Christian McArdle

Default IP adressing stinks

DHCP is a hideous hack invented and perpetrated by SmallNFloppy because
their "operating systems" are so pants. TCP/IP was never intended
to operate thus.

I don't know. I like DHCP. It means people can plug their computers into my
network without problems. It also means my router finds out when ntl change
their DNS servers, again. You can set up DHCP with fixed IP address/MAC
mapping, too.

When you don't really care what addresses are used, DHCP is excellent. I
just remember in the old days, the problems you got on the network when the
dreaded "duplicate IP address detected" message came up, due to attempts to
maintain static IP. With judicious use of ARP, you could find out the MAC
address of the offender. Then you could look it up, to find the computer was
registered to someone who left the company 6 months ago, and then try to
think who would have inherited the machine. With DHCP, this isn't as likely
(malicious intend excepted), even with static addresses, as the DHCP server
will only allow the IP address to be mapped to a MAC address once.

Christian.