Andy Hall

Default Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:30:31 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Well...... for its day it wasn't bad...

I've only used the desktop version, but no, it wasn't bad at all.

Good grief, that was fast......

(the reply I mean).

I run a local news server which pushes posts immediately and sucks
them every five minutes during the day - less at night.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Simon Gardner

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

I'm intrigued, what do you use 15 PCs for? Do you have many on at
once?

Some of the heat generated chez moi comes from TV equipment. In one room,
there are 4 TVs (quite often on at once) and 10 or 11 satellite receivers.

It's amazing how it all adds up to loadza-heat.

Simon Gardner

In article ,
Grunff wrote:

Yeah, it's just for the two refrigerant hoses, electric cable and drain
hose. I cut a 3" hole for comfort, but I think you could easily squeeze
them through a 2" hole.

Also a lot quieter than portables, take up a lot less room in real terms
and are more efficient. I just love 'em to bits.

IMM

"Simon Gardner" [dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message
In article ,
Pete C wrote:

I'm intrigued, what do you use 15 PCs for? Do you have many on at
once?

Some of the heat generated chez moi comes from TV equipment. In one room,
there are 4 TVs (quite often on at once) and 10 or 11 satellite receivers.

So you are an obsessed couch potato! Look, hit your problem head on and get
all that weight down and then get therapy about your TV addiction.

Bob Eager

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:27:39 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Oh, wow... I didn't know that that was still around. I have a
old copy of the desktop OS/2 Warp in the loft somewhere but haven't
run it for a very long time...

This is the latest version, with the latest fixpack no more than about 3
months old. Lots of it still around...and being marketed now as
eComStation by a third party.

One advantage of using NETBEUI is that there is no chance of a security
'leak' even if I misconfigure the firewall...!

That's certainly true.... :-) For a smallish network it makes good
sense.

Indeed...and despite IMM's ravings, it *is* a small network!
--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...

Bob Eager

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:28:03 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

I suppose that you could say that you do the Samba and totally confuse
IMM..... :-)

I would be confused. I have never known a computer or snake nerd to do the
samba.

So it did confuse him. And there he is, supposedly knowing about this
stuff...

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
IMM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:27:39 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Oh, wow... I didn't know that that was still around. I have a
old copy of the desktop OS/2 Warp in the loft somewhere but haven't
run it for a very long time...

This is the latest version, with the latest fixpack no more than about 3
months old. Lots of it still around...and being marketed now as
eComStation by a third party.

One advantage of using NETBEUI is that there is no chance of a security
'leak' even if I misconfigure the firewall...!

That's certainly true.... :-) For a smallish network it makes good
sense.

Indeed...and despite IMM's ravings, it *is* a small network!

For a house it is huge. I would get the council onto you.

IMM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:28:03 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

I suppose that you could say that you do the Samba and totally confuse
IMM..... :-)

I would be confused. I have never known a computer or snake nerd to do

the
samba.

So it did confuse him. And there he is, supposedly knowing about this
stuff...

I do know about this stuff and the tang and cha cha cha too. Putting
Samba's on computers is a silly idea. It is as daft as putting snakes on
them.

Bob Eager

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:58:46 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

For a house it is huge. I would get the council onto you.

For what?

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...

John Laird

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:58:46 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

Indeed...and despite IMM's ravings, it *is* a small network!

For a house it is huge. I would get the council onto you.

Your deranged attitude knows no bounds. What the ****** is it to you (or
the Government or anyone) what a person lawfully does in the privacy of
their own home ?

--
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Mail john rather than nospam...
IMM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:58:46 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

For a house it is huge. I would get the council onto you.

For what?

Running commercial concern in a domestic dwelling.

Nick Brooks

IMM wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:58:46 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

For a house it is huge. I would get the council onto you.

For what?

Running commercial concern in a domestic dwelling.

There's nothing wrong in running a business from home, in many cases you
don't even need permission.

Nick Brooks
Grunff

IMM wrote:

Running commercial concern in a domestic dwelling.

You'd better tell them about me too!

--
Grunff
Bob Eager

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:31:43 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:58:46 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

For a house it is huge. I would get the council onto you.

For what?

Running commercial concern in a domestic dwelling.

Very hard to prove, because I'm not.

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...

Owain

"Grunff" wrote
| IMM wrote:
| Have you ever been in a commercial unit???

IMM can't afford the fees charged by commercial units, he has to go National
Health.

Owain

Owain

"IMM" wrote
| When they come with the white coats on, hide the shovels.

This is good advice from someone with experience?

Owain

Simon Gardner

In article ,
"Bob Eager" wrote:

Running commercial concern in a domestic dwelling.

Very hard to prove, because I'm not.

In actual fact, all sorts of working from home is perfectly legal - and
indeed actively encouraged - so called tele-working for instance or IT
jobs. Very large varieties of work could be conducted at home and the list
is growing. Government and local authorities encourage this for all sorts
of sound reasons - from being better for "the family", for carers, for
disabled people for parents of the very young, for part timers - as well as
being often much more socially, ecologically and environmentally sound.

It's not that long ago historically when everyone effectively worked at
home or from home.

In general (aside from restrictive covenants and ground leases etc) the
only problems you are likely to face working from home as far as government
and the law are concerend is where you will have major noise or traffic or
other impact on your neighbours: Things like running a large commercial car
repair shop in the street, 24 hour light engineering, a knocking shop or a
retailers. But "quiet" or "indoors" type work with no local traffic impact
is all perfectly legal.

There is of course CGT to consider, but that's another matter.

Andy Hall

On 27 Apr 2004 14:38:01 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

The knocking shop is next door, and the council were mainly concerned
that they hadn't notified 'change of use'. I am NOT joking.

What did they do there before?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Bob Eager

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:50:46 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

On 27 Apr 2004 14:38:01 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

The knocking shop is next door, and the council were mainly concerned
that they hadn't notified 'change of use'. I am NOT joking.

What did they do there before?

Taxi office! Was changed to a "men's heatlh club" !!!
--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Grunff

Andy Hall wrote:

I run a local news server which pushes posts immediately and sucks
them every five minutes during the day - less at night.

Keep meaning to get round to setting up a local news server, but that
one somehow keeps dropping to the bottom of the list. Maybe when the
house is finished :-) There are many things on the "maybe when the house
is finished" list...

--
Grunff
James Hart

Grunff wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

I run a local news server which pushes posts immediately and sucks
them every five minutes during the day - less at night.

Keep meaning to get round to setting up a local news server, but that
one somehow keeps dropping to the bottom of the list. Maybe when the
house is finished :-) There are many things on the "maybe when the
house is finished" list...

I use Hamster on my spare Windows box, does a fine job as well.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

IMM

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message
IMM wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:58:46 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

For a house it is huge. I would get the council onto you.

For what?

Running commercial concern in a domestic dwelling.

There's nothing wrong in running a business from home, in many cases you
don't even need permission.

In many cases you do. Try using your garage as a storage room for mail
order as see what they say.

Grunff

IMM wrote:

In many cases you do. Try using your garage as a storage room for mail
order as see what they say.

So that's what he does for a living.

--
Grunff

zero

r u being sponsored m8 - your a classic !

howz your straight jacket fitting you ?

:-)

"IMM" wrote in message

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:48:46 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

So, you are into kink as well. A kinky beanpole. How gross.

Could be worse, could be kinky and the size of a supermarket, must be
terrible for you.

This is another case of a hang-up because of his physical abnormality.
Therapy is the answer. You must get therapy now. Lots of it. This is

for
your own good. When they come with the white coats on, hide the shovels.

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

In many cases you do. Try using your garage as a storage room for mail
order as see what they say.

So that's what he does for a living.

He does? I thought it was computer related.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , zero
wrote:

r u being sponsored m8 - your a classic !

Have the primary schools not gone back yet then? Or are you playing truant?

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **

IMM

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , zero
wrote:

r u being sponsored m8 - your a classic !

Have the primary schools not gone back yet then? Or are you playing

truant?

He parents can be jailed for allowing this.

Andy Hall

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:27:39 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Oh, wow... I didn't know that that was still around. I have a
old copy of the desktop OS/2 Warp in the loft somewhere but haven't
run it for a very long time...

This is the latest version, with the latest fixpack no more than about 3
months old. Lots of it still around...and being marketed now as
eComStation by a third party.

One advantage of using NETBEUI is that there is no chance of a security
'leak' even if I misconfigure the firewall...!

That's certainly true.... :-) For a smallish network it makes good
sense.

Indeed...and despite IMM's ravings, it *is* a small network!

For a house it is huge. I would get the council onto you.

So size of network in a house represents a commercial enterprise?

I don't think so.

If a council were in the least bit interested (and they are not) it
would be issues like whether there are large numbers of trucks
delivering goods or a lack of off-street parking or possibly whether
there is an accompanying sweat shop.

Since the government and others is heavily encouraging lack of travel
by introducing disincentives for doing so like the congestion zones
and the London Underground then it would be rather hard to complain
about home working. They are even pushing "broadband", but no
cabinet minister knows what it is (or which day of the week it is
either).

As far as delivery of packets are concerned, almost all of mine come
over copper wire or microwave link, or if need be by Fedex.

This is not of interest to the council, or for that matter any of
their business.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

I would get them onto you too, because of those snakes.

Simon Gardner

Freak summers 'will happen regularly'

Costly extremes of weather will become the norm, study suggests

Tim Radford, science editor
Monday January 12, 2004
The Guardian

The 2003 heatwave in Europe that killed at least 20,000 people and
triggered losses of an estimated £7bn could be a taste of things to come,
according to research released today.

Climate scientists from Zurich report in Nature online that the summer
heatwave that broke all records in France, Germany and central Europe had
been extremely unusual, even given the steady rise in average global
temperatures over the past 150 years.

Christophe SchŠr and six colleagues said this increase could not explain
why European thermometers had risen so high, and stayed at the danger level
for so long. But the heatwave, of the kind experienced once in 450 years,
may not have been a freak.

The Swiss researchers used computer-driven weather models to determine
whether climate variability - the already large difference between weather
extremes - was likely to increase with average temperature and growing
concentrations of greenhouse gases. In one simulation they found that,
towards the end of the century, every second summer could be as hot and as
dry as 2003.

"The European summer climate might experience a profound increase in
year-to-year variability in response to greenhouse forcing," they wrote.
"Such an increase in variability might be able to explain the unusual
European summer of 2003, and would strongly affect the incidence of
heatwaves and droughts in the future. It would represent a serious
challenge to adaptive response strategies designed to cope with climate
change."

The 10 hottest years on record have occurred since 1991, and the Zurich
report is the third in less than a week to underline the climate threat.

On Thursday, scientists warned that global warming posed a danger of
extinction for a million vulnerable plants and animals. On Friday the
government's chief scientist, Sir David King, said climate change was a
more serious threat than global terrorism. A survey of storms, droughts,
heatwaves and other natural disasters in 2003 supports Sir David's
argument.

According to the insurance giant Munich Re, 700 natural disasters last year
claimed 50,000 lives, almost five times as many as in in 2002, and cost
$60bn (£33bn). The temperatures in Germany alone between July and August
were of the kind that might be expected to happen only once in Europe in
450 years. By 2020, the insurance chiefs said, such heatwaves might be
happening every 20 years.

"We will have to get used to the fact that hot summers like the one we had
in Europe must be expected more frequently in the future," said Gerhard
Berz, the head of the company's risks research team. "It is possible that
they will have become more or less the norm by the middle of the century.
The summer of 2003 was a summer of the future, so to speak."

The earthquake in Iran on Boxing Day and the heatwave in Europe accounted
for most of the deaths last year. But other freak events took a huge toll.
In September, Hurricane Isabel destroyed 360,000 homes on the US east
coast, and a series of tornadoes in May caused $3bn worth of damage.

Heatwaves in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan took temperatures up to 50C
(122F). In China floods along the Huai and Yangtze rivers swept through
650,000 homes and caused more than £4bn of losses. Forest fires scorched
huge areas of Australia, southwestern Europe, Canada and the US. Fires in
California alone cost the insurance industry $2bn (£1.1bn).

IMM

"Simon Gardner" [dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message
Freak summers 'will happen regularly'

Costly extremes of weather will become the norm, study suggests

Tim Radford, science editor
Monday January 12, 2004
The Guardian

No excuse for obesity at all. Just insulate well. shade well and ventilate
well. No need to add to global warming.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:28:55 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I see. They aren't interested in herpetiles either, especially
since they are non-venomous and quite small.

Therefore there is no need for you to be like the trouser variety.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Simon Gardner

It seems this year's offerings from B&Q include the previously mentioned
evaporative cooler at GBP49.

Also, a GBP179 "WA903 Mobile Air conditioner" at 8000 "BTU" - whatever
that is in real money; a GBP298 Habicool Mobile Air Conditioner at 12000
"BTU" - again whatever that is in real money; and a smaller GBP248
Habicool Mobile Air Conditioner rated at 10000 "BTU" - yet again whatever
that is in real money.

[If B&Q's previous daftness is continued, the unit's power consumption will
be shown on the data plate in Watts and its dimensions also in SI units.
Consistency ain't B&Q's strong point - presumably in order the better to
bamboozle customers.]

I presume these might be "hang a hoze out the window" jobs? Anyone had a
look at any of them?

MBQ

rnet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote in message ...
Freak summers 'will happen regularly'

Costly extremes of weather will become the norm, study suggests

Tim Radford, science editor
Monday January 12, 2004
The Guardian

The 2003 heatwave in Europe that killed at least 20,000 people and
triggered losses of an estimated £7bn could be a taste of things to come,
according to research released today.

Note the word "could"

Climate scientists from Zurich report in Nature online that the summer
heatwave that broke all records in France, Germany and central Europe had
been extremely unusual, even given the steady rise in average global
temperatures over the past 150 years.

Christophe Sch?r and six colleagues said this increase could not explain
why European thermometers had risen so high, and stayed at the danger level
for so long. But the heatwave, of the kind experienced once in 450 years,
may not have been a freak.

The Swiss researchers used computer-driven weather models to determine

We all know how accurate those are!

whether climate variability - the already large difference between weather
extremes - was likely to increase with average temperature and growing
concentrations of greenhouse gases. In one simulation they found that,
towards the end of the century, every second summer could be as hot and as
dry as 2003.

But how many simulations did they run in total? I bet they don't tell
us, nor what the results were.

"The European summer climate might experience a profound increase in
year-to-year variability in response to greenhouse forcing," they wrote.
"Such an increase in variability might be able to explain the unusual
European summer of 2003, and would strongly affect the incidence of
heatwaves and droughts in the future. It would represent a serious
challenge to adaptive response strategies designed to cope with climate
change."

"might"

The 10 hottest years on record have occurred since 1991, and the Zurich
report is the third in less than a week to underline the climate threat.

But the record doesn't go back very far. It was just as hot in the
past.

On Thursday, scientists warned that global warming posed a danger of
extinction for a million vulnerable plants and animals. On Friday the
government's chief scientist, Sir David King, said climate change was a
more serious threat than global terrorism. A survey of storms, droughts,
heatwaves and other natural disasters in 2003 supports Sir David's
argument.

What? Natural disasters have always been a more serious threat than
global terrorism. How does that support any argument about climate
change?

According to the insurance giant Munich Re, 700 natural disasters last year
claimed 50,000 lives, almost five times as many as in in 2002, and cost
$60bn (£33bn). The temperatures in Germany alone between July and August
were of the kind that might be expected to happen only once in Europe in
450 years. By 2020, the insurance chiefs said, such heatwaves might be
happening every 20 years.

Then again, they might not. But it's a good excuse to increase
premiums.

"We will have to get used to the fact that hot summers like the one we had
in Europe must be expected more frequently in the future," said Gerhard
Berz, the head of the company's risks research team. "It is possible that
they will have become more or less the norm by the middle of the century.
The summer of 2003 was a summer of the future, so to speak."

It's also possible that they will not.

The earthquake in Iran on Boxing Day and the heatwave in Europe accounted
for most of the deaths last year. But other freak events took a huge toll.
In September, Hurricane Isabel destroyed 360,000 homes on the US east
coast, and a series of tornadoes in May caused $3bn worth of damage.

And the point of that information is?

Someone once tried to use the increasing value of insurance claims
following hurricanes in the US to prove that hurricanes were getting
worse, therefore global warming was causing climate change. It was, of
course, a load of tosh with no account taken for the increasing
numbers of people living in hurricane prone areas and the increased
living standards naturally leading to higher insurance claims.

Heatwaves in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan took temperatures up to 50C
(122F). In China floods along the Huai and Yangtze rivers swept through
650,000 homes and caused more than £4bn of losses. Forest fires scorched
huge areas of Australia, southwestern Europe, Canada and the US. Fires in
California alone cost the insurance industry $2bn (£1.1bn).

Let them burn and let nature repair itself. Attempting to keep forest
areas fire free only stores up trouble.

Scientists are now saying that global warming is occuring on Mars,
too. Not much human activity there so why are we so sure it's caused
by human activity on Earth? I'll leave it as an exercise to determine
the common factor.

MBQ
Bob

"MBQ" wrote in message
om...

Scientists are now saying that global warming is occuring on Mars,
too. Not much human activity there so why are we so sure it's caused
by human activity on Earth? I'll leave it as an exercise to determine
the common factor.

MBQ

Probably all that hot air from the enviro-nazis.

Bob

Wireless Room Stats - Any good? Mike Hibbert UK diy 7 January 9th 04 04:53 PM
YAGI: Yet Another Good Idea! Mungo Henning UK diy 6 November 6th 03 06:21 PM
Avoiding brush stokes - getting a good painted finish Frank W UK diy 5 August 21st 03 03:59 PM
Air conditioning thread Grunff UK diy 68 August 8th 03 08:21 PM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM