nightjar

"Connor T" wrote in message
Hi,

I live quite near a main road which has heavy lorries going past, so it's
quite noisy.

I have pvc single glazing at the moment, my question is would double

glazing
make things silent?

Oridnary double glazing will only have a minimal effect. For sound
insulation, you need secondary double glazing - effectively a second window
separated from the main window by a gap of about 100mm. For the very best
results, the glass in each window should be of different weights and the two
windows should be at a slight angle to each other, although both those are
relatively less important than the big air gap between the panes. The most
important point though is that both windows must be very well draught
proofed.

Could i get away with just doing the front windows of
the house?

Try it and see. To some extent it will depend on how quiet you want it to
become. However, do make sure that the other doors and windows in the house
are also well draught proofed. Small air gaps can render even the most
comprehensive soundproofing quite ineffective.

Colin Bignell