Old September 29th 04, 09:27 PM
Selwyn Froggitt

Default Double glazing boo-boo

Hi,

Bear with me on this one - I know I've made a mistake, I just want to know
what I can do to resolve it...

I've recently tried to get quotes for a replacement front door. I ended up
signing a contract with the first salesperson who came round (a very
reasonable quote).

However, since signing the contract we decided on a different style of door
(more expensive) and decided to see if we could get a cheaper quote
elsewhere.

Unfortunately, the second salesman who came round (from ColdSeal) also got
our signature on a contract for a front door. At the time the ColdSeal
salesman knew that we had already signed a contract with another firm but
made no indication that we'd have difficulty in cancelling.

I'm currently in the process of trying to cancel the ColdSeal contract. It's
still within seven days of signing but I appreciate there are legal
technicalities involved as the salespeople were invited round, etc.

In both cases a deposit has been paid (along with an additional 30
insurance with ColdSeal) but no surveyors have visited.

Does anyone have any experience as to how difficult will it be to cancel the
ColdSeal contract?

What is my legal position regarding cancellation? Can I walk away from the
contract losing no more than the deposit (and their 'insurance')?

Thanks.

Old September 29th 04, 10:25 PM
Michael Mcneil

"Selwyn Froggitt" wrote in message

What is my legal position regarding cancellation? Can I walk away from the
contract losing no more than the deposit (and their 'insurance')?

Forgive my lack of sympathy but you have not asked for any.

This is a diy group. Legal techs can be found at groups with the word
"legal" in them.

Old September 29th 04, 10:30 PM
Selwyn Froggitt

Michael Mcneil wrote:

Forgive my lack of sympathy but you have not asked for any.

This is a diy group. Legal techs can be found at groups with the word
"legal" in them.

I am not asking for sympathy.

It is more likely that people in the DIY group would have experience of
working with double glazing companies than the legal group would.

You may have noticed that I used the word 'legal' once, whereas the whole
tone of the posting related to general home improvement.
Old September 29th 04, 11:44 PM
Peter Parry

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:27:19 +0100, Selwyn Froggitt
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience as to how difficult will it be to cancel the
ColdSeal contract?

About as easy as wrestling a hungry alligator in a bath of chicken
soup. DG companies have a high proportion of customers trying to
cancel the next day and are expert at making sure the don't.

What is my legal position regarding cancellation?

Do you need a new back door by any chance?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old September 29th 04, 11:49 PM
John

Selwyn Froggitt wrote:
Michael Mcneil wrote:

Forgive my lack of sympathy but you have not asked for any.

This is a diy group. Legal techs can be found at groups with the word
"legal" in them.

I am not asking for sympathy.

It is more likely that people in the DIY group would have experience
of working with double glazing companies than the legal group would.

You may have noticed that I used the word 'legal' once, whereas the
whole tone of the posting related to general home improvement.

That said the question you are asking is of a legal nature not a DIY (or
home improvement) one!

John

Old September 30th 04, 12:05 AM
Andy Hall

wrote:

What is my legal position regarding cancellation? Can I walk away from the
contract losing no more than the deposit (and their 'insurance')?

Thanks.

Did you pay the deposit by credit card, or use other financing for the
purchase?

Check with your card company, but it's possible that you could have a
cooling off period of a few days - it may depend on the circumstances.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Old September 30th 04, 03:26 AM
Jan Wysocki

In article lgate.org, Michael Mcneil wrote:
"Selwyn Froggitt" wrote in message

What is my legal position regarding cancellation? Can I walk away from the
contract losing no more than the deposit (and their 'insurance')?

Forgive my lack of sympathy but you have not asked for any.

This is a diy group. Legal techs can be found at groups with the word
"legal" in them.

A little observation would show that this NG is very tolerant of non-d-i-y.
postings. If you don't want to know about topics such as
using estate agents, contractors, buying dishwashers, then there are several
options open to you. Your last sentence is a reasonable response. As for
the rest, why wind up an OP who already feels in enough of a jam?

I've just taken a look at the advice on the CAB website and find
it highly ambiguous. (http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nm/buy...e_doorstep.pdf)
On the one hand it says:
"You do not have the right to cancel certain agreements where
you contacted the seller and asked them to visit you"

On the other, a little further in the same paragraph it says:
"the right to cancel does include agreements for home repairs and
improvements, such as fitting double glazing"

uk.legal might be useful, but I'd guess that a call to Trading
Standards or CAB would give you a swift definitive answer.
(CAB = Citizens Advice Bureau)

--
Jan
Old September 30th 04, 11:22 AM
The Natural Philosopher

Selwyn Froggitt wrote:

[...]

Effectively tyes. They can sue you for loss and damages, but the cost of
doing it will be monumental, and the judge will throw it out anyway,
because you do not get fined for breaching a contract, but for the
consequential losses that result.

It wold be oimpossible to prove that they had suffered more than the
loss of the salemans time, inless they had already made the units up and
scheduled teh work...again very very hard to prove.

Tell them to sue and be damned. You will lose the deposit and hear no
more about it.

Thanks.

Old September 30th 04, 03:17 PM
Stanley

Please note I AM NOT A LAWYER AND HAVE NO QUALIFICATIONS IN THE AREA.

I successfully cancelled a kitchen that was sold me under pressure and they
sent back my deposit.

1.Read your contract carefully and find the clause that gives probably both
sides the option to cancel within X days and or the clause giving you the
right to cancel within 7 day cooling off period.

2.Phone them and tell them that you intend to cancel. Note name of person
you speak to.

3. Write to them refering to phone call and stating that you are excercising
your contractual right to cancel the contract without penalty in accordance
with clause(s) Y(Z). Tell them to send a refund of payments to your address.
Quote their reference or contract No. If you can send them a photocopy of
the contract paper it would do no harm but don't let this hold you up.

4. Send the letter to them recorded delivery.

5. Send a copy first class post in case the other gets lost. Use a
different post box.

5a) Keep a copy.

6. Cross your fingers.

7. Don't delay, do it today.

This worked when I did it. Please note I AM NOT A LAWYER AND HAVE NO
QUALIFICATIONS IN THE AREA.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"Selwyn Froggitt" wrote - snip snip snip

Does anyone have any experience as to how difficult will it be to cancel

the
ColdSeal contract?

What is my legal position regarding cancellation? Can I walk away from the
contract losing no more than the deposit (and their 'insurance')?

Thanks.

---

Old September 30th 04, 04:46 PM
Alan

[...]

Coldsteal? Getting it cancelled is best as if their rubbish gets installed
you'll wish you had later.
Still not happy with my Coldsteal doors installed a few years ago and their
10 year guarentee isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Double Glazing and noise efficiency Connor T UK diy 13 September 5th 04 12:29 AM
Double Glazing Units.... sealing of? mark b UK diy 2 August 11th 04 08:43 PM
load bearing double glazing TP UK diy 6 July 4th 04 12:00 PM
Installing Your Own Double Glazing SuzySue UK diy 22 February 2nd 04 09:21 AM
modern double glazing and heat/radiation The Natural Philosopher UK diy 2 August 12th 03 02:22 AM