Connor T

Default Double Glazing and noise efficiency

Hi,

I live quite near a main road which has heavy lorries going past, so it's
quite noisy.

I have pvc single glazing at the moment, my question is would double glazing
make things silent? Could i get away with just doing the front windows of
the house?

Are there any sites where i can enter rough window measurements so I can get
an idea of cost? Is it a feasible diy job? i suspect not?

Thanks!
Dan

John Smith

"Connor T" wrote in message
Hi,

I live quite near a main road which has heavy lorries going past, so it's
quite noisy.

I have pvc single glazing at the moment, my question is would double

glazing
make things silent? Could i get away with just doing the front windows of
the house?

Are there any sites where i can enter rough window measurements so I can

get
an idea of cost? Is it a feasible diy job? i suspect not?

Thanks!
Dan

I live a road which, as I have a school at one end, is busy at certain tmes
of the day. I have double glazing in the front of my house from a small
local firm and we noticed a huge difference in noise reduction when we went
from out rotten old wooden - 100 years old - to having double glazing. You
can certainly notice a difference when we open the windows.

However, neighbours who have had double glazing put in from other firms -
some national chains - complain that the hoped for noise reduction never
happened. This appears to be simply down to the simple difference in BOTH
the glazing and the plastic UPVC frames. So, this is something I think
people should seriously consider when they are looking at having double
glazing put in.

My only regret is that I did not know of, and hence did not consider, tripe
glazing and/or thicker glazing when I was shopping around. Obviously, this
costs more but can be beneficial. I believe you can also get glazing now
that 'reflects' noise.

Remember, noise comes through the frames AND the walls also as well as the
glazing.

Hope this helps,

John.

Michael Mcneil

"John Smith" wrote in message

Remember, noise comes through the frames AND the walls also as well as the
glazing.
Hope this helps,

It would have helped more than tripe glazing would have if you'd got the
double glazing in a wooden window. That way you can have them a nice
tight fit. Any problem and you just plane a strip off.

Lasts decades too. Plastic is a good heat conductor when you remember
that the air in the cavities is swirling aound in there carrying in
sound and out heat. That's the dry stuff. If it gets wet, forget it.

Doesn't rot though I will admit. Just looks bloody awful and worse if
you paint it. So you are either stuck with the original choice of colour
and carbon stains or the original colour and a bloody good washing every
month or so.

Chris Hodges

John Smith wrote:
I live a road which, as I have a school at one end, is busy at certain tmes
of the day. I have double glazing in the front of my house from a small
local firm and we noticed a huge difference in noise reduction when we went
from out rotten old wooden - 100 years old - to having double glazing. You
can certainly notice a difference when we open the windows.

The quality of the seal can make a big difference as well. If the noise
is after dark then heavy lined curtains may also help. However without
spending a fortune the best you can hope for is a reduction in the noise
- and of course if you need to windows open for ventilation in the
summer there's no benefit at all.

--
Chris
-----

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Connor T wrote:
I have pvc single glazing at the moment, my question is would double
glazing make things silent?

No. Conventional double glazing will reduce the noise, but not by much. To
get a meaningful reduction you need secondary glazing spaced away from the
main windows by as much as is practical. And the thicker the glass on the
secondary glazing, the better.

Could i get away with just doing the front windows of
the house?

It depends how much noise comes in through the front as opposed to the
back. Does opening a rear window at the moment make things worse?

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Smith wrote:
I live a road which, as I have a school at one end, is busy at certain
tmes of the day. I have double glazing in the front of my house from a
small local firm and we noticed a huge difference in noise reduction
when we went from out rotten old wooden - 100 years old - to having
double glazing. You can certainly notice a difference when we open the
windows.

Most of that difference is probably down to the windows fitting better and
sealing out draughts - therefore noise as well - as the glazing itself.

--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Owain

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
| Connor T wrote:
| I have pvc single glazing at the moment, my question is would
| double glazing make things silent?
| No. Conventional double glazing will reduce the noise, but not
| by much. To get a meaningful reduction you need secondary glazing
| spaced away from the main windows by as much as is practical.
| And the thicker the glass on the secondary glazing, the better.

It will help if the original glazing is solid and well-fitting, as well as
using accoustic tile in the reveals. Some suggest that having different
thicknesses of glass help.

The pub across the road from me has replaced its single-glazed glass with
d/g sealed units in the existing frames, fitted an additional single glass
to the outside of the windows with beading, and fitted a secondary glazing
system about a ft inside the windows. The aim in this case was to stop music
noise getting out. Now if they would only keep the door shut ...

It is also useful to look carefully at things like air bricks into the
underfloor void, and lobbying the front door.

Owain

Connor T

No. Conventional double glazing will reduce the noise, but not by much. To
get a meaningful reduction you need secondary glazing spaced away from the
main windows by as much as is practical. And the thicker the glass on the
secondary glazing, the better.

Could i get away with just doing the front windows of
the house?

It depends how much noise comes in through the front as opposed to the
back. Does opening a rear window at the moment make things worse?

Ok thanks for all the advice, and thats a good point about the rear window!
I'll consider some heavy curtains, but as i'm moving soon and the double
glazing isnt
likely to add value ( because it's already pvc anyway ) so i think i'll
leave it.
Was worth finding out though! Thanks!

Peter Parry

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 10:52:56 GMT, "Connor T"
wrote:

I have pvc single glazing at the moment, my question is would double glazing
make things silent?

No. For best sound insulation you need to do two things. The first,
and must important, is to seal all air gaps on the windows and walls
facing the road. If you have old wood floorboards you might also
need to seal air bricks at the front and make alternate/increased
ventilation at the rear.

Sealing air gaps means checking all the windows have good seals and
that they work. Even with single glazing closing the windows should
make a noticeable difference to noise. If it doesn't there are gaps.
Don't forget to make sure the front door, if it faces the traffic is
also a good seal.

If sealing everything doesn't produce enough attenuation the second
step is to fit double glazing optimised for noise reduction. This
means a 3 inch gap between the panes not the 1/4-1/2 inch which is
best for heat retention.

I would strongly recommend that you avoid the tripe glazing advocated
by others. It is very difficult to see through and starts to smell
after as little as one day in the sun.

Could i get away with just doing the front windows of
the house?

How noisy is it outside at the back?

Is it a feasible diy job? i suspect not?

Secondary glazing to give a 3" air gap is quite a practical DIY job.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Arty Flinders

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 11:29:52 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

snip
My only regret is that I did not know of, and hence did not consider, tripe
glazing

snip
Some people consider this as a possibility but not everyone has the
stomach for it.

--
Arty

"Mindless violence causes computer games."
A. Flinders

Nozza

wrote:

Hi,

I live quite near a main road which has heavy lorries going past, so it's
quite noisy.

I have pvc single glazing at the moment, my question is would double glazing
make things silent? Could i get away with just doing the front windows of
the house?

Are there any sites where i can enter rough window measurements so I can get
an idea of cost? Is it a feasible diy job? i suspect not?

Thanks!
Dan

Our house overlooks a main road. The upstairs rooms have double
glazed units, with additional secondary double glazing. There is a
10cm gap between the double glazed units and the secondary double
glazing. It is very effective. It works much better than just the
double glazing downstairs.

Upstairs I never hear anything from the road
Downstairs I hear the thump-thump of car stereos, but not lorries

HTH

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)

Ian Stirling

Arty Flinders wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 11:29:52 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

snip
My only regret is that I did not know of, and hence did not consider, tripe
glazing

snip
Some people consider this as a possibility but not everyone has the
stomach for it.

It does give good illumination with all the lights though.
Andy Hall

On 04 Sep 2004 20:07:58 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Arty Flinders wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 11:29:52 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

snip
My only regret is that I did not know of, and hence did not consider, tripe
glazing

snip
Some people consider this as a possibility but not everyone has the
stomach for it.

It does give good illumination with all the lights though.

That was offal.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
nightjar

"Connor T" wrote in message
Hi,

I live quite near a main road which has heavy lorries going past, so it's
quite noisy.

I have pvc single glazing at the moment, my question is would double

glazing
make things silent?

Oridnary double glazing will only have a minimal effect. For sound
insulation, you need secondary double glazing - effectively a second window
separated from the main window by a gap of about 100mm. For the very best
results, the glass in each window should be of different weights and the two
windows should be at a slight angle to each other, although both those are
relatively less important than the big air gap between the panes. The most
important point though is that both windows must be very well draught
proofed.

Could i get away with just doing the front windows of
the house?

Try it and see. To some extent it will depend on how quiet you want it to
become. However, do make sure that the other doors and windows in the house
are also well draught proofed. Small air gaps can render even the most
comprehensive soundproofing quite ineffective.

Colin Bignell