Kat

Default Smallest vans that can carry 8' x 4' sheets of MDF/plasterboard inside?

I'm looking for a van for use when I renovate my house, then move out.
I want something small as possible (because it will be my only vehicle
for a while) However, it must be big enough to carry 4' x 8' sheets of
plasterboard, MDF etc inside. Anyone suggest some models?
Toyota Hi-ace? Nissan Vanette? Others?

It's got to be smaller than a Ford Transit; that's for sure. Toyota
Lite-Ace would be nice but I guess they are too short to fit 8' x 4'
sheets in...

Many thanks and happy boxing day..

:::Jerry::::

"Kat" wrote in message

I'm looking for a van for use when I renovate my house, then move out.
I want something small as possible (because it will be my only vehicle
for a while) However, it must be big enough to carry 4' x 8' sheets of
plasterboard, MDF etc inside. Anyone suggest some models?
Toyota Hi-ace? Nissan Vanette? Others?

Remember the smaller the vehicle the less weight you will be able to carry
(legally).

It's got to be smaller than a Ford Transit that's for sure. Toyota
Lite-Ace would be nice but I guess they are too short to fit 8' x 4'
sheets in...

Well, seeing that the Ford Transit in it's SWB version has been the day-faco
standard that all other van maker has tried to equal in the class...

Why does it need to be smaller than a Transit, if I may ask ?

Kat

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:19:38 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

Remember the smaller the vehicle the less weight you will be able to carry
(legally).

Didn't know that - thanks. Hopwever, I don't plan to carry much weight
at once. Having said that, I guess ten sheets of 12mm plasterboard
must weigh quite a bit...

It's got to be smaller than a Ford Transit that's for sure. Toyota
Lite-Ace would be nice but I guess they are too short to fit 8' x 4'
sheets in...

Well, seeing that the Ford Transit in it's SWB version has been the day-faco
standard that all other van maker has tried to equal in the class...

Why does it need to be smaller than a Transit, if I may ask ?

Because it'll be my only transport for several months so I'll be using
it for nipping up to the shops in the built-up area where I live, and
zipping off on 30 mile trips in (hopefully) reasonably relaxed
comfort. I dread driving transits unless I really have to. I find
them so cumbersome. I'd like something narrower, like Hi Ace perhaps -
though I've never driven one, they look like they might be more
manoeverable than a transit.

Cheers,

:::Jerry::::

"Kat" wrote in message
snip
comfort. I dread driving transits unless I really have to. I find
them so cumbersome. I'd like something narrower, like Hi Ace perhaps -
though I've never driven one, they look like they might be more
manoeverable than a transit.

Hm, forward control, not nice if your not used to it or confident...
--
Reply to group please.

begin .......nothing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Kat, Edward Rees wrote:
Good evening, I have a Renault traffic for sale 2013 with only 31.000miles
from new,service history, i have owned this van from New, Excellent Condition,
if interested ,give me a call on 07772583288,

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...bo-136557-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward Rees" m wrote in
message oupdirect.com...
replying to Kat, Edward Rees wrote:
Good evening, I have a Renault traffic for sale 2013 with only 31.000miles
from new,service history, i have owned this van from New, Excellent
Condition,
if interested ,give me a call on 07772583288,

Rather unlikely to still be looking for one 16 years later.

for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...bo-136557-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 12:09:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Edward Rees" m wrote in
message oupdirect.com...
replying to Kat, Edward Rees wrote:
Good evening, I have a Renault traffic for sale 2013 with only 31.000miles
from new,service history, i have owned this van from New, Excellent
Condition,
if interested ,give me a call on 07772583288,

Rather unlikely to still be looking for one 16 years later.

It has not been as long as you've had your website dedicated to your
trolling, senile cretin!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are sighted people on that web site blinder than I am. The dates are clearly
on those posts. The big snag is as we all know the stupid site does not seem
to care how old a post is and regurgitates them ad infinitum.
The moral of the story is, get a news reader don't use dodgy web
interfaces for usenet.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Edward Rees" m wrote
in message
oupdirect.com...
replying to Kat, Edward Rees wrote:
Good evening, I have a Renault traffic for sale 2013 with only
31.000miles
from new,service history, i have owned this van from New, Excellent
Condition,
if interested ,give me a call on 07772583288,

Rather unlikely to still be looking for one 16 years later.

for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...bo-136557-.htm

Anna Kettle

wrote:

Remember the smaller the vehicle the less weight you will be able to carry
(legally).

My van is a Vauxhall Combo which is a boxy car derived van and it can
carry a ton(ne?) and a half cos it is the version with improved
suspension, so size isn't everything. At least that is what my ex said

Its too small for 8*4 sheets and three seater sofas but its fine for
dribs and drabs house move and for cement mixers. Ford stopped making
the Escort van a while ago and I guess that is cos builders have
discovered that the boxy shape vans are much easier to get stuff in
and out of than are estate car derived ones

Being car derived (the Corsa) its easy to drive and its cheap to run
too. I suggest you look at Combo or other manufacturers equivalent
Renault Trafic etc

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You meant de facto

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...bo-136557-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2020 21:31:22, Chap wrote:
You meant de facto

Well, he's has 15 years to find out.

FYI: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I can see the date on that post, why don't people with good eyesight
see it, is it hidden in some way? On the other hand badly designed web
interfaces which do not sort for year should be taken down as not fit for
purpose.

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 09/11/2020 21:31:22, Chap wrote:
You meant de facto

Well, he's has 15 years to find out.

FYI:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Dave Jones

"Kat" wrote in message

I'm looking for a van for use when I renovate my house, then move out.
I want something small as possible (because it will be my only vehicle
for a while) However, it must be big enough to carry 4' x 8' sheets of
plasterboard, MDF etc inside. Anyone suggest some models?
Toyota Hi-ace? Nissan Vanette? Others?

It's got to be smaller than a Ford Transit; that's for sure. Toyota
Lite-Ace would be nice but I guess they are too short to fit 8' x 4'
sheets in...

Many thanks and happy boxing day..

Most builders merchants will deliver, some will charge some won't, so why go
to the expense of getting a big enough van? If you have enough storage space
you can order it all in one hit.

Also check with your insurance company wether you can get insurance on a
medium size van using your no claims off your car.

Kat

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:50:54 -0000, "Dave Jones"
wrote:

"Kat" wrote in message

I'm looking for a van for use when I renovate my house, then move out.
I want something small as possible (because it will be my only vehicle
for a while) However, it must be big enough to carry 4' x 8' sheets of
plasterboard, MDF etc inside. Anyone suggest some models?
Toyota Hi-ace? Nissan Vanette? Others?

It's got to be smaller than a Ford Transit; that's for sure. Toyota
Lite-Ace would be nice but I guess they are too short to fit 8' x 4'
sheets in...

Many thanks and happy boxing day..

Most builders merchants will deliver, some will charge some won't, so why go
to the expense of getting a big enough van? If you have enough storage space
you can order it all in one hit.

Also check with your insurance company wether you can get insurance on a
medium size van using your no claims off your car.

Good suggestions, worth considering! Thank you...

Kat

wrote:

Most builders merchants will deliver, some will charge some won't, so why go
to the expense of getting a big enough van?

Apart from fetching building materials, I'll need it when I move
house. I envisage shifting my stuff in dribs and drabs rather than in
one shipload via a removal co.

Cheers,

:::Jerry::::

wrote:

Most builders merchants will deliver, some will charge some won't, so

why go
to the expense of getting a big enough van?

Apart from fetching building materials, I'll need it when I move
house. I envisage shifting my stuff in dribs and drabs rather than in
one shipload via a removal co.

Well, unless you either don't have a sofa (or sofa sized stuff) or go for a
pick-up, something smaller than a Transit sized van will be more trouble
than it's worth in the removals dept.
--
Reply to group please.

begin .......nothing!

Kat

wrote:

Most builders merchants will deliver, some will charge some won't, so

why go
to the expense of getting a big enough van?

Apart from fetching building materials, I'll need it when I move
house. I envisage shifting my stuff in dribs and drabs rather than in
one shipload via a removal co.

Well, unless you either don't have a sofa (or sofa sized stuff) or go for a
pick-up, something smaller than a Transit sized van will be more trouble
than it's worth in the removals dept.

Good point - thanks; but I have avoided sofas, and beds that can't be
dismantled or folded. What you said about forward controls in the Hi
Ace is a good point though. I have to admit I've never driven one, but
the lack of substance between me and the hypothetical concrete lamp
post I drive into is a bit unsettling... ;-)

Owain

"Kat" wrote
| ... the lack of substance between me and the hypothetical
| concrete lamp post I drive into is a bit unsettling... ;-)

Reassure yourself with the thought that hypothetical lamp posts only cause
hypothetical injuries :-)

Owain

Dave Jones

wrote:

Most builders merchants will deliver, some will charge some won't, so why
go
to the expense of getting a big enough van?

Apart from fetching building materials, I'll need it when I move
house. I envisage shifting my stuff in dribs and drabs rather than in
one shipload via a removal co.

Cheers,

Well you could hire a box van for that, around £70 per day here

Air Rider

I'm pretty sure (as my mate has one) that the swb trannie is the same length
as a normal car. My mate couldn't have anything bigger, otherwise there
wouldn't be any parking spaces big enough outside his terraced house.

The following link will give you dimensions to most modern vans
http://www.whatvan.co.uk/search.asp

"Kat" wrote in message

I'm looking for a van for use when I renovate my house, then move out.
I want something small as possible (because it will be my only vehicle
for a while) However, it must be big enough to carry 4' x 8' sheets of
plasterboard, MDF etc inside. Anyone suggest some models?
Toyota Hi-ace? Nissan Vanette? Others?

It's got to be smaller than a Ford Transit; that's for sure. Toyota
Lite-Ace would be nice but I guess they are too short to fit 8' x 4'
sheets in...

Many thanks and happy boxing day..

Kat

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:36:57 GMT, "Air Rider" wrote:

I'm pretty sure (as my mate has one) that the swb trannie is the same length
as a normal car. My mate couldn't have anything bigger, otherwise there
wouldn't be any parking spaces big enough outside his terraced house.

I think that's about right. Nevertheless, I still think they are too
cumbersome for everyday driving. Perhaps its the width and/or the
height of the seats or something. I've hired them on occasion.

The following link will give you dimensions to most modern vans
http://www.whatvan.co.uk/search.asp

That's very useful - thank you

Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Air Rider"
saying something like:

I'm pretty sure (as my mate has one) that the swb trannie is the same length
as a normal car. My mate couldn't have anything bigger, otherwise there
wouldn't be any parking spaces big enough outside his terraced house.

If there's a bulkhead fitted, the SWB Tranny is annoyingly just too
short to get the doors shut on a sheet of 8'x4'. If no bulkhead it can
stand up and poke between the seats.

Apart from that, I found the SWB shr Tranny a gem to own, being bloody
useful for most things and an excellent tug.
--

Dave

Kat

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:05:13 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Air Rider"
saying something like:

I'm pretty sure (as my mate has one) that the swb trannie is the same length
as a normal car. My mate couldn't have anything bigger, otherwise there
wouldn't be any parking spaces big enough outside his terraced house.

If there's a bulkhead fitted, the SWB Tranny is annoyingly just too
short to get the doors shut on a sheet of 8'x4'. If no bulkhead it can
stand up and poke between the seats.

Alternatively, you can prolly drive with the back doors open, suitably
adorned wioth red rags, yes?

Apart from that, I found the SWB shr Tranny a gem to own, being bloody
useful for most things

If 'most thinks' includes nipping down to my crowded narrow shopping
street for a packet of tea bags, I'd have to beg to differ.. ;-)

Rob Morley

In article , "Kat" Katch661
@ydbttvou.com says...
snip
If 'most things' includes nipping down to my crowded narrow shopping
street for a packet of tea bags, I'd have to beg to differ.. ;-)

That's what a bicycle is for :-)
Kat

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:04:30 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , "Kat" Katch661
says...
snip
If 'most things' includes nipping down to my crowded narrow shopping
street for a packet of tea bags, I'd have to beg to differ.. ;-)

That's what a bicycle is for :-)

Good point! :-)

John Rumm

Kat wrote:

I'm looking for a van for use when I renovate my house, then move out.
I want something small as possible (because it will be my only vehicle
for a while) However, it must be big enough to carry 4' x 8' sheets of
plasterboard, MDF etc inside. Anyone suggest some models?
Toyota Hi-ace? Nissan Vanette? Others?

It's got to be smaller than a Ford Transit; that's for sure. Toyota
Lite-Ace would be nice but I guess they are too short to fit 8' x 4'
sheets in...

A builder friend had an old Nissan Vanette (which just died after many
years, 270K miles, an no maintenance unless you count adding diesel!).
You could get full size sheets in that, it was a fair bit smaller than a
transsit, it also had a tiny turning circle. The only limitation I found
was that the seat would not go far enough back to make driving it
comfortable for me, but then again I am taller than most.

--
Cheers,

John.

Kat

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:29:20 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Kat wrote:

[...]

Hi John, Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at one of those
today, and I must say it looked about right for me, size-wize, except
that it didn't look as though an 8ft sheet of board would fit in the
back. The space only looked about 6ft long. Perhaps your friend's was
a different model though.

Christian McArdle

I have a swb trannie, 1270kg payload, 8 by 4 sheets with ease, changing
room
for canoeing. It has an incredible turning circle, shorter than my other
halfs rover 25. Its economical, comfortable, parts are cheap and readily
available. I have driven many large vans at work and nothing even comes
close to the transit IMHO.

Strange. I prefer the Ducato/Boxer/Relay. Both the Trannie and Ducato are
nice to drive, but the Ducato has the dash mounted gear stick and right hand
mounted handbrake. The former is great for being lazy, the gear knob being
no more than 10cm from the steering wheel. The latter is great when carrying
passengers and they don't mangle themselves into the centrally mounted
controls.

Christian.

Lurch

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:16:55 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
strung together this:

Strange. I prefer the Ducato/Boxer/Relay. Both the Trannie and Ducato are
nice to drive, but the Ducato has the dash mounted gear stick and right hand
mounted handbrake. The former is great for being lazy, the gear knob being
no more than 10cm from the steering wheel. The latter is great when carrying
passengers and they don't mangle themselves into the centrally mounted
controls.

I used to have a 2000 W SWB Boxer 1.9D and I thought it was in
general, crap. It spent more time in the garage under warranty than it
did on my drive and everything is backwards, and cheap plasticy type
crappy flimsy. I sold it at 43,000 miles. Don't know what the new ones
are like but I had an 02 reg Partner 2.0 HDi after that and that
started to fall to pieces pretty quickly. To be fair I had it for 15
months ish and did 52,000 miles in it, after buying it with 9,000 on
the clock. I don't think it should have had to have two new
alternators, new crankshaft pulleys, bearings etc. eveery 20,000 miles
as it seemed to, but it does though.

In summary, Peugot are crap, I wouldn't be overly keen on getting
another.
--

SJW
Christian McArdle

I don't think it should have had to have two new alternators, new
crankshaft pulleys, bearings etc. eveery 20,000 miles as it
seemed to, but it does though.

A very different experience to mine, then! My first was a 1995/M (Boxer). It
did just short of 200,000 miles before some joyriders rammed it at 30mph in
reverse. I sold it to a friend of a friend (a mobile mechanic who had just
had his van and tools nicked) who has pulled out the damage and it is still
on the road, presumably at well over 200,000 miles now. Very few signs of
rust, given the age and mileage, too. My second is a 2000/X (Ducato) on
around 50,000.

I haven't had any serious mechanical trouble from either. The older one did
require a new heater matrix, but apart from that, it is just brake pads,
tyres and batteries I've changed on either of them.

Of course, they aren't really Peugeots, they're Fiats with a Peugeot
drivetrain. The engine chosen (the 1.9 XUD) is the one that seems to be in
about 50% of diesel engine cars of the period.

Christian.

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

nightjar

"Kat" wrote in message

I'm looking for a van for use when I renovate my house, then move out.
I want something small as possible (because it will be my only vehicle
for a while) However, it must be big enough to carry 4' x 8' sheets of
plasterboard, MDF etc inside. Anyone suggest some models?
Toyota Hi-ace? Nissan Vanette? Others?

It's got to be smaller than a Ford Transit; that's for sure. Toyota
Lite-Ace would be nice but I guess they are too short to fit 8' x 4'
sheets in...

Personally, I would choose the car I need, have a tow hook fitted on it, and
either hire a trailer when I needed one or, if the use justified it, buy
one.

For example, the Ifor Williams BV5 will take 2400 x 1200 mm sheets flat
inside

http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/boxvan/bv5.htm

or the BV4 will take them standing on edge

http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/boxvan/bv4.htm

I used one of the latter to take furniture the length of France a couple of
years ago.

My local Ifor Williams dealer hires out trailers and I would be surprised if
others did not do so as well.

Colin Bignell

Kat

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 08:15:18 -0000, "nightjar"
wrote:

"Kat" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Colin, Thanks for this excellent suggestion. I've never seen
trailers for hire in my area but I'd venture to guess that If I look
hard enough, I'll find some. It might even make sense for me to buy
one, since those horse-box type trailers seem like quite a secure form
of lockable storage which might be very useful when I come to move
house.

Thanks again