Mary Fisher

"Jayne" wrote in message

The only thing I have against my Dyson is that it is very heavy to lug
around and a bit unwieldy.

Good luck with deciding Mary.

It's not actually for me. I was being a clever clogs with a friend when she
talked about getting one and said I thought the folk round here didn't like
them.

I've told her to read the thread.

Mary

Jayne

Richard Faulkner

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

I have always sworn by Henrys, but after using a DC04 the other week, I
bought a Dyson Animal, (£224 from Tesco or Curry's website). Its the
dogs........... g

Having used the Henry, my cream carpet looked OK. Using the Dyson
afterwards, my cream carpet looked - well - cream.

--
Richard Faulkner
Andy Hall

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:15:21 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Jayne" wrote in message

The only thing I have against my Dyson is that it is very heavy to lug
around and a bit unwieldy.

Good luck with deciding Mary.

It's not actually for me. I was being a clever clogs with a friend when she
talked about getting one and said I thought the folk round here didn't like
them.

I've told her to read the thread.

Mary

What's she done to you?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Jayne" wrote in message

The only thing I have against my Dyson is that it is very heavy to lug
around and a bit unwieldy.

Good luck with deciding Mary.

It's not actually for me. I was being a clever clogs with a friend when
she
talked about getting one and said I thought the folk round here didn't
like
them.

I've told her to read the thread.

Mary

What's she done to you?

Given me the bird ;-)

Mary

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mary Fisher

"Richard Faulkner" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

I have always sworn by Henrys, but after using a DC04 the other week, I
bought a Dyson Animal, (£224 from Tesco or Curry's website). Its the
dogs........... g

Having used the Henry, my cream carpet looked OK. Using the Dyson
afterwards, my cream carpet looked - well - cream.

Since my friend has five large dogs (but no crem carpet that I know of) she
might well be interested in this.

Are you 'arking, Jill?

Mary

--
Richard Faulkner

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Allan wrote:
We've still got a DC01. Had it for at least 10 years!

The thing I like is that you can easily order spare parts from the Dyson
site - isn't it so wholesome these days to be able to repair something
rather than buy a new one.

I've got a Panasonic which is about that age. Which? best buy then. All
it's ever needed is bags and belts. Oh - the 'headlight' died but that was
a waste of time anyway.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Alan Vann

Mary Fisher wrote:
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

The triumph of form over function, a bit like Bang & Olufsen (sp?) - Very
well designed and by that I mean the sort of design that makes other
designers go all gooey....

I've had a DC02 for 6ish years now. It hasn't broken yet, probably 'cos it
hasn't many moving parts, but it regularly annoys.....

Take the hose for instance. How would you usually pull a cylinder cleaner
around? Exactly, by the hose. Except that on this one, the hose connects to
the top of the machine, right over it's centre of gravity. Pull it sideways
and instead of steering round and following you, it falls over.......

.....and then there's the handle. Very curved and comfortable when using the
std floor brush, but just you try and use it with the small accessory brush.
The hose hits the floor before the brush is flat. It's no good for cars
either as you can't get the thing down flat enough (I usually put an old
Electrolux brush on )) Or the mains lead, which still curls up and twists
after all this time......

So why am I still using it? 'Cos it was expensive and I'm damn well going to
get my money's worth!

Alan

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:14:04 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

It all depends what you want to suck up with them, if you don't
have fine dence dust, you have a nifty hover.

Is anyone else puzzled about this reply?

Read Ricks following post, as soot and plaster dust are not explicity
excluded as suitable material for a Dyson to suck he is taking Dyson
to Trading Standards/Advertising Standards over the claim of "no loss
of suction"...

I wonder if he dries his pet dog in the microwave?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Geoff Beale

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:02:39 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Since my friend has five large dogs (but no crem carpet that I know of)
she might well be interested in this.

Well we have four dogs and a DC07 to replace our worn out 10year old DC01
(although it would probably have been repairable). Not a dog's hair to
be seen anywhere after five minutes with the Dyson except a half full
container on the vac each time it's used.
--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email
Mary Fisher

"Alan Vann" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Lovely post, thanks.

Mary

Alan

JM

Mary Fisher wrote:
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

I got a DC04 around 4 years ago (my mother has a DC04, and my MIL has a
DC01). As other people have said, you can vacuum a floor with your previous
cleaner and then use a Dyson and fill the cylinder in 5 minutes.

If I replace my DC04, it will most likely be with another Dyson. Probably
an upright model, though - I'm not so fond of cylinder cleaners.

John.

John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

I am told (reasonably reliably) there was a time that the "dustbuster"
was one of the primary causes of penile shaft injury in the uk! (has a
rotating fan blade not too far back from the spout)

You'd be surprised at what people do for cheap thrills. My father
had a friend who used to be an ambulance driver and they would
regularly take people into A&E with various bits of vacuum cleaners
and other domestic appliances attached to their nether regions.
Hoover Constellations were a favourite at one time AIUI; but there
were more mundane things like milk bottles, bits of pipe, you name it.

The above info came from a friend who was running a sideshow at a big
NHS conference... ISTR he said they also had a section on some of the
more unusual items found lodged places they were perhaps better off not
being. One that sticks in my mind (and elsewhere for others it seems)
was the procedure for removing a pint glass from a rectum! (tie a knot
in the end of a rope, and place in glass. Now fill with plaster of paris
and allow to set, pull on rope!). Same trick can be used for light bulbs
if you find the bayonet cap unexpectedly breaks away from the bulb.

The thought that occurred to me was that plaster of paris creates a
reasonably strong exothermic reaction while setting.... ;-) that should
teach `em.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:14:04 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

It all depends what you want to suck up with them, if you don't
have fine dence dust, you have a nifty hover.

Is anyone else puzzled about this reply?

Read Ricks following post, as soot and plaster dust are not explicity
excluded as suitable material for a Dyson to suck he is taking Dyson
to Trading Standards/Advertising Standards over the claim of "no loss
of suction"...

I wonder if he dries his pet dog in the microwave?

No, it was the dence dust and nifty hover I didn't understand ... :-(

Mary

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

IMM

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:42:06 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Look in any Curry's etc and see the huge display of spares. Very
commendable you might think, but then wonder why they are taking up
valuable retail floor space unless an excellent earner...

Or maybe Dyson operate like M$? You want to sell our machines you
carry this range of spares as well. At least I know that I can go into
virtually any white goods place and get a spare filter or belt for a
Dyson, the same can't be said for a lot of other makes.

There is also a hell of a lot of Dysons around. They are the biggest seller.

raden

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:14:04 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

It all depends what you want to suck up with them, if you don't
have fine dence dust, you have a nifty hover.

Is anyone else puzzled about this reply?

Read Ricks following post, as soot and plaster dust are not explicity
excluded as suitable material for a Dyson to suck he is taking Dyson
to Trading Standards/Advertising Standards over the claim of "no loss
of suction"...

Yeah, that's annoyed me too

It doesn't matter what machine you're using, an obstruction in the hose
is an obstruction in the hose

--
geoff

T i m

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:12:21 +0100, "JM" wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

I found them too noisy for their capacity.

I use a Henry for DIY stuff (eqially noisy but large bore hose and
capacity, no filters to have to stop to clean, I use bags with it) and
a Mele 'Big cat & dog' around the house (very quiet and durable).

I have repaired more DC03's for folk than any other make / model (that
could reflect that they are popular or unreliable (or both) g)

T i m
anthony james

Richard Faulkner wrote in message ...
What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

I can't seem to get the original post to reply to in Googlegroups so
this seems as good a place as any.

We had a Dyson for 3 or 4 years (one of the original cylinder models).
Suction excellent when clean and new but dropped off in the same way
as any other vac when the filter became clogged. Because effectively
there is only one filter for fine dust it becomes clogged quicker than
in a normal vac where the bag gets clogged first and stops too much
getting to the filter. This means that all of the internals of a
Dyson end up covered in filth.

If you live in a nice clean finished house they're probably great but
this is a DIY forum and they're not suited to DIY. As mentioned
elsewhere fine dust (plaster or wood) blocks the filters very quickly,
larger items get stuck in the hose.

My other big problem is that emptying them is unpleasant. You need to
do it outside as there will almost cetainly be dust flying everywhere
and some of it usually ends up on you. To keep the thing looking nice
you will want to clean out the dust bowl regularly which is a messy
job as well.

We replaced ours with a Miele cat and dog:
- More than enough suction that doesnt seem to drop significantly
until the bag is very nearly full
- easier to store,
- good tools including a beater/sweeper head
- adjustable power for furniture and curtains
- clean and quick to empty

I have always sworn by Henrys,

When we moved again last year we bought a Henry as a second vac to use
for all DIY jobs. For that it's brilliant and it gets thoroughly
abused. However, i find it completely unsatisfactory for cleaning
carpets - we finish a job, use Henry on it and then use the Miele to
actually get the area clean. Henry bags also have a tendency to tear.
Wouldnt be without Henry but theres no way i'd want it as the only
vac
John

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

Apart from the high cost, their reliability is poor.

That's a very "sweeping" statement Dave!

I'll chip in and say that we bought a DC01 in the early days, we've used
it ever since, and it has *never* broken down. We think it's great (and
it's quieter than our previous cleaners).

There are two great variables he

(1) People treat their possessions in different ways. (Note how many
people in here have said "I've never replaced the filters yet!")
To be sanctimonious for a moment (Rev. John speaking) I always aspire
to treating our expensive devices with the reverence due something
that's taken so much out of the earth (and of humanity) to create, so I
try to keep stuff like new. Please note the word "aspire" - I'm not
exactly 100% successful -- too feckn lazy.

(2) Dyson now have lots of different models, and it's pretty clear that
some are less successful than others.

cheers -- just off to polish me car.

j.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Or maybe Dyson operate like M$? You want to sell our machines you
carry this range of spares as well. At least I know that I can go into
virtually any white goods place and get a spare filter or belt for a
Dyson, the same can't be said for a lot of other makes.

There is also a hell of a lot of Dysons around. They are the biggest
seller.

I'd say it's not the norm for *any* vacuum cleaner to need anything other
than consumables throughout its life. The range of parts on a Dyson
display has to be there for a reason.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Baker

Subject: Dysons again
From: T i m
Date: 27/10/04 08:22 GMT Daylight Time

Mary Fisher wrote:
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

I found them too noisy for their capacity.

I've got a very old DC01. A friend of mine has a friend who gets old Dysons
from the local tip, repairs them (usually just the switch), makes sure they
have a full complement of tools and sells them on for beer money. I paid the
princely sum of £25 for mine which has the Hepa filter too.

It's very quiet so I can use it late at night if I want without worrying about
the neighbours on the other side of the semi, better at dealing with cat hairs
on the carpet than any other vacuum cleaner I've ever owned and seems to
perform just as well as a friends newish one which I used to borrow before I
got mine. I love how quick and easy it is to empty compared with all the old
bag models I've owned and how you can see just how much crap it's sucking out
of the carpet through the transparent container. It's the first vacuum I've
owned that actually makes me enjoy using it.

It's also the first vacuum I've owned that doesn't spark my mild asthma off
each time I have a big hoovering up session so I guess it really does trap
nearly all of the fine dust.

On the downside yes they are plasticky and a few minor bits tend to crack and
break but nothing that stops them working, or at least not yet on mine. Nails
and bits of wood can get stuck in the U tube underneath but it's a simple job
to get them out again. It's a bit unwieldy using the attachment hose,
especially up high on worktops because the solid pipe is too long and the
flexible hose tends to kink just where the two join but it's liveable with.

I'm too tight to pay £250 for one (or any other type of cleaner) which is why I
never got a new one in the past but it's the best £25 I ever spent. I'm sure
other bagless types perform just as well though now that everyone is making
cyclone types under license from Dyson.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 03:04:01 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

No, it was the dence dust and nifty hover I didn't understand ...
:-(

I'm not sure what the density of dust has to do with anything. I
think he meant Hoover, but as a Dyson is obviously not a Hoover ...

I must have been in a particulary good "read what they meant, not what
they wrote" mode last night. It didn't throw me at all.. B-)

On Dysons I think the great unwashed misinterpreted the advertising
"lots more suck" to mean "will remove pet hair". The only way to
remove pet hair is with an "beats, as it sweep, as it cleans" head of
some sort not just a few stationary bristles and suck. The first
cylinder Dysons didn't have such a head. Bad press/interpretation
sticks.

Curious that this thread seems to be generally positive, previous ones
have been pretty negative.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Brian Sharrock

"Geoff Beale" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:02:39 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Since my friend has five large dogs (but no crem carpet that I know of)
she might well be interested in this.

Well we have four dogs and a DC07 to replace our worn out 10year old DC01
(although it would probably have been repairable). Not a dog's hair to
be seen anywhere after five minutes with the Dyson except a half full
container on the vac each time it's used.

We recently replaced our DC01 with a new DC07 - I wish I'd
done it years ago! The DC01 we bought fairly soon after it
was introduced to the UK market.
As others have reported we too ditched a Hoover Junior for the
Dyson.
The lounge carpet had been vacuumed with the Hoover and
seemed clean but we switched the DC01 on 'just to try it'.
Thankfully, there were only immediate members of the family
in the room - the amount of dust that the DC01 discovered in
that carpet was embarrassing!

The DC01 was fairly difficult to clean; the dust bin had to be emptied
out and was a pain to ease off from the operating single cyclone head.
The newer DC07 is exceptionally easy to empty - so much so that it's
a chore that is executed almost each time the DC07 is utilised.
That click-off single-handed operation is almost worth the price
alone.
We also bought the turbo-head 'thingy' for stair-carpet
cleaning.

For workshop sucking - I use a Trend workshop vacumm -this
has a 13A outlet into which I plug the power tool I'm using.
The suck starts when the tool is switched ON - surprisingly,
that's shortly before the dust seems to appear- and remains
sucking for six seconds after the tool is switched OFF I did use
the Dyson DC01 for this purpose but found the 'Have I switched
the vacuum cleaner ON? - Must remember to switch the noise OFF'
routine just too hard.!

It's annoying that Dyson has moved his manufacturing to Malaysia(?).
It's ironic or something that he did this after he'd been lauded by
Tony Blair as an example of 'Cool Britannia; and the minimum wage,
paternity leave entitlements, changes to Employers-NIC rates etc.
were introduced. Not necessarily in that sequence.
Dyson has claimed (AIUI) that £20 of value must be added to
each £1 of materials to justify manufacturing in England -with
it's existing overburden, while only £5 of value is needed in
Malaysia(?). [Half-remembered article in a paper's Business section].

For normal domestic cleaning - to a very high standard coupled
with ease-of-use, I'd endorse a decision to acquire a Dyson - all-surface-
model.

--

Brian

S Viemeister

Dave Baker wrote:

I'm too tight to pay £250 for one (or any other type of cleaner) which is why I
never got a new one in the past but it's the best £25 I ever spent. I'm sure
other bagless types perform just as well though now that everyone is making
cyclone types under license from Dyson.

I was (and am) very happy with my DC01, but when I needed a cleaner for
another location, I bought a cheaper knockoff. BIG mistake. Brand new, and
it doesn't work half as well as my old Dyson, it's awkward to use, and a
pain to empty.

Sheila

Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

Curious that this thread seems to be generally positive, previous ones
have been pretty negative.

Yes, that was my memory, which is why I asked!

Mary

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message newsJKfd.105

[...]

Perhaps the time lapse and improvement in models is why the responses are
more positive than they have been in the past.

Thanks,

Mary

--

Brian

Dave Baker

From: "Brian Sharrock"
Date: 27/10/04 11:26 GMT Daylight Time

"Geoff Beale" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:02:39 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Since my friend has five large dogs (but no crem carpet that I know of)
she might well be interested in this.

Well we have four dogs and a DC07 to replace our worn out 10year old DC01
(although it would probably have been repairable). Not a dog's hair to
be seen anywhere after five minutes with the Dyson except a half full
container on the vac each time it's used.

We recently replaced our DC01 with a new DC07 - I wish I'd
done it years ago! The DC01 we bought fairly soon after it
was introduced to the UK market.
As others have reported we too ditched a Hoover Junior for the
Dyson.

As did I. Inherited an old HJ from my mum when she died, then another from my
gran when she died plus a Miele upright from a friend who was chucking it out.
None of the three would do more than slightly rearrange cat hairs on the
carpet, even with new brushes and belts, and the only way to get rid of them
was go round the whole house with trainers on dragging my feet across the
carpet and pulling the hairs into balls which I could then pick up. That took a
couple of hours and although quite good for the thigh muscles wasn't something
I felt inclined to do more than once in a blue moon.

The old DC01 shifts nearly every cat hair with no more than a couple of passes.
The amount of extra dust it found compared to the Hoover was frightening. For
the first few days of using it it pulled out bucket loads and then it finally
settled down to mainly just the fresh cat hairs each time. I had no idea I was
living on top of such a filthy dust packed carpet but it explains the years of
asthma after using the Hoover which I suspect did more to disturb the dust and
beat it up into the air than actually picking it up.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
AK

"Peter" wrote in message

Rubbish its because you can see the dust in the bin, when its in a bag you
are not aware because you cant see it they suck up just as much if not

more,
maybe yours blows back inside when u empty it in the dustbin.

Peter

Rubbish yourself! When I had a bagged vacuum cleaner I did not have to
empty the bag after each vacuum, in fact I onlt emptied it about once every
4 weeks, now I have to empy on each vacuum

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John wrote:
Apart from the high cost, their reliability is poor.

That's a very "sweeping" statement Dave!

I'm simply quoting other's findings. Statistics.

I'll chip in and say that we bought a DC01 in the early days, we've used
it ever since, and it has *never* broken down. We think it's great (and
it's quieter than our previous cleaners).

Obviously, reliability is based on the number of problems in a sample. It
would be a very poor maker where every one broke down. It might be that
only one in three gives problems while a better make is one out of ten.

However, as a straw poll, do a search on this group. You'll find dozens of
questions about fixing Dysons - with the same problems cropping up time
and time again. Not so with others. Now I know Dyson might be the most
popular, but not by this proportion.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Curious that this thread seems to be generally positive, previous ones
have been pretty negative.

I personally have an inbuilt reaction to something with is over hyped. Nor
can I work up much enthusiasm about a vacuum cleaner - despite me being
the one who uses it.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Stanley

The filters are there to protect the motor and I think to clean up the
outgoing air.

They are designed for normal household use not cleaning up after building
work. Used on soot and plaster of course the filters will block. Soot is
sticky as well as small particles. My old Hoover cylinder blocks very
quickly on fine powders so I use a brush and dustpan first.

Used for normal carpet and lino cleaning for which they were designed they
do not lose their suck and the filters will go on for at least three months
before they need washing.

Trading Standards comes out of my taxes. Please don't waste their time on
this. Use your Dyson within the spirit of its intended use and it will serve
you well. Get a hack vacuum cleaner out of the local paper for your DIY
cleanups.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message

Snip

A few days ago I wrote to Dyson via the "comments" section of there
website, regarding the "no loss of suction" claim, which is untrue. No
reply as of yet.

I will write to trading standards / advertising standars if I do not
get a staifatory reply.

They block if you hover up soot (open fire) or plaster dust (you are
in the building trade)

Rick

---

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Brian Sharrock wrote:
The lounge carpet had been vacuumed with the Hoover and
seemed clean but we switched the DC01 on 'just to try it'.
Thankfully, there were only immediate members of the family
in the room - the amount of dust that the DC01 discovered in
that carpet was embarrassing!

This is a common statement. But was the old Hoover in top condition - new
brushes, drive belt, bag etc? If not, it was hardly a fair test against a
new product.

Also, you can see the dust being lifted by a Dyson. Not so with a bag
type. So you'd need to weigh the amount for a true test.

I'm not saying it still wouldn't be better. Just that it's best to be a
bit scientific about things.

After all, a brand new Hoover might well have done the same against a worn
out Dyson.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Rick Dipper

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:17:32 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

I got this (below) from dyson today.

It imples that normal houeholds don't have open fires, nor do they
have residents that work in the building trade.

Rick

From: Darran Crook
To: '"
Subject: Dipper 31299
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:34:09 +0100

Dear Mr Dipper

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our vacuum cleaners are designed and tested for domestic usage only. We
would not recommend picking up quantities of plaster dust or soot as this
will cause the filters to clog prematurely and may cause further problems
with your cleaner.

Please be aware that vacuuming large quantities of fine dust such as
plaster
dust or soot may require you to wash the filters more often than the
recommended 3 months.

I hope that this information is useful to you and I can confirm that your
user guide contains details of the full blockage procedure.

Should you have any further queries please contact our Helpline on 08705
275 104, 8.00am to 8.00pm, seven days a week. Alternatively, please
reply
to for a speedy response. Using 'reply to sender'
may
result in a delayed response. For online Customer Service, please visit
www.dyson.co.uk http://www.dyson.co.uk/ and select 'Customer Service'.

Kind regards
Darran Crook
Customer Liaison

Rick Dipper

wrote:

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message

Crap.

OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

Mary

It all depends what you want to suck up with them, if you don't have
fine dence dust, you have a nifty hover.

Rick

Is anyone else puzzled about this reply?

Mary

See my post, which is a mesage from Dyson themselves. This later post
answers the "why are they crap" question.

Rick

Andy Hall

wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

I got this (below) from dyson today.

It imples that normal houeholds don't have open fires, nor do they
have residents that work in the building trade.

Rick

Well..... I guess that these days most don't.

Do you think that you would have had a different answer from any other
domestic cleaner manufacturer? I wouldn't include the wet/dry or
workshop types which are meant to be for heavier work.

If I had an open fire (I have in the past), I might expect the
domestic cleaner to deal with the general film of dust on and around
the hearth which accumulates daily, but not to participate in a full
blown chimney cleaning exercise.

Equally I might use the domestic cleaner to pick up dust from drilling
a few holes but not from the wholesale removal of plaster from a wall
during a day's DIY.

Obviously you *can* take the view that a Dyson or other domestic
cleaner should be able to cope with all this lot, but I'm less than
convinced that a trading standards officer would agree.

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:05:36 GMT, Rick Dipper wrote:

It imples that normal houeholds don't have open fires, nor do they
have residents that work in the building trade.

I should think that is correct, open fires are not common place in the
UKs housing stock, indeed many homes don't even have a chimney. It
does vary by area though, open fires are the norm in
Middleton-in-Teesdale as there is no mains gas there. There is mains
gas in Alston so most homes use that but open fires are still fairly
common. Overall though these places are small and won't make a
significant percentage of the total UK housing.

And what percentage of the population work in the building trade? The
odd bit of dust from putting up a shelf or two wouldn't be a problem
but using one as part of a whole house refurbishment is not what they
are intended for. If your requirement is for a commercial grade
cleaner buy a commercial grade cleaner and don't winge when your
expensive domestic one can't cut the mustard.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:03:36 +0100, AK wrote:

Rubbish yourself! When I had a bagged vacuum cleaner I did not have
to empty the bag after each vacuum, in fact I onlt emptied it about
once every 4 weeks, now I have to empy on each vacuum

True enough but the cannister of a Dyson doesn't hold that much and
it's not compacted like a bagged cleaner. How ever I still say they do
a better job.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:26:28 GMT, Brian Sharrock wrote:

For workshop sucking - I use a Trend workshop vacumm -this
has a 13A outlet into which I plug the power tool I'm using.
The suck starts when the tool is switched ON

I've got the cheapo Earlex jobbie with that feature. Does the business
and gets serious abuse. It does loose suction when the filter clogs up
though, take it outside and a good brush restores it's power. Not seen
replacement filters in the sheds, unlike Dyson spares...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail