Andy Kelly

Default Screwfix about to go belly up?

Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

Grunff

Andy Kelly wrote:
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

I hope not - they owe me nearly £200 in returns.

Last week I ordered a sink tap (Pegler Iconic), which arrived this week,
and leaked like a very leaky thing when I installed it. Ordered a
replacement (different Pegler), which arrived today, and was also faulty.

--
Grunff
Andy Hall

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:51:57 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Andy Kelly wrote:
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

I hope not - they owe me nearly £200 in returns.

Last week I ordered a sink tap (Pegler Iconic), which arrived this week,
and leaked like a very leaky thing when I installed it. Ordered a
replacement (different Pegler), which arrived today, and was also faulty.

Paid by credit card?

Not a problem if so.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Stefek Zaba

Andy Kelly wrote:
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

For what little it's worth, my vote's for the former; although as a
company they've titted me about something rotten over the most recent
order (placed 02sep and still incomplete, as recounted at tedious length
in an earlier posting today), the people I've talked to on the phone
have been unfailingly motivated and polite, with one of them mentioning
during the course of conversation that there's about 300
customer-call-takers in the call centre. Didn't to me have the air of an
organisation about to go under; rather one where some self-proclaimed
management genius has pushed through a Wonderful And Bold ReEngineering
Programme, maybe having swallowed uncritically the promises of an
Outsourcing Partner, leading the organisation temporarily up an
unproductive garden path - possibly while a different management genius
is busy broadening the product range. I think they'll be back on form in
fulfilling orders within a few weeks, but their profit figures will look
dire for a month or four, and that the difficulty of rebuilding their
reputation with their customer base will affect sales for a bit longer
than that.

And I suspect the management genius(es) responsible will be in new jobs
with different organisations in a different retail sub-sector within a
year, on improved salaries, with their CVs and references full of
glowing tales of the dynamic change management programme they
succesfully led at Sfx...

Stefek "Dilbert R Us" Z
Grunff

Andy Hall wrote:

Paid by credit card?

Always.

Not a problem if so.

I guess - never had to recover anything through my CC company. Still, I
hope it doesn't come to that, I'm very fond of Screwfix despite poor
performance over the past few weeks.

--
Grunff

IMM

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

They have just moved home, and installed a new computer system, so I
believe.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:47:42 GMT, "Andy Kelly"
wrote:

Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

I think that this is unlikely.

If you take a look at the web site of their parent company,
Kingfisher, in the interim results for the first half of 2004 (to end
of July:

http://www.kingfisher.co.uk/files/en.../interim04.pdf

The current troubles are completely explained by

"SCREWFIX DIRECT grew its catalogue and online sales of tools and
trade materials by 15.0% to £123.2 million. However, retail profit
declined by £3.9 million to £6.1 million due to £3.6 million of
pre-opening and transition costs associated with its new fulfilment
centre at Stoke which started shipping at the end of June. This
transition, which will result in a 40% capacity expansion, is now
nearing completion with single site operation planned from October."

"Kingfisher plc is Europe’s leading home improvement retailer and the
third largest in the world, with 579 stores in nine countries in
Europe and Asia."

For the group:

- Retail sales up 9.6% to £3.9 billion (2003/04: £3.6 billion), up
11.6% in constant currencies and up 6.1% like-for-like

- Retail profit(3) up 13.2% to £355.8 million (2003/04: £314.4
million), up 15.1% in constant currencies

- Adjusted pre-tax profit (4) up 18.4% to £345.9 million (2003/04:
£292.2 million), up 20.7% in constant currencies

-Pre-tax profits up 27.1% to £346.3 million (2003/04: £272.5 million)

- Attributable post-tax profits up 29.9% to £237.3 million (2003/04:
£182.6 million)

-Adjusted basic earnings per share (4) up 15.7% to 10.3p (2003/04:
8.9p)

- Basic earnings per share up 27.2% to 10.3p (2003/04: 8.1p)

- Interim dividend up 10.0% to 3.85p (2003/04: 3.5p)

- Total net debt reduced to £622.2 million (£843.8 million at 31
January 2004)

==========

UK and Ireland (58.2% of Group Sales)

- Total sales up 6.3% (3.1% LFL), retail profit up 10.2%.

- B&Q total sales up 5.9% (2.5% LFL), retail profit up 12.9% to £207.8
million. Strong growth in kitchens, bathrooms, electricals and joinery
offset weaker seasonal ranges.

- 16 more B&Q mini-Warehouse conversions, 44 now trading.

- Screwfix Direct sales up 15.0%, retail profit down £3.9 million to
£6.1 million after pre-opening and transition costs of new fulfilment
capacity.
=====

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
R Taylor

"IMM" wrote in message ...

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

They have just moved home, and installed a new computer system, so I
believe.

they also told me, a couple of months ago, that they had replaced the
stock picking and order tracking system from the antiquated on they
inherited from the old screwfix, to a new bespoke system.

I think it's unlikely, but I hope they don't go titsup.com

RT

G&M

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

Wouldn't have thought so. AFAIK Kingfisher own them and if they were
thinking of getting rid of anything to pay for more B&Q Warehouses it would
be Comet first.

G&M

"G&M" wrote in message

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery

problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

Wouldn't have thought so. AFAIK Kingfisher own them and if they were
thinking of getting rid of anything to pay for more B&Q Warehouses it

would
be Comet first.

Mind you, my postman would be happy to hear the latter. The number of their
catalogues we get with slightly differing addresses is unreal.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:33:42 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

Wouldn't have thought so. AFAIK Kingfisher own them and if they were
thinking of getting rid of anything to pay for more B&Q Warehouses it would
be Comet first.

They already did that.

Comet was a wholly owned subsidiary of Kesa Electricals and Kingfisher
demerged that in 2003.

Kingfisher is now the third largest home improvement business
worldwide, after Home Depot and Lowes.

Of course, if they sell B&Q to Home Depot (which would require no
colour change, little rebranding and be up and running in 10 minutes),
they would be No. 1.

www.homedepot.com

- B&Q layout identical
- "You can do it. We can Help" (TM) {You can do it when you B&Q it}
- Everything the same shade of orange
- Old duffers in aprons at the door.
- Buckets to use instead of baskets
- Signage identical
- Tool Corrall

The only thing HD doesn't usually have is a cafeteria for the punters
in the store - there's usually a roach coach outside.

However they do have self service checkouts which do the entire job
including taking your money.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Michael Mcneil

"Grunff" wrote in message

I guess - never had to recover anything through my CC company. Still, I
hope it doesn't come to that, I'm very fond of Screwfix despite poor
performance over the past few weeks.

There are any number of problems that could occur with a computer
dependent firm like that:

Sloppy work ethics leading to massive debts.

Poor management interaction or one of them trying to wrest control.

DDOSs, viral attacks, tech problems and/or upgrades.

Criminal insiders.

If they can clear the corruption they can get a loan to refloat if
needed.
Heads will roll though. If they don't, that will be the end of it.

They have a huge warehouse down the hill from me. I shall ask about it
at work tomorrow.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:01:42 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil"
wrote:

"Grunff" wrote in message

I guess - never had to recover anything through my CC company. Still, I
hope it doesn't come to that, I'm very fond of Screwfix despite poor
performance over the past few weeks.

There are any number of problems that could occur with a computer
dependent firm like that:

Sloppy work ethics leading to massive debts.

Poor management interaction or one of them trying to wrest control.

DDOSs, viral attacks, tech problems and/or upgrades.

Criminal insiders.

If they can clear the corruption they can get a loan to refloat if
needed.
Heads will roll though. If they don't, that will be the end of it.

Why do you imagine that there is anything more sinister than a
disconnect while they move distribution from one part of the country
to another?

Since they are probably closing the Yeovil facility - this was
announced after the local authority refused permission to extend the
current facility or build a new one - one can imagine that the
workforce are hardly motivated. Especially if they haven't been
offered generous severance payments.

Screwfix has a good turnover and respectable profit for the type of
industry, but the move has dented their short term profits by some
way.

They have a huge warehouse down the hill from me. I shall ask about it
at work tomorrow.

If you're in Stoke, it's the new one. If it's Yeovil, then it's
probably about to close.

I don't think that they would have made the huge investment in a move
for logistical reasons if they were going to offer an inferior
delivery service afterwards.

The only evidence of problems is that the delivery situation has
worsened for the moment. Previously, they did have a good delivery
record, although people took it that the free delivery service was
guaranteed next day rather than typically next day. This is to be
expected during a transition like this. Moving a distribution
business of over 10,000 line items is not trivial.

The thing that they have done poorly, is not to give a good
explanation on their web site or in the catalogue that this is taking
place and a likely timescale to resolve it.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Phil Cousins

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

I placed an order Monday and just phoned to check on progress (Thurs AM).

Spoke to a young guy by the name of "Fred" - I did double check the name,
his accent wasn't UK - have they moved the call centre to India?

My order is apparently "stuck in the system", their order tracking system is
working as Fred could check my address details and the status of the order
but the picking and warehouse control system is most definately not working.

I asked how long for my delivery not sure was the answer. I asked two days
or three days, he suggested Monday. I almost cancelled the order but
curiosity got the better of me!

Sounds like they have got themselves in a right mess.

Phil

sPoNiX

wrote:

Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

It's changed from a few days ago.

Digging around in my cache I found the following:

"Deliveries
Unfortunately we are unable to fulfil any further orders for Standard
next day, Saturday and pre 10/12 deliveries. Any orders placed today
will now be delivered on Friday 24th September. We apologise for any
inconvenience this may cause."

So they have gone from taking orders (with a delay in despatch) to
not being able to take orders at all.

If they were moving offices, surely they'd get one up and running
before closing the other?

Something is afoot..

sPoNiX

Tim Mitchell

In article , Andy Hall
writes
Of course, if they sell B&Q to Home Depot (which would require no
colour change, little rebranding and be up and running in 10 minutes),
they would be No. 1.

www.homedepot.com

- B&Q layout identical
- "You can do it. We can Help" (TM) {You can do it when you B&Q it}
- Everything the same shade of orange
- Old duffers in aprons at the door.
- Buckets to use instead of baskets
- Signage identical
- Tool Corrall

The only thing HD doesn't usually have is a cafeteria for the punters
in the store - there's usually a roach coach outside.

When the B&Q Warehouse concept was introduced, the first few were called
"B&Q Depot" (with the above Home Depot similarities) but Home Depot were
not impressed and made them change it, presumably in case of future
expansion to the UK.
--
Tim Mitchell
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

It's changed from a few days ago.

Digging around in my cache I found the following:

"Deliveries
Unfortunately we are unable to fulfil any further orders for Standard
next day, Saturday and pre 10/12 deliveries. Any orders placed today
will now be delivered on Friday 24th September. We apologise for any
inconvenience this may cause."

So they have gone from taking orders (with a delay in despatch) to
not being able to take orders at all.

If they were moving offices, surely they'd get one up and running
before closing the other?

Not that simple.

What may happen is that teh new systems will need to have the old data
rolled onto them. Its quite a job really. Especially if its a new
software system they are using.

Something is afoot..

sPoNiX

Andy Hall

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:03:41 +0100, Tim Mitchell
wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
writes
Of course, if they sell B&Q to Home Depot (which would require no
colour change, little rebranding and be up and running in 10 minutes),
they would be No. 1.

www.homedepot.com

- B&Q layout identical
- "You can do it. We can Help" (TM) {You can do it when you B&Q it}
- Everything the same shade of orange
- Old duffers in aprons at the door.
- Buckets to use instead of baskets
- Signage identical
- Tool Corrall

The only thing HD doesn't usually have is a cafeteria for the punters
in the store - there's usually a roach coach outside.

When the B&Q Warehouse concept was introduced, the first few were called
"B&Q Depot" (with the above Home Depot similarities) but Home Depot were
not impressed and made them change it, presumably in case of future
expansion to the UK.

In the U.S., HD is know as "the Borg" (from Star Trek) because of
their predatory nature.

It would not surprise me at all if B&Q were to be "assumed by the
Borg" at some point.

Having said that, the concept has been copied by wannabees all over
Europe.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Kevin

Andy Kelly wrote:
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

I hope not - they owe me nearly £200 in returns.

Last week I ordered a sink tap (Pegler Iconic), which arrived this week,
and leaked like a very leaky thing when I installed it. Ordered a
replacement (different Pegler), which arrived today, and was also faulty.

Paid by credit card?

Not a problem if so.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I wouldn't guantee it. I recently only got a credit card refund from
Lloyds TSB after a company went bankrupt by taking LTSB to the
Financial Ombudsman. Whilst the law states that you are covered if
purchased by credit card, the card company can still stick 2 fingers
up.
Ric

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but as part of the development of the new system, processes to
amalgamate the old data will be incorporated. It wouldn't be a case of a
thousand monkeys copying all the data from one screen to another - it would
programmatically be transferred from the old database and really shoudn't
take very long. With the correct planning and implementation there should
really be no excuse for such an interruption of service. There has oviously
been some major shortcomings in the changeover planning.

Something is afoot..

sPoNiX

IMM

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Andy Kelly wrote:
[...]

At least you got your money back, and I hope you are no longer with
LloydsTSB. They use delay tactics, hoping you will be fobbed off. They
,must have insurance for these events, so I can't see what they are griping.

Christian McArdle

What may happen is that teh new systems will need to have the old data
rolled onto them. Its quite a job really. Especially if its a new
software system they are using.

Is now the time to mention that www.toolstation.com seems to be much cheaper
than Screwfix for most things? (And still have free delivery even for small
orders for a few more days).

Christian.

Ric

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...

What may happen is that teh new systems will need to have the old data
rolled onto them. Its quite a job really. Especially if its a new
software system they are using.

Is now the time to mention that www.toolstation.com seems to be much
cheaper
than Screwfix for most things? (And still have free delivery even for
small
orders for a few more days).

You just kick them while they're down!

Christian.

Grunff

Christian McArdle wrote:

Is now the time to mention that www.toolstation.com seems to be much cheaper
than Screwfix for most things? (And still have free delivery even for small
orders for a few more days).

I switched to them as my main supplier for glues and small fittings a
few weeks ago, no problems so far. The range is much smaller than SF -
more like what SF were like 4 years ago.

--
Grunff
:::Jerry::::

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

At least you got your money back, and I hope you are no longer with
LloydsTSB. They use delay tactics, hoping you will be fobbed off. They
,must have insurance for these events, so I can't see what they are

griping.

Self insured I suspect, £x b/m put aside to cover themselves. And even if
they are using 'commercial insurance you have to remember that insurance
companies are in business *not* to pay out on claims.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
They ,must have insurance for these events, so I can't see what they are
griping.

Good grief.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
:::Jerry::::

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
snip

In the U.S., HD is know as "the Borg" (from Star Trek) because of
their predatory nature.

It would not surprise me at all if B&Q were to be "assumed by the
Borg" at some point.

The state of my local B&Q, recently refitted out as a mini warehouse, makes
me wonder if there is something afoot with the Kingfisher group, shelving
cleared for 'new season' stock or shelving for new range stock left empty
for the last two or three weeks now (having cleared the old saleable stock
!). It's making me wonder if there is a distribution problem, at far
reaching finance problem or the much talked about take over by or selling
off to HD is on the cards again....

Cicero

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
Their website has a notice saying that they can't take orders at the

moment
and the contact centre isn't taking calls.

Either they are re-grouping and trying to sort out their delivery problems
(which I've never had a problem with) or are just about to go belly up.

I reckon the latter.

===============
I've just received a £10-00 voucher from Screwfix (Yeovil) as compensation
for poor delivery. It's redeemable until September 2005 which suggests that
they expect to be still trading for at least another year!

Cic.

Grunff

Cicero wrote:

I've just received a £10-00 voucher from Screwfix (Yeovil) as compensation
for poor delivery. It's redeemable until September 2005 which suggests that
they expect to be still trading for at least another year!

Erm... or /don't/!

--
Grunff
:::Jerry::::

"Grunff" wrote in message
Cicero wrote:

I've just received a £10-00 voucher from Screwfix (Yeovil) as

compensation
for poor delivery. It's redeemable until September 2005 which suggests

that
they expect to be still trading for at least another year!

Erm... or /don't/!

Yes, I remember our family getting about a 100 quid's worth of redeemable
vouchers from Bejam (in place of and as compensation for a freezer problem)
on the morning that the food trade learnt that Iceland was taking Bejam over
and that any redeemable vouchers would become worthless - mother never spent
so much on frozen goods in such a few hours !...

Cicero

"Grunff" wrote in message
Cicero wrote:

I've just received a £10-00 voucher from Screwfix (Yeovil) as

compensation
for poor delivery. It's redeemable until September 2005 which suggests

that
they expect to be still trading for at least another year!

Erm... or /don't/!

--
Grunff

=============
Life's too short to be an eternal pessimist!

I'll wait and see - things will sort themselves out one way or another
before my voucher expires.

Cic.

Grunff

Cicero wrote:

Life's too short to be an eternal pessimist!

I'm far from that, I was just pointing out that vouchers that last for a
year != shop will be trading in a year's time.

--
Grunff
Andy Hall

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:36:05 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
snip

In the U.S., HD is know as "the Borg" (from Star Trek) because of
their predatory nature.

It would not surprise me at all if B&Q were to be "assumed by the
Borg" at some point.

The state of my local B&Q, recently refitted out as a mini warehouse, makes
me wonder if there is something afoot with the Kingfisher group, shelving
cleared for 'new season' stock or shelving for new range stock left empty
for the last two or three weeks now (having cleared the old saleable stock
!). It's making me wonder if there is a distribution problem, at far
reaching finance problem or the much talked about take over by or selling
off to HD is on the cards again....

If you look at their interim report, you will read that they say that
sales of seasonal stock has been poor at B&Q but has been compensated
by improved sales in other areas.

The accounts don't suggest a far reaching financial problem.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Owain

"Ric" wrote
| What may happen is that teh new systems will need to have the
| old data rolled onto them. Its quite a job really. Especially
| if its a new software system they are using.
| Yes, but as part of the development of the new system, processes
| to amalgamate the old data will be incorporated. It wouldn't be
| a case of a thousand monkeys copying all the data from one screen
| to another - it would programmatically be transferred from the
| old database and really shoudn't take very long.

It depends on how old their existing computer system is and how easy it is
to get the data off it in a form intelligible by the new system. Sometimes
it is cheaper and quicker to use skilled data preparation personnel. I once
worked in a toffee factory for three weeks retyping last year's copy
invoices into next year's accounts system.

Owain

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:36:05 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
snip

[...]

Must be all those PP Pro tools they are selling.

Grunff

Owain wrote:

It depends on how old their existing computer system is and how easy it is
to get the data off it in a form intelligible by the new system. Sometimes
it is cheaper and quicker to use skilled data preparation personnel. I once
worked in a toffee factory for three weeks retyping last year's copy
invoices into next year's accounts system.

Nah, it's *always* possible to migrate data, and with the kind of
volumes that someone like Screwfix would have the only option would be
to write an import/convert tool.

--
Grunff
Ric

"Owain" wrote in message
"Ric" wrote
| What may happen is that teh new systems will need to have the
| old data rolled onto them. Its quite a job really. Especially
| if its a new software system they are using.
| Yes, but as part of the development of the new system, processes
| to amalgamate the old data will be incorporated. It wouldn't be
| a case of a thousand monkeys copying all the data from one screen
| to another - it would programmatically be transferred from the
| old database and really shoudn't take very long.

It depends on how old their existing computer system is and how easy it is
to get the data off it in a form intelligible by the new system. Sometimes
it is cheaper and quicker to use skilled data preparation personnel. I
once
worked in a toffee factory for three weeks retyping last year's copy
invoices into next year's accounts system.

Ah, but did the toffee factory cease production while you were doing this?
Or was their changoever managed in such a way that productivity would not be
affected?

Screwfix deliveries (not again!) David W.E. Roberts UK diy 2 May 10th 04 10:40 PM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM