Dave Baker

Subject: Dysons again
From: T i m
Date: 27/10/04 08:22 GMT Daylight Time
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:12:21 +0100, "JM" wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?

I found them too noisy for their capacity.

I've got a very old DC01. A friend of mine has a friend who gets old Dysons
from the local tip, repairs them (usually just the switch), makes sure they
have a full complement of tools and sells them on for beer money. I paid the
princely sum of £25 for mine which has the Hepa filter too.

It's very quiet so I can use it late at night if I want without worrying about
the neighbours on the other side of the semi, better at dealing with cat hairs
on the carpet than any other vacuum cleaner I've ever owned and seems to
perform just as well as a friends newish one which I used to borrow before I
got mine. I love how quick and easy it is to empty compared with all the old
bag models I've owned and how you can see just how much crap it's sucking out
of the carpet through the transparent container. It's the first vacuum I've
owned that actually makes me enjoy using it.

It's also the first vacuum I've owned that doesn't spark my mild asthma off
each time I have a big hoovering up session so I guess it really does trap
nearly all of the fine dust.

On the downside yes they are plasticky and a few minor bits tend to crack and
break but nothing that stops them working, or at least not yet on mine. Nails
and bits of wood can get stuck in the U tube underneath but it's a simple job
to get them out again. It's a bit unwieldy using the attachment hose,
especially up high on worktops because the solid pipe is too long and the
flexible hose tends to kink just where the two join but it's liveable with.

I'm too tight to pay £250 for one (or any other type of cleaner) which is why I
never got a new one in the past but it's the best £25 I ever spent. I'm sure
other bagless types perform just as well though now that everyone is making
cyclone types under license from Dyson.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)