Peter Bull

Default renewing fence post for the third time!

A fence post has snapped again and needs renewing for the 3dr time.
I remember last time, I put soooo many bags of ready mix into the
hole. This time I recock I'll need a readymix truck. The post HAS
to go in the same place. Is there anything I can do other than
drilling out the old concrete and putting more in?

Colin Wilson

A fence post has snapped again and needs renewing for the 3dr time.

Is it a wooden or concrete post ?

We had "proper" treated wood buried in concrete when we first did our
fence about 10 years ago and had problems with rot and posts snapping
within about 6 years. Panels seemed more liable to popping out in high
winds, and when we found ourselves getting up at 3am as soon as the wind
started to blow to try to resecure it to keep our dogs in, we knew we had
to do something...

We replaced the entire fence with concrete posts and haven`t had a
problem since.

Clive Summerfield

"Peter Bull" wrote in message
A fence post has snapped again and needs renewing for the 3dr time.
I remember last time, I put soooo many bags of ready mix into the
hole. This time I recock I'll need a readymix truck. The post HAS
to go in the same place. Is there anything I can do other than
drilling out the old concrete and putting more in?

Try one of these repair fixings from Metpost
http://www.metpost.co.uk/repair.html. Or alternatively, remove the remains
of the old post and replace with a new post fixed using a bolt-down
http://www.metpost.co.uk/boltdown.html. Final alternative is to switch to
using concrete posts.

Cheers
Clive

BigWallop

"Peter Bull" wrote in message
A fence post has snapped again and needs renewing for the 3dr time.
I remember last time, I put soooo many bags of ready mix into the
hole. This time I recock I'll need a readymix truck. The post HAS
to go in the same place. Is there anything I can do other than
drilling out the old concrete and putting more in?

I bet it's an end post with wire fencing (?), and you're putting that much
strain on it that it keeps breaking. Try putting angled buttresses against
the side that the strain is pulling from and relieve some of the pressure on
the main post.

Best to dig it all out and break it up with a huge big hammer, then use it
again as a filler for a drop more cement (only cement) as a binder to hold
it all together.

But if you're straining a post that hard, then it's bound to keep breaking,
especially without extra support.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Simon Gardner

In article ,
Colin Wilson wrote:

We replaced the entire fence with concrete posts and haven`t had a
problem since.

We replaced our with concrete spurs - with the posts bolted well clear of
the ground onto those. Nice compromise of durability and appearance.