Ric

"Grunff" wrote in message
Owain wrote:

It depends on how old their existing computer system is and how easy it
is
to get the data off it in a form intelligible by the new system.
Sometimes
it is cheaper and quicker to use skilled data preparation personnel. I
once
worked in a toffee factory for three weeks retyping last year's copy
invoices into next year's accounts system.

Nah, it's *always* possible to migrate data,

Agreed

and with the kind of volumes that someone like Screwfix would have the
only option would be to write an import/convert tool.

Exactly, and they are hardly a long-in-the-tooth company and as they are an
an online company they must have fairly up to date database technology.

--
Grunff

Pet

Andy Hall wrote:

Paid by credit card?

Not a problem if so.

Don't be too sure about that !
If goods have been delivered and signed for (superficially accepted)
whether faulty or not, CC companys don't really give a stuff.

They are more worried about stolen cards and fraudulent purchases, even
then, they don't even give a toss about attempting to catch anyone
blatantly using someone else's CC because they know full well they can
just take the money straight back of the vendor with no financial loss
to themselves !

People put far more trust in C.C. companies with regards to purchases
than they should!

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!
Pete C

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:35:06 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

In the U.S., HD is know as "the Borg" (from Star Trek) because of
their predatory nature.

Or 'Home Despot'.

I'm not a big fan of DIY superstores to say the least.

cheers,
Pete.
Andy Hall

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:38:05 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:36:05 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
snip

In the U.S., HD is know as "the Borg" (from Star Trek) because of
their predatory nature.

It would not surprise me at all if B&Q were to be "assumed by the
Borg" at some point.

The state of my local B&Q, recently refitted out as a mini warehouse,

makes
me wonder if there is something afoot with the Kingfisher group, shelving
cleared for 'new season' stock or shelving for new range stock left empty
for the last two or three weeks now (having cleared the old saleable

stock
!). It's making me wonder if there is a distribution problem, at far
reaching finance problem or the much talked about take over by or selling
off to HD is on the cards again....

If you look at their interim report, you will read that they say that
sales of seasonal stock has been poor at B&Q but has been compensated
by improved sales in other areas.

Must be all those PP Pro tools they are selling.

Probably cancelled out by all the returns.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
GB

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

At least you got your money back, and I hope you are no longer with
LloydsTSB. They use delay tactics, hoping you will be fobbed off. They
,must have insurance for these events, so I can't see what they are

griping.

Self insured I suspect, £x b/m put aside to cover themselves. And even if
they are using 'commercial insurance you have to remember that insurance
companies are in business *not* to pay out on claims.

The co-op refused to pay up on a claim I made on my VISA card, and it took a
load of persuading to get them to do so, although I did not have to go as
far as the Ombudsman. In the Co-op's case, they invented rules. For
example, they said that there was too long a delay between the goods being
ordered and my making a claim. When it came to it, they were totally unable
to find anything in the legislation to back this up, and their legal
department supported me. IMHO you just have to be very insistent. I suspect
that all credit card companies resent paying out on these claims.

GB

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
SNIP

- Screwfix Direct sales up 15.0%, retail profit down £3.9 million to
£6.1 million after pre-opening and transition costs of new fulfilment
capacity.
=====

.andy

It does seem unlikely that they are going down the pan, then.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:46:49 +0000 (UTC), "GB"
wrote:

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Probably the first problem here is having any dealings whatsoever with
the Co-op........

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:47:42 GMT, "Andy Kelly"
wrote:

Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

I notice that they have now changed their home page message:

"
Since we distributed our latest catalogue we have taken a huge number
of orders from our customers. That combined with the transfer of our
fulfilment operation to our new centre in Stoke-on-Trent, has led to
us being unable to maintain our next day delivery promise. Because we
are passionate about the service we give you, we have decided to
accept no new orders for the moment either on Screwfix.com or by
telephone.

Our telephone agents are available to deal with any queries you may
have on orders you have already placed – or you can e-mail us at

As soon as we have despatched the current backlog of orders, we will
resume our usual next day delivery service. The position is being
reviewed constantly and this web page will carry the latest
information.

At present, we expect to begin accepting orders again by Sunday
evening for delivery on Tuesday."

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:50:53 +0000 (UTC), "GB"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
SNIP

- Screwfix Direct sales up 15.0%, retail profit down £3.9 million to
£6.1 million after pre-opening and transition costs of new fulfilment
capacity.
=====

.andy

It does seem unlikely that they are going down the pan, then.

Well.....

I'm the last person to tolerate poor service, and had I had orders in
the system with SF, I would be pretty ****ed off with them at this
point.

However, the worsening deliveries, customer service and so on in
recent months can be explained by a demotivated workforce and run-down
in Yeovil, AFAICS.

Equally we should remember, that some people don't read the small
print regarding free delivery. They have always said typically next
day and for a large proportion of customers this probably has
happened. However, if one really does want a before 10 or 12 or
guaranteed next day delivery, then there is a charge.
It's no good moaning if you usually get next day on free delivery and
then it doesn't happen for a few - luck of the draw.

It's inevitable that there is some disruption with a move of
logistics, but it's pretty clear that they have had some problems with
that.

Until this point they appear to have tried to soldier on with ever
worsening deliveries. It's pretty brave, and I think responsible for
them to stop taking orders, fix the problems and then open up again.
They'll lose some business this way, but I'm willing to bet not for
long when all is fixed.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Owain

"Ric" wrote
| I once worked in a toffee factory for three weeks retyping last
| year's copy invoices into next year's accounts system.
| Ah, but did the toffee factory cease production while you were
| doing this?

No; there would have been riots if the weans of Scotland had been deprived
of their Irn Bru bars, Vimto bars, Lanky Larrys, Wizard Wandz[1], Whams and
Lippy Chicks.

Owain

[1] Mystical chew bar wand. Seven flavours but no-one knows which flavour
they will get until they start to chew. The flavours are Blueberry, cherry,
rhubarb and custard, grapefruit, chocolate, apple, and chilli.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"GB" writes:

The co-op refused to pay up on a claim I made on my VISA card, and it took a
load of persuading to get them to do so, although I did not have to go as
far as the Ombudsman. In the Co-op's case, they invented rules. For
example, they said that there was too long a delay between the goods being
ordered and my making a claim. When it came to it, they were totally unable
to find anything in the legislation to back this up, and their legal
department supported me. IMHO you just have to be very insistent. I suspect
that all credit card companies resent paying out on these claims.

I've only had to claim once, from Barclaycard, and they were
extremely helpful. I had already had several goes at trying
to deal with the supplier before I went to Barclaycard.
Barclaycard said I should have saved myself the trouble and
contacted them earlier. They give the supplier 60 days to
respond to the claim (most respond much faster than that).
In my case, the supplier didn't respond at all. I was only
complaining about something like £200 of non-supplied
goods on a £400 order, the rest having been correctly
supplied. However, Barclaycard refunded the whole transaction
and said the supplier would have to bill me again if they
wanted the £200 balance. I never heard from the supplier after
that though. This was all about 10 years ago -- don't know
if it would be the same today.

--
Andrew Gabriel
John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

I switched to them as my main supplier for glues and small fittings a
few weeks ago, no problems so far. The range is much smaller than SF -
more like what SF were like 4 years ago.

Perhaps not supprisingly, I found that screws are of a better quality
from screwfix than from toolstation! As you say they are goof for
sealants etc. A

--
Cheers,

John.

Bob Mannix

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:50:09 +0100, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

The only odd thing was that the signs inside are bilingual English and
Spanish in some stores.

Which bit was the odd thing?

Well...... you don't see Spanish on the signs in B&Q in
Farnborough.....

In California, it's entirely reasonable

Ah, it's the way you read it. I assumed you meant "odd in context" not
"different to my normal experience".

My mistake

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Andy Hall

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:00:58 +0100, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The only odd thing was that the signs inside are bilingual English and
Spanish in some stores.

Which bit was the odd thing?

Well...... you don't see Spanish on the signs in B&Q in
Farnborough.....

In California, it's entirely reasonable

Ah, it's the way you read it. I assumed you meant "odd in context" not
"different to my normal experience".

My mistake

Sorry not to be clear.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Grunff

John Rumm wrote:

Perhaps not supprisingly, I found that screws are of a better quality
from screwfix than from toolstation! As you say they are goof for
sealants etc. A

Screwfix got me hooked on SpaX screws a couple of years ago, then
stopped selling them! So all my scews come from Axminster.

--
Grunff
Farmer Giles

wrote:

[...]

I ordered from Screwfix on Wednesday (21st) about 5.30pm. Their website said
that the order would be delivered on Monday, and that the site would close
at 6.00 that evening, I was pleasantly surprised when the order was
delivered first thing this morning (Fri).

Bob Mannix

wrote:

Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery

problems

At present, we expect to begin accepting orders again by Sunday
evening for delivery on Tuesday."

.andy

I ordered from Screwfix on Wednesday (21st) about 5.30pm. Their website

said
that the order would be delivered on Monday, and that the site would close
at 6.00 that evening, I was pleasantly surprised when the order was
delivered first thing this morning (Fri).

I ordered from them on Wednesday too. Nothing so far. (

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

Perhaps not supprisingly, I found that screws are of a better quality
from screwfix than from toolstation! As you say they are goof for
sealants etc. A

Screwfix got me hooked on SpaX screws a couple of years ago, then
stopped selling them! So all my scews come from Axminster.

Can't remember if I have tried the Axminster ones.... Any good?

The TS ones did not seem to fit the Wiha diamond coated Pozi bits as
weel as the SF ones, and also they seem to be a bit softer. The net
result was more likely to "cam out" when driving, and almost certain to
kill the head when you do! Not as good for driving single handed either
due to the pooorer fit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Grunff

John Rumm wrote:

Can't remember if I have tried the Axminster ones.... Any good?

Same as the ones Screwfix used to stock. Serrated tip and Torx head are
the main features. Superb screws. Once you use them you never want to
use Pozi again (even with decent bits, there's really no comparison).

The TS ones did not seem to fit the Wiha diamond coated Pozi bits as
weel as the SF ones, and also they seem to be a bit softer. The net
result was more likely to "cam out" when driving, and almost certain to
kill the head when you do! Not as good for driving single handed either
due to the pooorer fit.

Try some SpaX Torx screws...

--
Grunff

mike. buckley

In message , Bob Mannix
writes

More info he

Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
http://www.toastyhamster.freeserve.co.uk
BONY#38
Bob Mannix

"mike. buckley" wrote in message
k...
In message , Bob Mannix
writes

More info he

I'll not hold my breath then. As Fr Jack would say - arse, feck, drink!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Anna Kettle

Try some SpaX Torx screws...

Great screws. I get mine from Jewsons

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
:::Jerry::::

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
Try some SpaX Torx screws...

Great screws. I get mine from Jewsons

That is crying out for some uncouth reply or other ! :~)

Farmer Giles

wrote:

[...]

Got too excited too soon. On checking the order I found that half of it was
missing! :(

Rick Hughes

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

They have moved to a new larger premise .... and tried to hack their system
to cope, but gave up and have taken syatem off-line and stopped orders to
month end to give them time to get it sorted.

Now I bet the IT manager or whoever project managed this is getting an
earful.

Rick

chris French

In message , Rick Hughes
writes

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

They have moved to a new larger premise .... and tried to hack their system
to cope, but gave up and have taken syatem off-line and stopped orders to
month end to give them time to get it sorted.

Except they are taking orders again, but limiting them so as not to
overload the system.

It seems that they haven't yet got enough staff at their new warehouse.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Bob Mannix

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Rick Hughes
writes

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery

problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

They have moved to a new larger premise .... and tried to hack their

system
to cope, but gave up and have taken syatem off-line and stopped orders to
month end to give them time to get it sorted.

Except they are taking orders again, but limiting them so as not to
overload the system.

It seems that they haven't yet got enough staff at their new warehouse.

And they are delivering orders (eventually). Mine cam yesterday (ordered
6hrs before the site shut). It was complete and delivered to work at my
request.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Huge wrote:
I wouldn't be at all suprised to find out that the IT manager thought
it wouldn't work in the first place and was told to shut up by some PHB

And then sacked afterwards as still being his fault.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Pete C

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:28:33 +0100, chris French
wrote:

Indeed, it's a bit of major cock up. There was a claim on the
UK_Selfbuild list that they are only paying the minimum wage for
warehouse staff, maybe they need to offer more?

Wonder what they were paying before, maybe they moved partly to reduce
their wage bill.

cheers,
Pete.
Andy Hall

wrote:

Indeed, it's a bit of major cock up. There was a claim on the
UK_Selfbuild list that they are only paying the minimum wage for
warehouse staff, maybe they need to offer more?

Wonder what they were paying before, maybe they moved partly to reduce
their wage bill.

cheers,
Pete.

Who knows, but considering that warehouses are becoming increasingly
automated, wages for humans working in them are bound to decline.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

Who knows, but considering that warehouses are becoming increasingly
automated, wages for humans working in them are bound to decline.

Surely the opposite. It costs a lot more to get a technician to repair the
robot than pay a human robot to pick boxes off a shelf.

Christian.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Who knows, but considering that warehouses are becoming increasingly
automated, wages for humans working in them are bound to decline.

Surely the opposite. It costs a lot more to get a technician to repair
the robot than pay a human robot to pick boxes off a shelf.

The robot breaks down each time it picks something? Then Screwfix are
definitely fooked.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:55:28 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Who knows, but considering that warehouses are becoming increasingly
automated, wages for humans working in them are bound to decline.

Surely the opposite. It costs a lot more to get a technician to repair the
robot than pay a human robot to pick boxes off a shelf.

Christian.

True, although hopefully the robot doesn't break down that much.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
MBQ

wrote:

Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

It's changed from a few days ago.

Digging around in my cache I found the following:

"Deliveries
Unfortunately we are unable to fulfil any further orders for Standard
next day, Saturday and pre 10/12 deliveries. Any orders placed today
will now be delivered on Friday 24th September. We apologise for any
inconvenience this may cause."

So they have gone from taking orders (with a delay in despatch) to
not being able to take orders at all.

If they were moving offices, surely they'd get one up and running
before closing the other?

Something is afoot..

sPoNiX

From the Telegraph:

"But in Stoke-on-Trent a new B&Q warehouse has been unable to meet
demand for products sold on its screwfix
..com website because of a shortage of 100 employees.

The site, which sells tools and building equipment, has been suspended
almost daily recently because it is unable to fill orders. Yesterday
it reached capacity before 4pm.

"Recruitment has been harder than we thought and we have had to
recruit more people than we expected," said a spokesman for B&Q parent
Kingfisher. "But as the new staff join and are trained up we intend to
restore the full service to our customers."

The web site has grown rapidly since launched several years ago and
last year processed about £70m of orders."

MBQ
chris French

In message , MBQ
writes
.
wrote:

Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

From the Telegraph:

"But in Stoke-on-Trent a new B&Q warehouse has been unable to meet
demand for products sold on its screwfix
.com website because of a shortage of 100 employees.

It is too much to expect journalists to get basic facts correct?

how do they expect people to believe what they write when they come out
with crap like the above.
--
Chris French, Leeds
:::Jerry::::

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , MBQ
writes
.

snip

From the Telegraph:

"But in Stoke-on-Trent a new B&Q warehouse has been unable to meet
demand for products sold on its screwfix
.com website because of a shortage of 100 employees.

It is too much to expect journalists to get basic facts correct?

how do they expect people to believe what they write when they come out
with crap like the above.

And you believe the media even when they get their basic facts correct, how
naive you are....

Screwfix deliveries (not again!) David W.E. Roberts UK diy 2 May 10th 04 10:40 PM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM