John Rumm

PG wrote:

Do any of the aforementioned vee-hicles have traction control?

If you need traction control on a 4WD, then you need to lose your baseball
cap, and learn to control your feet!

Depends on the type of surfaces/terrain you're driving on, doesn't it?
If you have to negotiate slippery steep inclines, traction control
would be an advantage, wouldn't it?

If used well, it can help on descents down steep (and I mean really
steep) hills, but can be a disadvantage on ascents (where keeping the
wheels turning at all times can be critical).

Top end Range Rovers have an active hill decent system - you push a
button and then steer the wheel. The computer does everything else! (The
BMW X5 also has it - pinched during their brief ownership of Rover).

To go up again, you are better off with a low transfer box, plenty of
torque low down in the rev range, diff locks all round, and off road tyres.

--
Cheers,

John.

Christian McArdle

Complicated? 5 gears + reverse.....

I mean that the heath robinson contraption to take the movement from the
dash mounted gear stick to the gear box itself was complicated, which gave
it a somewhat temperamental reputation. One that I haven't run into
personally, however.

* 3 new driveshafts.

Ouch! Was there common cause for this? Perhaps an overheated bearing that
was taking out the rubber boots or something?

* The door holder openers never held the front doors open.

Mine stay nicely open!

* 1 new ECU.
* 1 new other ECU type thing, just as expensive as the main one.
* There was a fairly major wiring fault with the vehicle (...)

Ah, this sounds like your major trouble, then. What was the wiring fault?
Something wrong with the voltage regulator or something?

* The back doors would never shut without a good slam, the same with
the side door.

Yes, my new one likes a good slam, but the doors have clearly been reversed
into at some point. The old one (before shunt) was not like this.

It certainly doesn't sound like you had a good time! Sounds like you got the
Friday afternoon model.

Christian.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Top end Range Rovers have an active hill decent system - you push a
button and then steer the wheel. The computer does everything else! (The
BMW X5 also has it - pinched during their brief ownership of Rover).

It first appeared on the Freelander. Uses the ABS system to operate
individual brakes to keep the vehicle at a constant low speed while on the
over-run.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Lurch

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:43:09 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
strung together this:

I mean that the heath robinson contraption to take the movement from the
dash mounted gear stick to the gear box itself was complicated, which gave
it a somewhat temperamental reputation. One that I haven't run into
personally, however.

Ah, I getchya now!

* 3 new driveshafts.

Ouch! Was there common cause for this? Perhaps an overheated bearing that
was taking out the rubber boots or something?

Apparantly it was a reasonably commonish fault, but as per all the
others Peugeot were never interested in doing anything about it!

* 1 new ECU.
* 1 new other ECU type thing, just as expensive as the main one.
* There was a fairly major wiring fault with the vehicle (...)

Ah, this sounds like your major trouble, then. What was the wiring fault?
Something wrong with the voltage regulator or something?

I think there were several faults on the loom. A couple of them I
found while I was doing other things under the bonnet, another couple
of dodgy contacts somewhere on the cooling system that someone found,
(not a dealerships mechanic), when he serviced it and the main one was
the dodgy earth lead contact on the engine.
Although I never drove the van after the earth lead was fixed my Dad
says it was like a completely different van, it started first time
every time rather than having to give it a good few turns and the
cooling system worked properly. I think it was this fault that had
caused all the other copmponents to fail prematurely.

It certainly doesn't sound like you had a good time! Sounds like you got the
Friday afternoon model.

I've heard about those! A lot of the things were cosmetic and general
'interior' issues but after all that and then having the the Partners
mechanics be as unreliable I've decided to steer clear of the Peugeots
for now, pity because I always used to like them as they were always a
solid reliable vehicle.
--

SJW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smallest vans that can carry 8' x 4' sheets of MDF/plasterboard inside?

replying to Kat, Paul Shears wrote:
Perhaps I am missing something here & I know this does not help right now,
but........
Why don't these medium size van manufacturers (VW Transporter, Ford Transit
etc.) just redesign the front seats so that they can sit higher in the cab
with a thinner base?
Use different seat materials & perhaps at greater cost to manufacture.
This would then allow 8X4 sheets to slide under the front seats.
A steel retaining bar would obviously be required to stop the sheets sliding
forward when the vehicle reduces speed.
The benefit of this in, say, a short wheel base VW transporter, would be that
the entire vehicle could be 670mm shorter which, if put into production as an
additional model, open up an entire new market segment.
I refer to the small builder looking for the smallest vehicle that can
transport half a dozen 8X4 sheets.
It seems to me that the excellent quality entire VW Caddy range could then be
dropped from production as there would be a VW transporter body to satisfy
every need including a disability vehicle.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...bo-136557-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2018 02:44, Paul Shears wrote:
Perhaps I am missing something here & I know this does not help right now,

What you're missing is that the design of vans may have changed a little
in the last 14 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Kat, Edward Rees wrote:
Good evening, I have a Renault traffic for sale 2013 with only 31.000miles
from new,service history, i have owned this van from New, Excellent Condition,
if interested ,give me a call on 07772583288,

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...bo-136557-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward Rees" m wrote in
message oupdirect.com...
replying to Kat, Edward Rees wrote:
Good evening, I have a Renault traffic for sale 2013 with only 31.000miles
from new,service history, i have owned this van from New, Excellent
Condition,
if interested ,give me a call on 07772583288,

Rather unlikely to still be looking for one 16 years later.

for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...bo-136557-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 12:09:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Edward Rees" m wrote in
message oupdirect.com...
replying to Kat, Edward Rees wrote:
Good evening, I have a Renault traffic for sale 2013 with only 31.000miles
from new,service history, i have owned this van from New, Excellent
Condition,
if interested ,give me a call on 07772583288,

Rather unlikely to still be looking for one 16 years later.

It has not been as long as you've had your website dedicated to your
trolling, senile cretin!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are sighted people on that web site blinder than I am. The dates are clearly
on those posts. The big snag is as we all know the stupid site does not seem
to care how old a post is and regurgitates them ad infinitum.
The moral of the story is, get a news reader don't use dodgy web
interfaces for usenet.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Edward Rees" m wrote
in message
oupdirect.com...
replying to Kat, Edward Rees wrote:
Good evening, I have a Renault traffic for sale 2013 with only
31.000miles
from new,service history, i have owned this van from New, Excellent
Condition,
if interested ,give me a call on 07772583288,

Rather unlikely to still be looking for one 16 years later.

for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...bo-136557-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You meant de facto

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...bo-136557-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2020 21:31:22, Chap wrote:
You meant de facto

Well, he's has 15 years to find out.

FYI: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I can see the date on that post, why don't people with good eyesight
see it, is it hidden in some way? On the other hand badly designed web
interfaces which do not sort for year should be taken down as not fit for
purpose.