combi Makita/Blue
Bosch or DW product.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

IMM

"IMM" wrote in message

"Britannica" wrote in message
The battery on my old B&D cordless drill/driver seems to have packed
up.

I'd like to replace it with a cordless combi but most of them seem a
bit expensive for the use I'd find for it. Two cheapish examples I've
found are the Ryobi CMI-1202 - 12v Maxi Combi Cordless from Machine
Mart (£88) and the Erbauer 14.4V Combi Drill from Screwfix (£99).

I'd be grateful for opinion on which is the better of these two....I
can't really afford deWalt or Makita.

Ryobi.

Also, go to Wickes and look at their grey cased pro range at around £80-90.
Made by Kress in Germany and rebadged for Wickes. Well worth considering,
and they also have 2 or 3 yr guarantees. I would tend to go for the
Wickes/Kress machines.

IMM

wrote:

[...]

£120? Cor! He can get a Kress/Wickes 14.4v and a Kress/Wickes circular saw
for that amount.

The hammer action on the smaller cordless drills really doesn't
achieve a lot. For it to become useful, you need to go to the 18-24v
products - then you are better off with a mid range cordless and an
SDS for the big jobs.

Now that is sense at last.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:55:04 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Otherwise, if you can stretch to £120, you can have a Makita 8228
14,4v drill.

£120? Cor! He can get a Kress/Wickes 14.4v and a Kress/Wickes circular saw
for that amount.

He could also get lunch for two with wines at Le Manoir for that.
The midweek break is a little more.

Both are memorable.

The hammer action on the smaller cordless drills really doesn't
achieve a lot. For it to become useful, you need to go to the 18-24v
products - then you are better off with a mid range cordless and an
SDS for the big jobs.

Now that is sense at last.

You're so kind.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Rumm

Britannica wrote:

The battery on my old B&D cordless drill/driver seems to have packed
up.

If you are happy with the old drill why not have the battery pack
re-celled? - it will probably be "better than new", once done.

http://www.recell.co.uk/

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
If I wanted to get a new drill driver I'd look at a non-combi Makita/Blue
Bosch or DW product.

This demonstrates the marketing of these companies, or is it because they
are in Screwfix? These three brands, people here put up as the "best".
Makita, yes, but quality falling, the other two no Even the DeWalt service
agent tells people to buy other brands. Yet there are other brands which
mainly are superior that never get mentioned, like Hitachi, Atlas Copco,
Panasonic, etc.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:14:27 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
If I wanted to get a new drill driver I'd look at a non-combi Makita/Blue
Bosch or DW product.

This demonstrates the marketing of these companies, or is it because they
are in Screwfix? These three brands, people here put up as the "best".
Makita, yes, but quality falling, the other two no Even the DeWalt service
agent tells people to buy other brands. Yet there are other brands which
mainly are superior that never get mentioned, like Hitachi, Atlas Copco,
Panasonic, etc.

I have certainly not noticed Makita quality falling. Remarkably
reliable, IME.

I have a Hitachi circular saw which is pretty good and solid. In its
price range, it has reviewed as best of breed and is good to use.

Panasonic make excellent drill/screwdrivers, but they are quite
expensive. If I ever needed an additional one, I would consider
their product.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:55:04 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Otherwise, if you can stretch to £120, you can have a Makita 8228
14,4v drill.

£120? Cor! He can get a Kress/Wickes 14.4v and a Kress/Wickes circular

saw
for that amount.

He could also get lunch for two with wines at Le Manoir for that.
The midweek break is a little more.

As well as the drill and saw?

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:14:27 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

But money is the barrier to you, so why dismiss this brand?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Britannica wrote:
The battery on my old B&D cordless drill/driver seems to have packed
up.

If you're otherwise happy with it, replace the cells. Just about all the
usual suppliers - RS, CPC, Maplin etc do tagged cells suitable for this.

Although these will seem expensive, they are much better quality cells
than the ones fitted to el cheapo new drills, and the quality of the cells
has a *vast* influence on the overall performance.

I'd like to replace it with a cordless combi but most of them seem a
bit expensive for the use I'd find for it. Two cheapish examples I've
found are the Ryobi CMI-1202 - 12v Maxi Combi Cordless from Machine
Mart (£88) and the Erbauer 14.4V Combi Drill from Screwfix (£99).

I'd be grateful for opinion on which is the better of these two....I
can't really afford deWalt or Makita.

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:04:12 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:14:27 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

I am not sure what you are trying to say here, but assume that it is
that money is not the barrier.

On that point, I have already made it clear that this is one factor,
but not necessarily the most important.

I haven't dismissed Panasonic at all. When I bought the Makita
regular and angle drills, I didn't find information on Panasonic so
did not consider them.

Since then, they have been reviewed well, so if buying now, I would
consider Panasonic.
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:31:42 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:55:04 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Otherwise, if you can stretch to £120, you can have a Makita 8228
14,4v drill.

£120? Cor! He can get a Kress/Wickes 14.4v and a Kress/Wickes circular

saw
for that amount.

He could also get lunch for two with wines at Le Manoir for that.
The midweek break is a little more.

As well as the drill and saw?

No. They have an August offer for lunch at £60 a head..
Alternatively, you can go for the mid-week break with overnight stay
and dinner for approx. £500-600. For a special occasion, that is
truly something. I did forgo some power tool purchases for it,
but the return on investment was well worthwhile.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:31:42 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:55:04 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Otherwise, if you can stretch to £120, you can have a Makita 8228
14,4v drill.

£120? Cor! He can get a Kress/Wickes 14.4v and a Kress/Wickes

circular
saw
for that amount.

He could also get lunch for two with wines at Le Manoir for that.
The midweek break is a little more.

As well as the drill and saw?

No. They have an August offer for lunch at £60 a head..
Alternatively, you can go for the mid-week break with overnight stay
and dinner for approx. £500-600. For a special occasion, that is
truly something. I did forgo some power tool purchases for it,
but the return on investment was well worthwhile.

No return on investment at all. Just a feelgood factor. What people,have
when they buy over marketed and priced power tools.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
No return on investment at all. Just a feelgood factor. What people,have
when they buy over marketed and priced power tools.

I do wish you'd try using a decent cordless drill for say screw driving
and compare it to the cheap ****. Perhaps then you'd shut up.
You catalogue browsing types really are a pain - like kids who quote 0-60
times for cars as being the only important thing.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:52:28 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:31:42 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Oh the ROI was considerable - you can trust me on that. The feelgood
factor wasn't bad either.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Kaiser

"Britannica" wrote in message
The battery on my old B&D cordless drill/driver seems to have packed
up.

I'd like to replace it with a cordless combi but most of them seem a
bit expensive for the use I'd find for it. Two cheapish examples I've
found are the Ryobi CMI-1202 - 12v Maxi Combi Cordless from Machine
Mart (£88) and the Erbauer 14.4V Combi Drill from Screwfix (£99).

I'd be grateful for opinion on which is the better of these two....I
can't really afford deWalt or Makita.

TIA

If you are on a budget why not consider one of the Bosch green range of
combi drills like the PSB 18 VE-2 it has a much better hammer action than
some of those that you've mentioned. You can get factory reconditioned ones
from Healys Tools for £79 complete with 2 batteries.
http://www.healystool.co.uk/Right%20frame/Healy's.htm

Britannica

wrote:

The battery on my old B&D cordless drill/driver seems to have packed
up.

I'd like to replace it with a cordless combi but most of them seem a
bit expensive for the use I'd find for it. Two cheapish examples I've
found are the Ryobi CMI-1202 - 12v Maxi Combi Cordless from Machine
Mart (£88) and the Erbauer 14.4V Combi Drill from Screwfix (£99).

I'd be grateful for opinion on which is the better of these two....I
can't really afford deWalt or Makita.

Aarrrgh !! A curse on birthdays and bargain hunters.

My birthday this week and SWMBO [bless her !] knowing I was hankering
after a new drill, last week popped into Wickes and spied this 14.4V
cordless hammerdrill for £19.99...reduced from £29.99. It's only got
one battery and is green, not grey as I understand the Kress made ones
are. What is it ? - a cheapo Chinese effort I suspect.

I haven't opened it so perhaps Wickes will take it back, although it's
more than seven days since she bought it, failing that they'll
hopefully part-exchange it for a better one.

Anyway the poor love has agreed to stick to the usual bottle of Malt
for my birthday and leave tool selection to te experts :-)

But thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Britannica wrote:
Anyway the poor love has agreed to stick to the usual bottle of Malt
for my birthday and leave tool selection to te experts :-)

For her next birthday, get a bottle of perfume off a market stall...

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
G&M

wrote:

[...]

Take it back as not ft for purpose and refer them here if they disagree :-)
Even IMM won't back up that 'tool'

IMM

wrote:

[...]

:-)
Even IMM won't back up that 'tool'

Depends on what the usage is.

Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

As long as you still have the receipt, they will refund it. Wickes
don't sell anything that is any better, unfortunately.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
raden

In message , IMM writes

I haven't opened it so perhaps Wickes will take it back, although it's
more than seven days since she bought it, failing that they'll
hopefully part-exchange it for a better one.

Take it back as not ft for purpose and refer them here if they disagree

:-)
Even IMM won't back up that 'tool'

Depends on what the usage is.

The same as you keep under the bed ... next to the K-Y Jelly
--
geoff

Tony Bryer

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
As long as you still have the receipt, they will refund it.

Up to six months as well which is generous to a fault.

IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM writes

I haven't opened it so perhaps Wickes will take it back, although

it's
more than seven days since she bought it, failing that they'll
hopefully part-exchange it for a better one.

Take it back as not ft for purpose and refer them here if they disagree

:-)
Even IMM won't back up that 'tool'

Depends on what the usage is.

The same as you keep under the bed ... next to the K-Y Jelly

Maxie! Well I never! Do import this stuff cheaply from the far east now. A
nice earner of a sideline eh.