Phil Addison

Default Combi boiler - Hot water 'heat dump' too hot

In a private e-mail to , on Thurs, 18 Nov 2004
20:43:28 -0000, Tania wrote:

HELLO

I have recently had a combi boiler put in, and whenever the hot tap is put
on there is a really hot burst of water (too painful to use). It then goes
cold for a while, then heats up to the temerature I set on the boiler
thermostat. I have two very young children and worry about them turning on
the hot tap in the loo or bathroom. Has anyone else found a solution to
this. I asked the engineer who came out to sort out a lighting problem
today, and he said 'other people don't moan about it' which left me feeling
fed up and no wiser. He did explain to me how it happens several times,
each more slowly than the last, he was a very rude man! he had no will to
try and reassure me, but when pushed did say it would be 64 degrees
maximum - so not scalding. Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Regards

Tania

Water temperature fluctuations seems a common problem with combis in
houses I have visited. Can anyone help with a solution to this problem
that I received via email from the FAQ website?

Thanks

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
tarquinlinbin

20:43:28 -0000, Tania wrote:

[...]

Yes,why oh why do combi installers chuck out a perfectly usable
cylinder,especially in large family houses?. My view for family
properties is to keep the cylinder,feed it from the combi,obviously
make sure things are well insulated/controlled.
Thanks

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

IMM

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message

Yes,why oh why do combi installers chuck out a perfectly usable
cylinder,especially in large family houses?. My view for family
properties is to keep the cylinder,feed it from the combi,obviously
make sure things are well insulated/controlled.

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.
Find how water systems work. here are high flow combi's around, that will
do a large family.

An advantage of a combi is that it liberates space tanks and cylinders take
up.

Andy Wade

IMM wrote:

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.
Find how water systems work. here are high flow combi's around, that will
do a large family.

Have you ever though about taking remedial English lessons?

--
Andy
Andy Wade

IMM wrote:

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.
Find how water systems work. here are high flow combi's around, that will
do a large family.

Have you ever thought about taking remedial English lessons?

--
Andy

IMM

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.
Find how water systems work. There are high flow combi's around, that

will
do a large family.

Have you ever thought about taking remedial English lessons?

No need to as I am brilliant at English and life in general.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Yes,why oh why do combi installers chuck out a perfectly usable
cylinder,especially in large family houses?. My view for family
properties is to keep the cylinder,feed it from the combi,obviously
make sure things are well insulated/controlled.

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.

Strange. I know of one system where the combi heats a tank in the normal
way, and the water heating side is used just for the kitchen. Not sure
what the benefits are, as the owner is as mad as you.

Find how water systems work. here are high flow combi's around, that
will do a large family.

And the cost to achieve this, assuming a good storage system already
exists?

An advantage of a combi is that it liberates space tanks and cylinders
take up.

Not everyone lives in a rabbit hutch.

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Christian McArdle

Water temperature fluctuations seems a common problem with combis in
houses I have visited. Can anyone help with a solution to this problem
that I received via email from the FAQ website?

As well as weird effects due to the combi design, another possibility if the
combi DHW output and the CH pipes run in very close proximity (particularly
if boxed in) is that the DHW is being heated by the CH pipes whilst sitting
adjacent to them, to a much higher temp that the actual DHW output. When you
turn on the tap, this slug of hot water comes out.

It is only a suggestion, and probably isn't the problem, but could be fixed
by separating the pipes with a bit of insulation.

Christian.

Andy Wade

IMM wrote:

No need to as I am brilliant at English and life in general.

The evidence for that seems to be a little thin on the ground...

--
Andy
Christian McArdle

Strange. I know of one system where the combi heats a tank in the normal
way, and the water heating side is used just for the kitchen. Not sure
what the benefits are, as the owner is as mad as you.

It can be good in a large house to reduce water lead times, particularly if
the boiler is in the kitchen. The hot water cylinder is placed near the
bathroom to provide lots of hot water quickly, whilst the kitchen runs off
the combi, because you'd have to draw off 10 litres of water before anything
came through from the distant bathroom. It also provides drinking hot water
in the kitchen, which is very useful when cooking. I use my hot tap all the
time to fill kettles and pans. (It's a heat bank, not a combi, but still
drinking water).

Christian.

IMM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
IMM wrote:
Yes,why oh why do combi installers chuck out a perfectly usable
cylinder,especially in large family houses?. My view for family
properties is to keep the cylinder,feed it from the combi,obviously
make sure things are well insulated/controlled.

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.

Strange. I know of one system

snip tripe

Please do not comment on fields you have no experience of.

IMM

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

No need to as I am brilliant at English and life in general.

The evidence for that seems to be a little thin on the ground...

But thick in the air.

John Rumm

IMM wrote:

"Andy Wade" wrote in message

IMM wrote:

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.
Find how water systems work. There are high flow combi's around, that

will

do a large family.

Have you ever thought about taking remedial English lessons?

No need to as I am brilliant at English and life in general.

Should we award the same respect to your other posts as we do to the one
above?

--
Cheers,

John.

Phil Addison

IMM wrote:
Yes,why oh why do combi installers chuck out a perfectly usable
cylinder,especially in large family houses?. My view for family
properties is to keep the cylinder,feed it from the combi,obviously
make sure things are well insulated/controlled.

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.

Strange. I know of one system

snip tripe

Please do not comment on fields you have no experience of.

How about attempting top answer the actual original question?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
IMM

IMM wrote:
Yes,why oh why do combi installers chuck out a perfectly usable
cylinder,especially in large family houses?. My view for family
properties is to keep the cylinder,feed it from the

combi,obviously
make sure things are well insulated/controlled.

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will

burst.

Strange. I know of one system

snip tripe

Please do not comment on fields you have no experience of.

How about attempting top answer the actual original question?

It was answered. It will burst.

John Rumm

IMM wrote:

It was answered. It will burst.

Short term memory propblem again? go read the OP again.

--
Cheers,

John.

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:33:48 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Yes,why oh why do combi installers chuck out a perfectly usable
cylinder,especially in large family houses?. My view for family
properties is to keep the cylinder,feed it from the combi,obviously
make sure things are well insulated/controlled.

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.

Strange. I know of one system where the combi heats a tank in the normal
way, and the water heating side is used just for the kitchen. Not sure
what the benefits are, as the owner is as mad as you.

I installed a similar system for my nieghbours directly opposite my
house. S-plan for the house, combi HW for a sink in the garage below the
house. They like baths and it would have been hard to gain access to the
HW pipes under the kitchen floor to supply the garage sink.

Find how water systems work. here are high flow combi's around, that
will do a large family.

And the cost to achieve this, assuming a good storage system already
exists?

The cost IMHO is less significant the space taken up in the kitchen
(usually). The space to be lost in the kitchen would usually be more
precious than the space gain in the loft and/or airing cupboard.

An advantage of a combi is that it liberates space tanks and cylinders
take up.

Not everyone lives in a rabbit hutch.

Round here a lot do.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Strange. I know of one system where the combi heats a tank in the normal
way, and the water heating side is used just for the kitchen. Not sure
what the benefits are, as the owner is as mad as you.

It can be good in a large house to reduce water lead times, particularly
if the boiler is in the kitchen. The hot water cylinder is placed near
the bathroom to provide lots of hot water quickly, whilst the kitchen
runs off the combi, because you'd have to draw off 10 litres of water
before anything came through from the distant bathroom. It also provides
drinking hot water in the kitchen, which is very useful when cooking. I
use my hot tap all the time to fill kettles and pans. (It's a heat bank,
not a combi, but still drinking water).

Right. Suppose it makes some sense. Any combi should be ok for just the
kitchen tap. Could it still be used if the central heating side was
drained down for any reason?

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ed Sirett

IMM wrote:
Yes,why oh why do combi installers chuck out a perfectly usable
cylinder,especially in large family houses?. My view for family
properties is to keep the cylinder,feed it from the combi,obviously
make sure things are well insulated/controlled.

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.

Strange. I know of one system

snip tripe

Please do not comment on fields you have no experience of.

How about attempting top answer the actual original question?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

IME experience there are several reasons why (ordinary) combi boilers have poor
regulation of DHW temperature.

1) Drawing off water from elsewhere especially in the same dwelling.
2) Thermostatic mixing valves fighting the boiler.

but mainly:
3) When the DHW exchanger becomes scaled up the heat transfer rate becomes
limited, that's bad enough. Eventually the heat transfer rate drops below
the lowest modulated setting of the burner (typically around 10-12kW on a
popular 24kW unit), at this point the control system, in order to modulate
the burner further has to start switching it on an off. Given the
considerable thermal inertia of the components a fluctuation of the output
temperature begins.

1. Can be mitigated by good design and practice. Namely don't fit a combi
where the supply is inadequate. Take it's supply upstream of other
draw offs (even consider putting a slight restriction on the feed to
everything except the combi.

2. This is not a common problem and shoudl be mitigated by getting 1 and 3
right.

3. Descale or replace secondary heat exchanger.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:05:35 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Please do not comment on fields you have no experience of.

How about attempting top answer the actual original question?

Don't be silly, Phil, that would require some original thought.

A lose lose situation for IMM.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Phil Addison

20:43:28 -0000, Tania wrote:

[...]

Hi Ed, Thanks for getting us back on topic. Sorry if my post was
confusing, but I am passing on a problem I got from a reader of the FAQ
site, who does not seem able to access the ng.

However, she says the combi was recently installed, so scaling (3)
should not be the cause, and her description appears to rule out 1 & 2.

The problem seems to be that from when turned on the water initially
comes out very hot, then goes cold, then warms up to the correct stat
temperature. I wonder if it could be because she has the tap turned on
only a small amount initially, so it overheats and shuts down, then she
turns the tap on more in order to make it re-light. Could this last
action could produce cold until the over-heat resets, and then the
greater flow enables it to modulate properly and warm up to the right
temperature?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Phil Addison

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:22:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:05:35 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Please do not comment on fields you have no experience of.

How about attempting top answer the actual original question?

Don't be silly, Phil, that would require some original thought.

A lose lose situation for IMM.

That was meant to be addressed to the whole thread. I obviously didn't
expect any sense from IMM. I also changed the subject line to keep the
junk separate, at least for newsreaders that thread by subject.

Phil
richard

"IMM" wrote in message

No need to as I am brilliant at English and life in general.

IMM , every post a gem. long may you reign.

The retort puts me in mind of Tom Baker narrating "Little Britain"
fab.

Rich

IMM

Phil Addison wrote:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:05:35 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Please do not comment on fields you have no experience of.

How about attempting top answer the actual original question?

Don't be silly, Phil, that would require some original thought.

A lose lose situation for IMM.

WE need people on here who read properly. Will both of you two please go
way to alt.cant.read.

IMM

Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

Anyone who comes out with that should just shut up about heating and water
systems. What a dork! Some mothers.....

IMM

news

IMM wrote:
[...]

????

An advantage of a combi is that it liberates space tanks and cylinders
take up.

Not everyone lives in a rabbit hutch.

Round here a lot do.

Most do. You find that a cylinder removed from the airing cupboard and a
small rad installed is greatly appreciated. The space it releases is
phenomenal. Using Elson tanks can make a difference. The square shapes take
up far less space. Gledhill now make the XStream unvented cylinder in a
square shape, with all connections on one side.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Right. Suppose it makes some sense. Any combi should be ok for just the
kitchen tap. Could it still be used if the central heating side was
drained down for any reason?

Anyone who comes out with that should just shut up about heating and
water systems. What a dork! Some mothers.....

Oh. I was hoping you'd say it would explode, as in your earlier post...

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
WE need people on here who read properly. Will both of you two please go
way to alt.cant.read.

alt.can't.write is thataway

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:18:26 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

Generally yes.
In fact this last week I installed a small heating system completely from
scratch. I removed the existing multipoint and installed the boiler on
the first day. Closed the flow and return isolators, filled it, bled it,
and the user had hot water again by the end of the day.
Not all combis will tolerate this, the model in question was a Vaillant
828, but most would I think.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Ed Sirett

20:43:28 -0000, Tania wrote:

[...]

Sorry I have now read the OP properly.
The combi is working correctly and the 'feature' does occur on many
models.

I'm familiar with several models although some models might not exhibit
the problem though most do I would guess. A model name would help here.
In fact the only ones which I reckon are ones with a sperate internal
bypass pipework.

On many models the secondary heat exchanger also serves as a part of the
bypass ciurcuit. This is easily implemented by arranging for the
diverter valve to bleed primary water through the secondary heat exchnager
when in CH mode. So in winter the 2ndry HE gets to the temperature of the
primary flow. This means that the contents of the 2ndry HE are hot, this
slug of very hot water will comes out first in DHW mode.

To mitigate the problem try turning the radiator tempertaure down.
Of course if the rads are not over sized then the house won't get
heated. 8-(.

All the boilers which have double primary heat exchnagers (eg Ferolli)
or integral tube-in-tube type like (Pott. Lynx, Saunier Duval)
will also have this problem and likely a worse version.

HTH

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

IMM

news

Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

Most combi's will act as a stand alone multi-point as long as the CH is is
charged with water. What this know-it-all-fool wants to know is if a combi
will operate with the CH side dry. They will not.

IMM

IMM wrote:
Right. Suppose it makes some sense. Any combi should be ok for just

the
kitchen tap. Could it still be used if the central heating side was
drained down for any reason?

Anyone who comes out with that should just shut up about heating and
water systems. What a dork! Some mothers.....

Oh. I was hoping you'd say it would explode, as in your earlier post...

It just will not work.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Right. Suppose it makes some sense. Any combi should be ok for just
the kitchen tap. Could it still be used if the central heating side
was drained down for any reason?

Generally yes. In fact this last week I installed a small heating
system completely from scratch. I removed the existing multipoint and
installed the boiler on the first day. Closed the flow and return
isolators, filled it, bled it, and the user had hot water again by the
end of the day. Not all combis will tolerate this, the model in
question was a Vaillant 828, but most would I think.

Thanks for a comprehensive answer, Ed.

Most combi's will act as a stand alone multi-point as long as the CH is
is charged with water. What this know-it-all-fool wants to know is if a
combi will operate with the CH side dry. They will not.

Mind reading again, idiot?

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
IMM

IMM wrote:
Right. Suppose it makes some sense. Any combi should be ok for just
the kitchen tap. Could it still be used if the central heating side
was drained down for any reason?

Generally yes. In fact this last week I installed a small heating
system completely from scratch. I removed the existing multipoint and
installed the boiler on the first day. Closed the flow and return
isolators, filled it, bled it, and the user had hot water again by the
end of the day. Not all combis will tolerate this, the model in
question was a Vaillant 828, but most would I think.

Thanks for a comprehensive answer, Ed.

Most combi's will act as a stand alone multi-point as long as the CH is
is charged with water. What this know-it-all-fool wants to know is if a
combi will operate with the CH side dry. They will not.

Mind reading again, idiot?

Answer to your question is: you are an idiot.

Holly

In article IMM wrote:

Anyone who comes out with that should just shut up about heating and
water systems. What a dork! Some mothers.....

Oh. I was hoping you'd say it would explode, as in your earlier

post...

My HW cylinders seem to be in danger of explosion now.....

Holly

Pete C

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:12:25 +0000, "Ed Sirett"
wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Does it bleed water regardless of the flow in the primary and can it
be blocked somehow? If there is a differential pressure valve in there
or it can be blocked it may be possible to use a lower pressure one
elsewhere.

cheers,
Pete.
Ed Sirett

wrote:

[...]

I'm fairly sure that modern Vaillants and Vokeras work as I describe.
The diverter-valve does not entirely block the path through the primary
side of the secondary heat exchanger. There is nothing smart about this
it is simply a deliberate hole in the valve. The effect is to slightly
reduce the output of the boiler in CH mode, since the output in CH mode is
usually far in exces of requirements this is not a problem.

The only way to prevent the primary water doing this wouod be to modify
the diverte valve. The effect of doing this would be disasterous.
1) The boiler would have no bypass.
2) On Vaillants there would be no sensing of primary water temperture
leading to a catastrophe.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

"Andy Wade" wrote in message

IMM wrote:

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will burst.
Find how water systems work. There are high flow combi's around, that

will

do a large family.

Have you ever thought about taking remedial English lessons?

No need to as I am brilliant at English and life in general.

"You left out a 'there is', a second 'at', and there is a superfluous
'to' and three commas are missing."

3/10.

EXCERPT FROM IMM'S SCHOOL PSYCHITATSIC CAREER REPORT
Must try harder.

This child is held back by conviction of his own correctness.

I strongly doubt he would be capable of being even a plumber.

Incapable of coming to terms with reality, he is gullible and defensive.
Mild sociopathic tendencies.

John works best in a situation in which he is given clear simple
instructions, and there is no ambiguity, and some else is doing the
thinking for him.

Left to hs own devices he grabs for any piece of printed matter that has
one or two longer words on than he can understand, and uses it as an
effective Bible. His deep supsicion that other people are laughing at
him and trying to manipulate his (very limited) intellect does not
extend to the printed word.

He would hae made an ideal Camp guard at Buchenwald, or Roman Catholic
Priest, but today is likely to never find satisfaction for his
socipathic tendencies, and will probably end up stalking, becoming an
Internet geek, or join the political party that tells the biggest lies,
in the fewest words.

IMM

IMM wrote:

"Andy Wade" wrote in message

IMM wrote:

This that is your view you should change it, as the cylinder will

burst.
Find how water systems work. There are high flow combi's around, that

will

do a large family.

Have you ever thought about taking remedial English lessons?

No need to as I am brilliant at English and life in general.

"You left out a 'there is', a second 'at', and there is a superfluous
'to' and three commas are missing."

How about a "z"s here and there.

Must try harder.

No need. Brilliant as I am.

I strongly doubt he would be capable of being even a plumber.

Too true, not a plumber. 10/10

He would hae made an ideal Camp
guard at Buchenwald, or Roman Catholic
Priest,

Are you saying both are the same? My oh my!!! This one needs professional
attention.

or join the political party that tells the biggest lies,
in the fewest words.

I will never join the Tory party.

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

He would hae made an ideal Camp
guard at Buchenwald, or Roman Catholic
Priest,

Are you saying both are the same? My oh my!!! This one needs professional
attention.

I know you do John.

But under Nu Laber you have been released into community care. We do our
best with you John.