Christian McArdle

Default IP adressing stinks

No ISP allocates one IP address to one individual user, unless it is
a large user.

Wrong. Look at Demon user IP allocations. If you know how to, that is.

Wrong.

Eh? It practically the whole point of being with demon was having a static
IP address. It used to cause them no end of problems with their internal
routing, as the same IP address could be served from any of their pops
depending on which phone number you dialed. With a dynamic setup, they could
have had an dynamic IP bank for each pop and pretty much static routes, but
enough people wanted static IP for them to persist.

I used to run all sorts on my old Linux box in the good old days. Being able
to UNIX chat with people at the house when I was sitting at uni was pretty
good, as was being able to push upload files to the home computer. I
wouldn't dream of leaving ports like that open these days. It was pretty
hairy then, in those pre-ipchains days.

Christian.