Mungo Henning

Default YAGI: Yet Another Good Idea!

Hi Folks,
Well, I think it's a good idea (hence the Subject line).

It sounds blooming obvious when you think about it, but I'm sharing the
concept
just the same.

Scenario: Our 1999 kitchen needs a freshening coat of paint, hence I've got
the sugar soap
out to degrease the walls before I recoat them.
My wife and I are reasonably tall (she's 5' 10", I'm 6' 2") so when we
bought the kitchen we
chose tall wall cupboards to increase the storage and avoid the temptation
of putting items
on top of the cupboard.
Whilst on my rare visit to the eight inch gap between cupboard top and
ceiling I noticed the
quantity of dust the enough to plant flowers in (yuk!).
So, after a good ten or more minutes scrubbing I've time to consider the
next ocassion when I
will repeat the event - something to be avoided.

So now, the Good Idea is to use an old newspaper to line the top of the
cupboards (all hidden
behind the pelment thinggy on top of the cupboard - it's not a "pelmet" it's
a "..." damn, can't
remember the word).

Simple. Effective. And in another 4 years time all I do is gather the
newspaper and bin it
and replace it.

Just passing on the tip.

Mungo :-)

Reestit Mutton

Mungo Henning wrote:
Hi Folks,

So now, the Good Idea is to use an old newspaper to line the top of the
cupboards (all hidden
behind the pelment thinggy on top of the cupboard - it's not a "pelmet" it's
a "..." damn, can't
remember the word).

Yep - that's what I do, but with lining paper.

However...Newspapers might be more interesting when it comes to cleaning
up after 10 years - it's give you a nostalgia trip just reading 'em.

....and the word you're looking for is "cornice" - "pelmet" goes under
the cupboards and "plinth" goes along the floor to hide the legs of the
base units.

"plinth" is also (mistakenly?) referred to by some people as "kickboard"
although, I always thought that was the metal plate screwed to the
bottom of doors to avoid damaging them over time due to kicking.

RM

Andy Hall

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:01:40 +0000 (UTC), "Mungo Henning"
wrote:

Hi Folks,
Well, I think it's a good idea (hence the Subject line).

I was hoping for an array of them.......... ;-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Owain

Default Yet Another Good Idea!

"Mungo Henning" wrote
| My wife and I are reasonably tall (she's 5' 10", I'm 6' 2") so
| when we bought the kitchen we chose tall wall cupboards to
| increase the storage and avoid the temptation of putting items
| on top of the cupboard.
| Whilst on my rare visit to the eight inch gap between cupboard
| top and ceiling I noticed the quantity of dust the enough to
| plant flowers in (yuk!).

Yes it's not nice up there is it.

Even better idea might be to plasterboard the gap so the wall units look
like they're flush in to the wall.

Owain

Mary Fisher

Si, do you know what a Henning is?

Mary

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Si, do you know what a Henning is?

Is it a large collection of Dykes?

Mary

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Si, do you know what a Henning is?

Is it a large collection of Dykes?

As in ditches?

No, it's a mediaeval woman's headdress - the tall pointy thing with a veil.

Mary

Mary