Terry D

Default Garden fence

Two years ago I had a garden fence installed, consisting of 9 x 6' x 6'
lapped panels and 8 x 3" x 3" wooden posts, which were concreted in. A few
of the posts have been a little wobbly, but during the very high winds over
the weekend, the whole fence developed a pronounced list, with one post at
about 20 degrees off vertical. I made a strut from 3" x 3" to keep the post
vertical. This was successful and the fence survived.

What's the best method of correcting this situation? I assume I would have
to dig out around the offending posts and add extra concrete. Would it be
worth complaining to the supplier after two years?

Terry D.

Soup

Soup just had to say
Two years ago I had a garden fence installed, consisting of 9 x 6' x
6' lapped panels and 8 x 3" x 3" wooden posts, which were concreted
in. A few of the posts have been a little wobbly, but during the
very high winds over the weekend, the whole fence developed a
pronounced list, with one post at about 20 degrees off vertical. I
made a strut from 3" x 3" to keep the post vertical. This was
successful and the fence survived.

What's the best method of correcting this situation? I assume I
would have to dig out around the offending posts and add extra
concrete. Would it be worth complaining to the supplier after two
years?

Terry D.

Dig out the posts (a ****) and start anew, any movement of the
concrete will have compacted the ground around the original holes.

All items supplied must be fit for purpose, does two years use constitute
fitness for purpose ? Were the lapped panels your idea or the supplier ?
did you put this fence up yourself or was it put up by a contractor ? Have
a word with your CAB they will know better than me.As IANAL

Lapped fences are not really for any situation where wind may occur
(neighbour on one side of me, her fence has blown down twice, the
neigbour on the other side there fence is looking pretty 'ropey' both
these fences were of the lapped variety).neighbour "A" now has a
'ranch style' fence and because it lets 50% of the wind through it
'only' has 50% of the wind force acting on it any wind that goes through
the fence 'whirls' at the far side hence reducing the wind loading
even more and reducing 'draughts' to about those of a lapped fence.

YMMV and all the above may be a lot of tosh but I believe it.

--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \

Rick Dipper

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:25:48 -0000, "Terry D"
wrote:
Two years ago I had a garden fence installed, consisting of 9 x 6' x 6'
lapped panels and 8 x 3" x 3" wooden posts, which were concreted in. A few
of the posts have been a little wobbly, but during the very high winds over
the weekend, the whole fence developed a pronounced list, with one post at
about 20 degrees off vertical. I made a strut from 3" x 3" to keep the post
vertical. This was successful and the fence survived.

What's the best method of correcting this situation? I assume I would have
to dig out around the offending posts and add extra concrete. Would it be
worth complaining to the supplier after two years?

Terry D.

Dig em out, and refit with longer poasts further into the ground.

I would use concrete posts, and gravel boards, which stop the stuff rotting with
ground contact. You can get "feathercrete" which is *MUCH* lighter and therfore
much easier to install.

Rick

Garden fence posts Mortimer UK diy 8 February 6th 04 11:50 AM
type of bonding for garden and cavity extension walls Hal Styli UK diy 3 January 26th 04 05:31 PM
Results: renewing fence post for third time Peter Bull UK diy 3 January 23rd 04 02:06 PM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM
Private Sewers [Long and boring post!] Roger Mills UK diy 6 July 11th 03 04:18 PM