clara

Default fence post holes

I have a wall which is only about 1 ft high down the side of my garden, the
previous owner decided to fix the fence into the wall, which did not work
very well with the wind last weekend.

I have brought some concrete fence posts to put against the wall, but after
digging down about 18 inches I have came across what looks like the
foundations for the wall and can not get down any further.

I am thinking the best thing to do will be to try and chisel through it with
an sds drill? can anyone recomend where to buy a pretty long sds chisel bit
to use? or can anyone give me a better idea?

I will also need an sds drill, I doubt I will use it much, I have seen one
for £30 in argos, can anyone tell me if they are any good?

cheers, Stu

Harry Bloomfield

clara explained :
I will also need an sds drill, I doubt I will use it much, I have seen one
for £30 in argos, can anyone tell me if they are any good?

Aldi might still have some left at £24.99, there was just one left this
morning at my local.

I bought one and it seems quite able, though one of the complaints made
about the cheaper SDS drills is the fact that they are heavier than the
more expensive ones. I have tried it breaking up concrete and it seems
quite effective for the smaller jobs. There was a queue of builders
waiting to buy them when I went to collect one.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

John Stumbles

"clara" wrote in message
I have a wall which is only about 1 ft high down the side of my garden,

the
previous owner decided to fix the fence into the wall, which did not work
very well with the wind last weekend.

I have brought some concrete fence posts to put against the wall, but

after
digging down about 18 inches I have came across what looks like the
foundations for the wall and can not get down any further.

I am thinking the best thing to do will be to try and chisel through it

with
an sds drill? can anyone recomend where to buy a pretty long sds chisel

bit
to use? or can anyone give me a better idea?

I use my long SDS drill bits for chiselling sometimes.

Jerry Built

clara wrote:=20
I have a wall which is only about 1 ft high down the side of my
garden, the previous owner decided to fix the fence into the wall,
which did not work very well with the wind last weekend.=20
I have brought some concrete fence posts to put against the wall,
but after digging down about 18 inches I have came across what
looks like the foundations for the wall and can not get down any
further.
I am thinking the best thing to do will be to try and chisel
through it with an sds drill? can anyone recomend where to buy
a pretty long sds chisel bit to use? or can anyone give me a
better idea?=20

Do you need to keep the wall? If it's damaged it might be better to=20
get rid of it. How long are the fence posts you're putting in? 18"=20
may be enough depth.=20

I will also need an sds drill, I doubt I will use it much, I have
seen one for =A330 in argos, can anyone tell me if they are any
good?=20

Visit the tool hire section of your BM (Jewson etc). A concrete=20
breaker with appropriate chisels isn't dear to hire and will be=20
much much better than an SDS drill!=20

cheers, Stu=20

Stu?? Not "clara" ???? Eh?

J.B.
Stu

Do you need to keep the wall? If it's damaged it might be better to
get rid of it. How long are the fence posts you're putting in? 18"
may be enough depth.

the the wall is about 78ft long and goes down over 2ft towards end of
garden, so I think I will keep it.

they are concrete 8ft posts, from what I have read they need to be atleast
2ft down? although they are against the small wall, which should give some
extra support?

Visit the tool hire section of your BM (Jewson etc). A concrete
breaker with appropriate chisels isn't dear to hire and will be
much much better than an SDS drill!

ok thanx for that, I will check out my nearest hire shop.

cheers, Stu

Stu?? Not "clara" ???? Eh?

nah, it's Stu sorry, clara is the name of news server, I have changed it
now : )

Garden fence Terry D UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 11:15 AM
Results: renewing fence post for third time Peter Bull UK diy 3 January 23rd 04 02:06 PM
renewing fence post for the third time! Peter Bull UK diy 4 January 10th 04 02:54 PM
Welding holes in a chaincase - advice wanted [email protected] UK diy 5 July 15th 03 09:25 AM
Concrete Fence Posts - setting out Rick Hughes UK diy 4 July 11th 03 08:45 PM