Paper2002AD

Default Labels on apples

Them tiny labels on eating apples - they edible? They must get swallowed in
their millions!
Grunff

Paper2002AD wrote:

Them tiny labels on eating apples - they edible? They must get swallowed in
their millions!

No, and in fact the adhesive used on them is not very good for you. I
knew someone who spent 3 years researching how much adhesive you
actually eat, because it's apparently quite toxic in relatively small
amounts.

--
Grunff
Tim Mitchell

In article , Grunff
writes
Paper2002AD wrote:

Them tiny labels on eating apples - they edible? They must get swallowed in
their millions!

No, and in fact the adhesive used on them is not very good for you. I
knew someone who spent 3 years researching how much adhesive you
actually eat, because it's apparently quite toxic in relatively small
amounts.

You would think that the labels would be designed with an adhesive which
peels off cleanly, but it ain't so. Another of life's mysteries.
--
Tim Mitchell
Mary Fisher

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
In article , Grunff
writes
Paper2002AD wrote:

Them tiny labels on eating apples - they edible? They must get

swallowed in
their millions!

No, and in fact the adhesive used on them is not very good for you. I
knew someone who spent 3 years researching how much adhesive you
actually eat, because it's apparently quite toxic in relatively small
amounts.

You would think that the labels would be designed with an adhesive which
peels off cleanly, but it ain't so. Another of life's mysteries.

They'd come off too easily in transit or storage if they were and we
couldn't have that, could we!

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get confused
before we hd them? No.

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

Mary
--
Tim Mitchell

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get
confused before we hd them? No.

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

They're used so that the apples can be easily identified at the checkout -
they all have a four digit number on them which is typed into the till and
the computer knows what you're buying, or more precisely, what the shop is
selling.

Si

Michael Mcneil

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

Oh they do, really. I read it on the internet just now.

Well, some people do.

They'll come unstuck, don't you worry.

dmc

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get confused
before we hd them? No.

Tescos last week. Bag full of conference pears with labels missing on many.

Girl at till (after hunting for labels): "Are these nectarines?"

Darren

Ric

Paper2002AD wrote:

Them tiny labels on eating apples - they edible? They must get

swallowed in
their millions!

No, and in fact the adhesive used on them is not very good for you. I
knew someone who spent 3 years researching how much adhesive you
actually eat, because it's apparently quite toxic in relatively small
amounts.

You would think that the labels would be designed with an adhesive which
peels off cleanly, but it ain't so. Another of life's mysteries.

They'd come off too easily in transit or storage if they were and we
couldn't have that, could we!

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get confused
before we hd them? No.

I have an apple tree that fails to put the labels on any of the apples it
grows - very annoying as I don't know what they are

Mary Fisher

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get
confused before we hd them? No.

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

They're used so that the apples can be easily identified at the checkout -
they all have a four digit number on them which is typed into the till and
the computer knows what you're buying, or more precisely, what the shop is
selling.

I think I knew that - but a way round that, if the check-out can't identify
them, would be to have peel off stickers on a coil near the apples and stuck
to a bag in which the customer puts the apples.

Mary

Si

Mary Fisher

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:6cd880db7e383016b5230e4d3f99f1fb.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

Oh they do, really. I read it on the internet just now.

Oh, well it must be true ...

Well, some people do.

They'll come unstuck, don't you worry.

When they get round to it.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get confused
before we hd them? No.

Tescos last week. Bag full of conference pears with labels missing on

many.

Girl at till (after hunting for labels): "Are these nectarines?"

That's not 'we'. That's them. They should be trained better.

Hrumph.

Mary

Darren

Mary Fisher

Paper2002AD wrote:

[...]

Would it make any difference to you if you did?

I once took some apples from our tree to be identified by Mr Juniper.

I've forgotten what they are.

Mary

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

dmc wrote:
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get
confused before we hd them? No.

Tescos last week. Bag full of conference pears with labels missing on
many.

Girl at till (after hunting for labels): "Are these nectarines?"

Blimey!

They're supposed to have regular checks so that they know the difference
between each different kind of fruit/vegatable.

Si

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:48:17 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

You would think that the labels would be designed with an adhesive
which peels off cleanly, but it ain't so.

Appear to peel of cleanly here, at least the glue layer stays on the
lable not the fruit. Of course I expect some thing has leached into
the fruit...

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get
confused before we hd them?

So the minimum wage brain dead super market checkout operator knows
that it's an Royal Gala Apple not a Braeburn or a Pear or Nectarine...

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

I wouldn't have thought so either but then I've learnt that it is very
easy to over estimate the stupidity of the great unwashed.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Girl at till (after hunting for labels): "Are these nectarines?"

Try Eastville (Bristol) Tesco on the very late shift. We swap recipes
for papaya or ackees and bemoan the lack of medlars.

I grow my own medlars :-)

Mary

David

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:54:34 +0100, "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get
confused before we hd them? No.

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

They're used so that the apples can be easily identified at the checkout -
they all have a four digit number on them which is typed into the till and
the computer knows what you're buying, or more precisely, what the shop is
selling.

Si

I've got a collection of them! Not in the anorak sense, but first
noticed them when I bought a grapefruit every week and the labels were
different each time. Stuck them on the kitchen wall and have about 25
different ones plus those from other fruits.

There's even a person who's got his own web page of them:

http://www.nationalfinder.com/fruitlabels/#ALPHA

No, its nothing to do with me, I just googled on them to find out what
the numbers meant. A PLU (Product Look Up number) should you be
remotely interested.

Dave

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get
confused before we hd them? No.

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

They're used so that the apples can be easily identified at the

checkout -
they all have a four digit number on them which is typed into the till

and
the computer knows what you're buying, or more precisely, what the shop

is
selling.

Si

I've got a collection of them! Not in the anorak sense, but first
noticed them when I bought a grapefruit every week and the labels were
different each time. Stuck them on the kitchen wall and have about 25
different ones plus those from other fruits.

Spouse started doing that in the 1960s.I hated it, so did the kids. They
disappeared. I didn't remove them ...

I'm sure that one day they'll have a value.

But who cares?

Mary

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Girl at till (after hunting for labels): "Are these nectarines?"

Try Eastville (Bristol) Tesco on the very late shift. We swap
recipes for papaya or ackees and bemoan the lack of medlars.

I grow my own medlars :-)

I've never heard of them!

*Google google*

Si

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

I grow my own medlars :-)

I've never heard of them!

*Google google*

Ha!

"Medlar 'Nottingham'
Reliable crops of vitamin 'C' rich fruits, needs to be bletted before
eating."

"BLETTED"!?!?

*Google google*

Si

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

I grow my own medlars :-)

I've never heard of them!

*Google google*

Ha!

"Medlar 'Nottingham'
Reliable crops of vitamin 'C' rich fruits, needs to be bletted before
eating."

"BLETTED"!?!?

There's a lot of misinformation about them.

You'll have mail.

Mary

*Google google*

Si

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:55:10 +0100, "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

"BLETTED"!?!?

It's a way of guaranteeing that they'll _never_ be sold in
supermarkets.

Ripe medlars look like durians smell, but taste rather better.
Actually they taste 'orrible, but they cook beautifully. My last batch
were used to coat a roasted Gloucester Old Spot, a bit of a waste as
I'm a veggie.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

"BLETTED"!?!?

It's a way of guaranteeing that they'll _never_ be sold in
supermarkets.

Ripe medlars look like durians smell, but taste rather better.
Actually they taste 'orrible, but they cook beautifully. My last batch
were used to coat a roasted Gloucester Old Spot, a bit of a waste as
I'm a veggie.

Old Spots!

They're best simply served, with cream.

drool

Mary

stuart noble

So what IS the adhesive on fruit labels then? Postage stamps you licked were
gum arabic, which was probably quite nutritious.
A lot of supermarket fruit is coated in carnauba wax to improve appearance.
No doubt that has some grisly e number, but is natural and harmless.

chris French

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get
confused before we hd them? No.

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

They're used so that the apples can be easily identified at the checkout -
they all have a four digit number on them which is typed into the till and
the computer knows what you're buying, or more precisely, what the shop is
selling.

I think I knew that - but a way round that, if the check-out can't identify
them, would be to have peel off stickers on a coil near the apples and stuck
to a bag in which the customer puts the apples.

And how many people would forget, stick on the wrong label etc.?
--
Chris French, Leeds

Mary Fisher

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't understand why they need labels anyway, did we all get
confused before we hd them? No.

But I really don't think many people can eat them, surely ...

They're used so that the apples can be easily identified at the

checkout -
they all have a four digit number on them which is typed into the till

and
the computer knows what you're buying, or more precisely, what the shop

is
selling.

I think I knew that - but a way round that, if the check-out can't

identify
them, would be to have peel off stickers on a coil near the apples and

stuck
to a bag in which the customer puts the apples.

And how many people would forget, stick on the wrong label etc.?

If they forget they don't buy the apples.

If they're trying to defraud, they can do that now by switching the labels.

Mary
--
Chris French, Leeds

Mary Fisher

"stuart noble" wrote in message
So what IS the adhesive on fruit labels then? Postage stamps you licked

were
gum arabic, which was probably quite nutritious.
A lot of supermarket fruit is coated in carnauba wax

Is it really carnauba?

I wouldn't have thought that would stick to apple skins.

Mary

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:04:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Is it really carnauba?

Carnauba used to be one ingredient - it gives a higher shine. Since
we started to care about eating fruit coated with furniture polish,
the shops have toned down the shininess of it. Some was candelilla
instead of carnauba as this is even harder and shinier. They're both
still used on some sweets or pills.

I believe it's sprayed on as a water emulsion, heated to keep it
flowing.

--
Smert' spamionam
chris French

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

I think I knew that - but a way round that, if the check-out can't

identify
them, would be to have peel off stickers on a coil near the apples and

stuck
to a bag in which the customer puts the apples.

And how many people would forget, stick on the wrong label etc.?

If they forget they don't buy the apples.

Or the queue has to wait while someone sorts it out.

If they're trying to defraud, they can do that now by switching the labels.

I was thinking more of accidentally sticking the wrong label on here.

Yes of course this could be used, but I can't see much in for the
supermarkets
--
Chris French, Leeds
Mary Fisher

"chris French" wrote in message

And how many people would forget, stick on the wrong label etc.?

If they forget they don't buy the apples.

Or the queue has to wait while someone sorts it out.

If they're trying to defraud, they can do that now by switching the

labels.

I was thinking more of accidentally sticking the wrong label on here.

I don't think it would bankrupt either customer or shop.

Yes of course this could be used, but I can't see much in for the
supermarkets

Well, I often hear broadcasts saying that they want to respond to customers'
requirements, that they listen, that ... oh, you know, all sorts of
meaningless guff :-)

Mary
--
Chris French, Leeds

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Is it really carnauba?

Carnauba used to be one ingredient - it gives a higher shine. Since
we started to care about eating fruit coated with furniture polish,
the shops have toned down the shininess of it. Some was candelilla
instead of carnauba as this is even harder and shinier. They're both
still used on some sweets or pills.

I believe it's sprayed on as a water emulsion, heated to keep it
flowing.

So it must contain an emulsifier too? And if so it can be washed off ... but
it can't in my experience.

Why does the work 'alar' keep coming into my mind?

Mary

--
Smert' spamionam

Mark Spice

wrote:

Is it really carnauba?

Carnauba used to be one ingredient - it gives a higher shine. Since
we started to care about eating fruit coated with furniture polish,
the shops have toned down the shininess of it. Some was candelilla
instead of carnauba as this is even harder and shinier. They're both
still used on some sweets or pills.

I believe it's sprayed on as a water emulsion, heated to keep it
flowing.

So it must contain an emulsifier too? And if so it can be washed off ...

but
it can't in my experience.

Why does the work 'alar' keep coming into my mind?

Mary

Pedant toxicologist mode on

What you can't stop thinking about a pesticide that has virtually no risk to
humans in the dose likely to be consumed and about which the scaremongering
cost millions for no actual increase in safety?

mode off

Cheers

Mark

Mary Fisher

wrote:

[...]

Oh, thanks. I wasn't worried about it, just couldn't remember anything, even
if there was such a word ... something to do with applies I thought ...

It's getting more common, this forgetting :-(

Mary

mode off

Cheers

Mark

stuart noble

Mary Fisher wrote in message

.. .
wrote:

Is it really carnauba?

Carnauba used to be one ingredient - it gives a higher shine. Since
we started to care about eating fruit coated with furniture polish,
the shops have toned down the shininess of it. Some was candelilla
instead of carnauba as this is even harder and shinier. They're both
still used on some sweets or pills.

I believe it's sprayed on as a water emulsion, heated to keep it
flowing.

So it must contain an emulsifier too? And if so it can be washed off ...

but
it can't in my experience.

The wax flakes for fruit are pre-coated with an emulsifier so that they can
just be stirred into hot water to form the emulsion. The coating it produces
has no resistance to water so can easily be washed off.
Don't know what your experience consists of but, if beeswax comes into the
equation, you would have something more water resistant.
None of the hard vegetable waxes, carnauba, candelilla, esparto are much use
as a coating on their own, all being virtually insoluble in anything at room
temperature. Used a lot in the paper and cosmetic industries I believe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

None of our chickens seem to be able to inkjet mark their eggs with the date and batch number- we have to use a lead pencil to date them. Frustrating.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-104058-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought this was done manually, or in other words twice a year., much like
toothbrush holesmanship?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"greek0691" wrote in message
roupdirect.com...
None of our chickens seem to be able to inkjet mark their eggs with the
date and batch number- we have to use a lead pencil to date them.
Frustrating.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-104058-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/12/2020 21:01, greek0691 wrote:
None of our chickens seem to be able to inkjet mark their eggs with the
date and batch number- we have to use a lead pencil to date them.
Frustrating.

Can you not feed the chickens different things on different days of the
week? So, for example, if the eggs are purple they were probably laid on
Wednesday?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 12:40, GB wrote:
On 16/12/2020 21:01, greek0691 wrote:
None of our chickens seem to be able to inkjet mark their eggs with
the date and batch number- we have to use a lead pencil to date them.
Frustrating.

Can you not feed the chickens different things on different days of the
week? So, for example, if the eggs are purple they were probably laid on
Wednesday?

I am sure you could attach a raspberry pi to them and an inkjet printer
strapped to their bottoms.

Or you could get robot goats....

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Cartoons%20...facedgoats.jpg

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 12:40, GB wrote:
On 16/12/2020 21:01, greek0691 wrote:
None of our chickens seem to be able to inkjet mark their eggs with
the date and batch number- we have to use a lead pencil to date them.
Frustrating.

Can you not feed the chickens different things on different days of the
week? So, for example, if the eggs are purple they were probably laid on
Wednesday?

The Italian 'brown barn' eggs that Sainsburys were selling in the
summer were dyed with something because when hard boiled the water
in the pan turned brown !