Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Shears Paul Shears is offline

Default Smallest vans that can carry 8' x 4' sheets of MDF/plasterboard inside?

replying to Kat, Paul Shears wrote:
Perhaps I am missing something here & I know this does not help right now,
but........
Why don't these medium size van manufacturers (VW Transporter, Ford Transit
etc.) just redesign the front seats so that they can sit higher in the cab
with a thinner base?
Use different seat materials & perhaps at greater cost to manufacture.
This would then allow 8X4 sheets to slide under the front seats.
A steel retaining bar would obviously be required to stop the sheets sliding
forward when the vehicle reduces speed.
The benefit of this in, say, a short wheel base VW transporter, would be that
the entire vehicle could be 670mm shorter which, if put into production as an
additional model, open up an entire new market segment.
I refer to the small builder looking for the smallest vehicle that can
transport half a dozen 8X4 sheets.
It seems to me that the excellent quality entire VW Caddy range could then be
dropped from production as there would be a VW transporter body to satisfy
every need including a disability vehicle.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...bo-136557-.htm