IMM

Default IP adressing stinks

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message

I just can't see the point of posting without checking your facts first
or am I missing something

Yes. You are missing life in general.

Mike Tomlinson

Default IP adresses

In article , IMM
writes

You are a troll. That is clear. This ng has been inundated with them. You
are all a total pest.

Odd how you've gone quiet all of a sudden on uk.rec.cars.maintenance,
isn't it? Wonder why that should be?

--
A. Top posters.
IMM

Default Cataclean

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

a total nuisance.

mouse

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
Looking at his postings, he has a dynamic address (supplied by a
Energis/PlanetOnline pop) that changes frequently. However, postings
at similar times have identical IP addresses caused by the fact that
the modem doesn't change IP address when still connected.

You are nuts.

I've got it! You've got a twin brother/sister who shares your computer?

Christian.

He talks just like my 15 year old son, just check he's not IMM, No he's more
intelligent

mouse

IMM

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

You are a troll. That is clear. This ng has been inundated with them.

You
are all a total pest.

Odd how

Please go back to the Yorkshire new groups please, and leave us alone. Now
run along.

Christian McArdle

Odd how you've gone quiet all of a sudden on uk.rec.cars.maintenance,
isn't it? Wonder why that should be?

I don't think a certain Mr News will be posting for a little bit. Not until
a certain modem accidentally drops its connection, anyway!

Christian.

IMM

"mouse" mouse @nospam .net wrote in message

He talks just like my 15 year old son, just check he's not IMM, No he's

more
intelligent

This place is full of trolls!! This loon has contributed sweet zilch to
this ng then stars insults. Go back to your Yorkshire new groups please. I
thought I kill filed most of them.

Nick Brooks

IMM wrote:
"Nick Brooks" wrote in message

I just can't see the point of posting without checking your facts first
or am I missing something

Yes. You are missing life in general.

You seem to have accidentally snipped the important part of the previous
post - the bit that pointed out that you'd made an error of fact

I'm sure you'll want to take this opportunity to post a correction

Nick
RichardS

"IMM" wrote in message

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Your ignorance of computing abounds. IP address are dynamic and that of

the
local ISP, not individual machines. So many people could have the same

IP
address at many times. Duh!

Not actually true.

ISPs with dial up users will typically, but not necessarily have a
dynamic address pool for those users. They may also assign dynamic
addresses for the cheaper DSL packages.

I can appreciate that that is possibly what you have.

The more expensive "broadband" packages allocate the customer one
static IP address and may on request provide a larger block if needed.

No ISP allocates one IP address to one individual user, unless it is a

large
user. IP addresses are scarce, very scare. One of the big problems of

TC/IP
is that the addressing stinks, although this is being worked on.

Utter bollox.

I've got an allocation of 13 static addresses.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

IMM

IMM wrote:
"Nick Brooks" wrote in message

I just can't see the point of posting without checking your facts first
or am I missing something

Yes. You are missing life in general.

You seem to have accidentally snipped the important part of the previous
post - the bit that pointed out that you'd made an error of fact

I'm sure you'll want to take this opportunity to post a correction

My life is correct. Why post to say it is not? Have you tried therapy?

Grouch

IMM wrote:
|| "Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
|| people are a total nuisance.

Are you with Energis UK.?
--
Grouch

What lives at the bottom of the canal and can reach a speed of 100
Miles an Hour. "A motorPike and sideCarp".

Christian McArdle

No ISP allocates one IP address to one individual user, unless it is
a large user.

Wrong. Look at Demon user IP allocations. If you know how to, that is.

Wrong.

Eh? It practically the whole point of being with demon was having a static
IP address. It used to cause them no end of problems with their internal
routing, as the same IP address could be served from any of their pops
depending on which phone number you dialed. With a dynamic setup, they could
have had an dynamic IP bank for each pop and pretty much static routes, but
enough people wanted static IP for them to persist.

I used to run all sorts on my old Linux box in the good old days. Being able
to UNIX chat with people at the house when I was sitting at uni was pretty
good, as was being able to push upload files to the home computer. I
wouldn't dream of leaving ports like that open these days. It was pretty
hairy then, in those pre-ipchains days.

Christian.

Apparently on date Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:30:29 -0000, Pete Smith
said:

In article ,
says...
In article , News
writes

Do you know my neighbour?

No, but I know who you are. You're the trolling ****wit who posts as
"IMM" in uk.d-i-y. Apart from having an identical posting style,
displaying a complete lack of clue, showing a breathtaking level of
arrogance, etc., you're both posting from the same computer:

How did you manage to track this down?

I didn't think google was too hot on searching headers of news postings.

Google isn't important.

If you are using standard mail readers, the information is just in the headers
for all to see. If you use something like Outlook Express, it doesn't cover
this stuff so you can't see it.

I'm on Agent, and you can download that for free from www.forteinc.com if you
want to see how it all works. In Agent, to track down the information, you just
press the "h" key to turn the headers on and off. It's probably similar in many
other news readers.

The (common) headers in the CrapaClean poster's posts, look like this:

From: "News"
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Nick Brooks

IMM wrote:

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message

I just can't see the point of posting without checking your facts first
or am I missing something

Yes. You are missing life in general.

You seem to have accidentally snipped the important part of the previous
post - the bit that pointed out that you'd made an error of fact

I'm sure you'll want to take this opportunity to post a correction

My life is correct. Why post to say it is not? Have you tried therapy?

It's no fun if you don't play the game. I didn't say your life wasn't
correct I said your facts weren't correct and now I'm going to sulk

No, I haven't tried therapy, what's it like?

Nick
Christian McArdle

DHCP is a hideous hack invented and perpetrated by SmallNFloppy because
their "operating systems" are so pants. TCP/IP was never intended
to operate thus.

I don't know. I like DHCP. It means people can plug their computers into my
network without problems. It also means my router finds out when ntl change
their DNS servers, again. You can set up DHCP with fixed IP address/MAC
mapping, too.

When you don't really care what addresses are used, DHCP is excellent. I
just remember in the old days, the problems you got on the network when the
dreaded "duplicate IP address detected" message came up, due to attempts to
maintain static IP. With judicious use of ARP, you could find out the MAC
address of the offender. Then you could look it up, to find the computer was
registered to someone who left the company 6 months ago, and then try to
think who would have inherited the machine. With DHCP, this isn't as likely
(malicious intend excepted), even with static addresses, as the DHCP server
will only allow the IP address to be mapped to a MAC address once.

Christian.

Mike Tomlinson

In article , IMM
writes

This place is full of trolls!!

You should know...

This loon has contributed sweet zilch to
this ng then stars insults. Go back to your Yorkshire new groups please.

Nice try at wriggling out of your situation by pretending that the
people replying to you in this thread are the uk.local.yorkshire trolls.
Unfortunately, it won't wash. Noticed how many of them are uk.d-i-y
regulars?

thought I kill filed most of them.

You probably know as much about killfiles as you do about IP addresses.

--
A. Top posters.
RichardS

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
Odd how you've gone quiet all of a sudden on uk.rec.cars.maintenance,
isn't it? Wonder why that should be?

I don't think a certain Mr News will be posting for a little bit. Not

until
a certain modem accidentally drops its connection, anyway!

Christian.

Pity. Thoroughly enjoyable read, that thread. All the hallmarks of classic
IMM:

*** snip rubbish ***; ad hominem; Mrs T.; snake-oil product with dubious
lab accreditation; copy&paste; you name it...

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

IMM

Default Trolls

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
news
In article , IMM
writes

This place is full of trolls!!

You should know...

I do. I read what you write.

mouse

"IMM" wrote in message

"mouse" mouse @nospam .net wrote in message

He talks just like my 15 year old son, just check he's not IMM, No he's

more
intelligent

This place is full of trolls!! This loon has contributed sweet zilch to
this ng then stars insults. Go back to your Yorkshire new groups please.

thought I kill filed most of them.

Got the first sentence right, so **** off back from whence you came, rest is
total b*llocks as usual.
mouse

IMM

IMM wrote:

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message

I just can't see the point of posting without checking your facts

first
or am I missing something

Yes. You are missing life in general.

You seem to have accidentally snipped the important part of the previous
post - the bit that pointed out that you'd made an error of fact

I'm sure you'll want to take this opportunity to post a correction

My life is correct. Why post to say it is not? Have you tried therapy?

It's no fun if you don't play the game. I didn't say your life wasn't
correct I said your facts weren't correct and now I'm going to sulk

Try. alt.troll.sulk

No, I haven't tried therapy, what's it like?

Ask Andy, he must have tried it as he is much better these days.

IMM

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
.. .
"IMM" wrote in message

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

You would have to give a reason and request them.

IMM

"Grouch" wrote in message
IMM wrote:
|| "Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
|| people are a total nuisance.

Are you with Energis UK.?

Why? Do you want my credit card details too.

IMM

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
news
In article , IMM
writes

This place is full of trolls!!

I'm going for the mo'. I've such fun with you trolls today. Back later.

Grouch

IMM wrote:
||| Are you with Energis UK.?
|| Why? Do you want my credit card details too.

Nope! your in the Red anyway. Amazing how people get sucked into a
Flamewars. Bye. rofl
--
Grouch

What lives at the bottom of the canal and can reach a speed of 100
Miles an Hour. "A motorPike and sideCarp".

Andy Hall

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:01:47 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

Your ignorance of computing abounds. IP address are dynamic and that of

the
local ISP, not individual machines. So many people could have the same IP
address at many times. Duh!

Not actually true.

ISPs with dial up users will typically, but not necessarily have a
dynamic address pool for those users. They may also assign dynamic
addresses for the cheaper DSL packages.

I can appreciate that that is possibly what you have.

The more expensive "broadband" packages allocate the customer one
static IP address and may on request provide a larger block if needed.

No ISP allocates one IP address to one individual user, unless it is a large
user.

Nonsense. Take a look at any of the sites with lists of DSL ISPs and
you will find that virtually all of them offer a package with one or
more static IP addresses.

IP addresses are scarce, very scare.

No they are not. They are being managed and allocated by regional
and local internet registries and there is no shortage for legitimate
use.

One of the big problems of TC/IP
is that the addressing stinks, although this is being worked on.

It's a non-issue. In the short to medium term, there is plenty of
IPV4 space as a result of CIDR, address allocation by registries and
the use of private address space in organisations.
In the longer term, IPV6 deals with other issues.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Tim Downie

IMM wrote:

Your ignorance of computing abounds. IP address are dynamic and that
of the local ISP, not individual machines. So many people could have
the same IP address at many times. Duh!

Well not at the same time anyway. You're assigned an IP address for the
duration of your on-line session on dial-up accounts (and possibly some BB
accounts).

Anyway, you're quite right that it's possible for another customer to be
posting with the same address as you *at a different time and different
on-line session*.

Of course it's rather harder to understand how say on the 14/03/04, "NEWS"
posted thus:

Time IP address
20:24 217.134.31.152
20:25 217.134.31.152
20:31 217.134.31.152
21:00 217.134.31.152

and IMM posted thus:

Time IP address
20:33 217.134.31.152
20:55 217.134.31.152
21:59 217.134.31.152

I mean, what are the chances of NEWS dropping his connection after 20:31 and
picking up the *same* address at 21:00?

Maybe not impossible but on 15/03/04

NEWS posted thus:

Time IP address
15:16 217.134.79.40
15:34 217.134.79.40

and IMM posted thus:

Time IP adress
15:19 217.134.79.40
15:21 217.134.79.40

Amazing! Lightning *does* strike twice. (Or, just perhaps, you're telling
porkies).

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.
Please support rheumatoid arthritis research!

mouse

said:

If you use something like Outlook Express, it doesn't cover
this stuff so you can't see it.

Yes you can
Right click on header, click on properties. Reveals all the information you
need then look up the host isp on the ripe or other data base.
Mouse

Christian McArdle

I'm going for the mo'. I've such fun with you trolls today. Back later.

Ah, he wants to log off to get a new IP address so he can post from Mr News.

Christian.

Bob Eager

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:53:48 UTC, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Yours may be. Not all IP addresses are dynamic, and to imply that it is
so shows your ignorance.

That's pretty rare in a domestic setting, though. I used to have one via
Demon, but I wouldn't want one now as it is too dangerous; IP masquerading
gives useful extra security for free.

I've never really understood why it's more dangerous; at any given time,
there will be some IP address assiciated with a site. Masquerading
doesn't remove the risk although it may reduce it slightly.

On the other hand I do have a tightly configured, standalone firewall
machine...!

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Bob Eager

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:19:38 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

In the vast majority of the Internet, dynamic IPs are used, as there is
simply not enough IP adresses to around.

Actually, that's a myth....even if you add back the missing verb.

Every individual machine in this house has its own static IP address.

You won't find that via Goggle if you go via an ISP. You are Probably using
a router for all your machines. One side of the router the internet doesn't
want to know.

All the machines on my network have individual IP addresses. They are
visible both sides of the firewall - and both sides of the router.

Go to the 3-Com web site. They have tutorials on IP addresses.

Don't need one. I write tutorials on IP.

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Bob Eager

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:01:47 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

No ISP allocates one IP address to one individual user, unless it is a large
user. IP addresses are scarce, very scare. One of the big problems of TC/IP
is that the addressing stinks, although this is being worked on.

Rubbish. As Andy said, CIDR has fixed that for a while now. I am a small
user. I have 24 IP addresses.

And I could have another 65000 odd if I wanted to use IPv6....!
--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Bob Eager

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:30:08 UTC, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I don't know. I like DHCP. It means people can plug their computers into my
network without problems.

I agree.

It also means my router finds out when ntl change their DNS servers, again.

My solution there is to run my own!

You can set up DHCP with fixed IP address/MAC
mapping, too.

Yes, I do that here. Makes it much easier to manage.

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...

Bob Eager

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:28:22 UTC, (Huge) wrote:

"IMM" writes:

Wrong. Look at Demon user IP allocations. If you know how to, that is.

Wrong.

Tee-hee.

From
http://www.demon.net/products/access/standard.shtml;

"Our Static IP address feature makes it easy to configure your
corporate firewall to give you comprehensive remote access to resources
at the office."

And another example, from my ISP (just to rub it in...!):

"You are allocated a block of IP addresses depending on the number of
machines you have or will have soon. IP addresses are carefully managed
and have to be justified (by having machines or a good reason to need
them). We will supply as many as you actually need, but they are always
allocated in a power of 2, i.e. 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, etc. "

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Christian McArdle

My solution there is to run my own!

I used to run my own too, along with a decent qmail implementation that sent
mail direct to recipient, rather than via the ISP's overloaded servers.
Unfortunately, I can't do that any more, as my venerable Linux box was
replaced by a solid state router without these options.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

I've never really understood why it's more dangerous; at any given time,
there will be some IP address assiciated with a site.

Basically, it won't affect random attacks, but makes targeted attacks much
more difficult, as your IP address changes all the time, preventing
disgruntled usenet users finding your fixed IP address from a message and
launching a DoS or more sophisticated hacking attack.

Christian.

RichardS

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
My solution there is to run my own!

I used to run my own too, along with a decent qmail implementation that

sent
mail direct to recipient, rather than via the ISP's overloaded servers.
Unfortunately, I can't do that any more, as my venerable Linux box was
replaced by a solid state router without these options.

tsk!

where's the d-i-y in _that_ ???

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Tim Downie

Parish wrote:

Right click on a message, Properties, Details tab shows the headers.
If
you then click the Message Source button it shows the whole raw
message, headers 'n' all in a Notepad type window.

Or easier still, open the message and hit CTRL + F3

HTH

Tim