John Smith

"Connor T" wrote in message
Hi,

I live quite near a main road which has heavy lorries going past, so it's
quite noisy.

I have pvc single glazing at the moment, my question is would double

glazing
make things silent? Could i get away with just doing the front windows of
the house?

Are there any sites where i can enter rough window measurements so I can

get
an idea of cost? Is it a feasible diy job? i suspect not?

Thanks!
Dan

I live a road which, as I have a school at one end, is busy at certain tmes
of the day. I have double glazing in the front of my house from a small
local firm and we noticed a huge difference in noise reduction when we went
from out rotten old wooden - 100 years old - to having double glazing. You
can certainly notice a difference when we open the windows.

However, neighbours who have had double glazing put in from other firms -
some national chains - complain that the hoped for noise reduction never
happened. This appears to be simply down to the simple difference in BOTH
the glazing and the plastic UPVC frames. So, this is something I think
people should seriously consider when they are looking at having double
glazing put in.

My only regret is that I did not know of, and hence did not consider, tripe
glazing and/or thicker glazing when I was shopping around. Obviously, this
costs more but can be beneficial. I believe you can also get glazing now
that 'reflects' noise.

Remember, noise comes through the frames AND the walls also as well as the
glazing.

Hope this helps,

John.