Rick Dipper

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:27:19 +0100, Selwyn Froggitt
wrote:

Hi,

Bear with me on this one - I know I've made a mistake, I just want to know
what I can do to resolve it...

I've recently tried to get quotes for a replacement front door. I ended up
signing a contract with the first salesperson who came round (a very
reasonable quote).

However, since signing the contract we decided on a different style of door
(more expensive) and decided to see if we could get a cheaper quote
elsewhere.

Unfortunately, the second salesman who came round (from ColdSeal) also got
our signature on a contract for a front door. At the time the ColdSeal
salesman knew that we had already signed a contract with another firm but
made no indication that we'd have difficulty in cancelling.

I'm currently in the process of trying to cancel the ColdSeal contract. It's
still within seven days of signing but I appreciate there are legal
technicalities involved as the salespeople were invited round, etc.

In both cases a deposit has been paid (along with an additional £30
insurance with ColdSeal) but no surveyors have visited.

Does anyone have any experience as to how difficult will it be to cancel the
ColdSeal contract?

What is my legal position regarding cancellation? Can I walk away from the
contract losing no more than the deposit (and their 'insurance')?

Thanks.

You have a "cooling off" period if you sign in your house when they
visit. so cancel, in writing, quickly.

Rick