Mary Fisher

Default Dysons again

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

Brian Reay

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Over rated. No, very over rated.

Flimsy, not worth the money.

In fact, I can't think of a single good feature.

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

Grunff

Mary Fisher wrote:
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Our DC01 (may God rest it's soul) was very good. It lasted a long time,
and took some very rough treatment.

Our DC05 (cylinder) has been the biggest pile of cr@p I've ever spent
£240 on.

If you want an upright, I can thoroughly recommend this:
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/361_198579.html
It's superb. Suction is better than any other vacuum we've ever had.
Dust bin is large. Filters are easy to clean. It's the closest I've ever
come to loving a vacuum cleaner.

--
Grunff
EricP

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:17:32 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

Crap.

Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Our DC01 (may God rest it's soul)

Dammit!! I can't believe I did that! Its. ITS.

--
Grunff

S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

Many times!

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

I like mine. It's an old one, but still works perfectly - better than any
other I've ever used.

Sheila

Mary Fisher

"Grunff" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:

Our DC01 (may God rest it's soul)

Dammit!! I can't believe I did that! Its. ITS.

To err is human, to forgive divine.

You have erred, I forgive you. Because you confessed!

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

Crap.

OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

Mary

Peter Andrews

wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

Crap.

OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

Mary

They go on about being bagless, but don't tell you that they still have
filters, albeit small ones, that get clogged and reduce the suction. At the
end of the day no better no worse than lots of other machines IMO.

Peter

Grunff

Mary Fisher wrote:

OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

DC05:

unwieldy

difficult to drag around

hose is horrible thin plastic that crushes really easily and has a mind
of its own

you *DO* lose suction, because the filter clogs easily

the brush-head is a really awful design

the coil retract doesn't

mine cost more than 3x that Panasonic, which outperforms it in every
respect.

--
Grunff

mrcheerful

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

DC01 was awkward with a big head.

DC03 has a slim head and works beautifully, only fault has been a faulty
lead which I fixed. The reality of seeing all the junk that is underfoot
and no recurring bag expense are the delights too.

I agree they can be flimsy compared with something more industrial but if
treated reasonably are fine.

Buy one from Costco, try it for a month, return if you don't like it.

mrcheerful

G.W. Walker

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

Crap.

OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

No idea why everyone is so down on them. I'm still
amazed with how good mine is. I've not had any problems
with blocked filters and it still manages to lift an
amazing amount of stuff out of a carpet.

Having looked at the various clones I'd still buy
another one.

G.

Bob Eager

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:44:28 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

Heavy. Not very reliable. Not even made in Britain any more. Not that
much better than a good conventional. Expensive.

(get a Henry or one of his brothers!)

--
The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and

Big Bill

wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

They suck!

BB

www.kruse.co.uk
The home of SEO that's shiny!
AK

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

I have had a DC04 for about 4-5 years and it's brilliant. I have only ever
bothered to clean the filters once in that time and it's never lost suction.
Those that complain about the filters may have the special "anti allergy"
models that have all sorts of special filters.

I would definitely buy one again, not that I need to. The only thing I
would say is that they make you paranoid about the amount of dust in your
house just from the amount it sucks up

John

"AK" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

If you are the type of person who treats such things with reasonable care
then I would say they are good.

If you want something to clean up after DIY and tend to be a bit clumsy with
things then avoid it.

We like ours - but I have still got and old Hoover Constellation (Remember
them - spherical) for DIY and the car - it lives in the garage and comes out
about 3 time a year for the nasty jobs.

John

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Peter

wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

Crap.

OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

Mary

Lifetime filters my arse

Peter

Colin Wilson

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Got a DC01 - no problems at all over several years, apart from one small
design flaw - the inlet to the main body of the vacuum under the head is
quite small and anything solid that`s larger than about a 5p piece may
block it. Its easy to get to, to remove though - 4 screws IIRC (just
remove the cover over the rotating brushes)

Oh, and we broke a belt on one once, when a sock got jammed around the
rotating brush. The filters don`t often get changed in our house - we
rinse them in a bowl and they`re fine for quite some time.

Chris Hodges

Mary Fisher wrote:
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

I've got a DC05 and like it. I can't get on with uprights (I'm too
tall). This one's lighter than most cylinders but has plenty of
suction. It's also easy to empty.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Peter

"AK" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

I have had a DC04 for about 4-5 years and it's brilliant. I have only

ever
bothered to clean the filters once in that time and it's never lost

suction.
Those that complain about the filters may have the special "anti allergy"
models that have all sorts of special filters.

I would definitely buy one again, not that I need to. The only thing I
would say is that they make you paranoid about the amount of dust in your
house just from the amount it sucks up

Rubbish its because you can see the dust in the bin, when its in a bag you
are not aware because you cant see it they suck up just as much if not more,
maybe yours blows back inside when u empty it in the dustbin.

Peter

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Look in any Curry's etc and see the huge display of spares. Very
commendable you might think, but then wonder why they are taking up
valuable retail floor space unless an excellent earner...

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

Apart from the high cost, their reliability is poor.

This isn't to say every single one breaks down regularly, but they are
nothing like as reliable as some others.

Depends on what you want. They work - the upright one at least - pretty
well. And you may like the looks. The once possible good reason for buying
- that they were made in this country and therefore provided work for your
fellows - no longer applies.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
AK wrote:
I would definitely buy one again, not that I need to. The only thing I
would say is that they make you paranoid about the amount of dust in your
house just from the amount it sucks up

Perhaps a machine with a bag which conceals that same dust from view is a
better bet, then?

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Stanley

We have had a Dyson DC01 cleaner for years. It is brilliant. Of course they
have filters. Anyone should be able to work that out. We use washable
filters and I clean them every time I empty it. Suction never fails.

My only small complaint is that the plastic used is a tad brittle.

I wouldn't change it.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

. uk...

wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Superb. Very reliable.

Graham

Allan

We've still got a DC01. Had it for at least 10 years!

The thing I like is that you can easily order spare parts from the Dyson
site - isn't it so wholesome these days to be able to repair something
rather than buy a new one.

Anyway - it's still going strong - apart from a wheel falling off at the
weekend - ah well, nothing a washer and some araldite won't fix ;o)

My wife is sitting chuckling next to me - I think she read wholesome as
"tight git"!!!

Allan,

wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Superb. Very reliable.

Graham

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Designed to sell, but not to work.

Mary

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

Crap.

OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

Because they are overpriced, don't actually work that well, and instead
of a bag clogging and getting binned, the motor filters clog, and need a
service engineer, or a new motor.

Unless you are very adept at stripping one down.

But adepts at stripping vacuum cleaners don't buy dysons. Women buy
dysons, because, like women, they are a triumph of form over function.

Designed to sell, but not to work :-)

Mary

Owain

"Peter" wrote
| Lifetime filters

Well, they last the lifetime of the filter don't they?

| ... my arse

Saves money on toilet paper I suppose.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Allan" wrote in message
.uk...
We've still got a DC01. Had it for at least 10 years!

The thing I like is that you can easily order spare parts from the Dyson
site - isn't it so wholesome these days to be able to repair something
rather than buy a new one.

Ah - that surprises me. I hd the feeling that in the past someone said you
couldn't fix them yourself.

Thanks for that.

Mary

wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Superb. Very reliable.

Graham

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:36:49 +0000 (UTC), Peter wrote:

Rubbish its because you can see the dust in the bin, when its in a
bag you are not aware because you cant see it they suck up just as
much if not more,

I disagree. When we got our DC04 about 4 or 5 years ago the main
living room carpet had just been done with a traditional bagged
machine. As it is with a new toy you play, so the living room carpet
got done again, the DC04 filled it's tank twice from that supposedly
clean carpet...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

S Viemeister

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I disagree. When we got our DC04 about 4 or 5 years ago the main
living room carpet had just been done with a traditional bagged
machine. As it is with a new toy you play, so the living room carpet
got done again, the DC04 filled it's tank twice from that supposedly
clean carpet...

When our DC01 arrived 7 years ago, I used it on the apparently clean living
room carpet. The tank filled up before I got a third of the way across the
room. Mostly dog hair, none of which had been visible on the surface. We
don't have dogs, but the previous residents did.

Sheila

Jayne

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Allan" wrote in message
.uk...
We've still got a DC01. Had it for at least 10 years!

The thing I like is that you can easily order spare parts from the Dyson
site - isn't it so wholesome these days to be able to repair something
rather than buy a new one.

Ah - that surprises me. I hd the feeling that in the past someone said you
couldn't fix them yourself.

Thanks for that.

Mary

The only thing I have against my Dyson is that it is very heavy to lug
around and a bit unwieldy.

Good luck with deciding Mary.

Jayne

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:42:06 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Look in any Curry's etc and see the huge display of spares. Very
commendable you might think, but then wonder why they are taking up
valuable retail floor space unless an excellent earner...

Or maybe Dyson operate like M$? You want to sell our machines you
carry this range of spares as well. At least I know that I can go into
virtually any white goods place and get a spare filter or belt for a
Dyson, the same can't be said for a lot of other makes.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Rick Dipper

wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

A few days ago I wrote to Dyson via the "comments" section of there
website, regarding the "no loss of suction" claim, which is untrue. No
reply as of yet.

I will write to trading standards / advertising standars if I do not
get a staifatory reply.

They block if you hover up soot (open fire) or plaster dust (you are
in the building trade)

Rick

Rick Dipper

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:44:28 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

Mary

Crap.

OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

Mary

It all depends what you want to suck up with them, if you don't have
fine dence dust, you have a nifty hover.

Rick

Philip

Mary Fisher wrote:

Designed to sell, but not to work.

I would disagree with this comment.
We use, private environment & not commercial, a dc01 that I bought 2ndhand
some years back, a dco3, 2x dc04 and a dc07. Also 3 x Vorwerks and a
wet/dry vax thing. Oh, and also a couple of Oreck vacuums.
IMO the Dysons are superb, running costs are minimal and Dysons' repair
service is excellent. I've only used the repair service twice in about 5
years. First time was a genuine warranty job and was fixed within 24 hours
by an engineer who visited us, 2nd time was a short while after SWMBO
bought the dc07 (late 2002) and it was not collecting as it should.
Engineer arrived armed with a clutch and other bits & bobs.
Quite soon this engineer found the problem to be a blocked, but washable,
filter.
The engineer washed the filter and the machine was, once again, as new.
Before you say it, I now know to RTFM.
I would add that on both engineers visits they have given all the dysons a
good going over at no more cost than a cuppa.. This has been quite
invaluable as they can be buggers to get apart but watching one with
experience has been a great help. Concealed fixings/fasteners etc.
We do own a lot of vacuums but each and every one is used at least once a
week.
Big place and a big family. Not a fitted carpet in the entire area.
Vorwerks are great but running costs are very high, also the more modern
versions are even less robust than those of a few years back. Overpriced
IMO but her indoors likes them. Terrific suction (twin motor) but bags are
horrendously expensive and parts/service equally so.
Vax thingy is good for specific tasks (not tried it wet) but noisy &
cumbersome.
Orecks are very light & powerful but noisy. Also uses bags.

I will remain loyal to Dyson until another manufacturer can offer their
reliability and quality of service/warranty.

I do think it a shame that the manufacture has been moved o'seas but that
is this Countries' problem, not Dysons.

Philip.

Gets off soap box to find hat & coat.

John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

Dust bin is large. Filters are easy to clean. It's the closest I've ever
come to loving a vacuum cleaner.

Apparently that is a recognised problem in A&E departments.... ;-)

I am told (reasonably reliably) there was a time that the "dustbuster"
was one of the primary causes of penile shaft injury in the uk! (has a
rotating fan blade not too far back from the spout)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

We have a DC01 Absolute. By far the best I have used on carpets,
especially pet hair etc. The actual amount of suction on the DC01 is not
that great though so performance via the hose is less impressive.

Used a friends DC14 Animal the other day - that was very impressive -
loads of suction and the active turbo brush thingy was very good for
stairs.

I would not recommend using one for clearing up after DIY though since
the air path is not big enough, although they make quite good extractors
for sawdust (plus you can make some interesting strata effects in the
waste bin buy changing timber types ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message

Crap.

OK, I get the consensus. But WHY are they crap?

Mary

It all depends what you want to suck up with them, if you don't have
fine dence dust, you have a nifty hover.

Rick

Is anyone else puzzled about this reply?

Mary