Lurch

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:43:09 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
strung together this:

I mean that the heath robinson contraption to take the movement from the
dash mounted gear stick to the gear box itself was complicated, which gave
it a somewhat temperamental reputation. One that I haven't run into
personally, however.

Ah, I getchya now!

* 3 new driveshafts.

Ouch! Was there common cause for this? Perhaps an overheated bearing that
was taking out the rubber boots or something?

Apparantly it was a reasonably commonish fault, but as per all the
others Peugeot were never interested in doing anything about it!

* 1 new ECU.
* 1 new other ECU type thing, just as expensive as the main one.
* There was a fairly major wiring fault with the vehicle (...)

Ah, this sounds like your major trouble, then. What was the wiring fault?
Something wrong with the voltage regulator or something?

I think there were several faults on the loom. A couple of them I
found while I was doing other things under the bonnet, another couple
of dodgy contacts somewhere on the cooling system that someone found,
(not a dealerships mechanic), when he serviced it and the main one was
the dodgy earth lead contact on the engine.
Although I never drove the van after the earth lead was fixed my Dad
says it was like a completely different van, it started first time
every time rather than having to give it a good few turns and the
cooling system worked properly. I think it was this fault that had
caused all the other copmponents to fail prematurely.

It certainly doesn't sound like you had a good time! Sounds like you got the
Friday afternoon model.

I've heard about those! A lot of the things were cosmetic and general
'interior' issues but after all that and then having the the Partners
mechanics be as unreliable I've decided to steer clear of the Peugeots
for now, pity because I always used to like them as they were always a
solid reliable vehicle.
--

SJW