David Bono

Default Confusing terminal labels on White-Rodgers thermostat

I'm planning to replace my old mechanical White-Rodgers thermostat (model
1C30-302) with a Honeywell Chronotherm IV.

My house has gas heat only, and uses a 24-volt 2-wire system (white and red
wire). This should be an easy DIY job, but I found the labeling on the old
thermostat confusing.

The old sub-base has 2 connections: one is labeled "4" (connected to the red
wire), and the other is labeled "R5" (connected to the white wire).

I know I need to connect these to the "R" and "W" terminals on the new
thermostat. Unfortunately, the terminal cross-reference for the new stat
don't mention an R5 terminal. So, I don't know which wire should go to
which terminal on the Honeywell.

I suspect since it's just a 2-wire system, it doesn't really matter which
wire goes to which terminal (as long as I connect to the R and W). My guess
is that the thermostat just makes/breaks the connection between R and W when
the stat calls for heat.

Should I just hook the Red wire to R, and the white wire to W?

Thanks,
David Bono

Noon-Air

To get the Chronotherm IV to work correctly, you will need to run 2 more
wires
they will need to be wired as follows;
R - 24V
W - heat
G - fan
X - common

Then you will need to do the initial installer programming on the stat, and
then program it for your personal comfort and times

"David Bono" wrote in message
[...]

David Bono

According to the installation instructions, the Chronotherm IV should work
with the existing 2-wire system.

Since the existing thermostat doesn't have a separate G terminal, I assume
the furnace takes care of turning the fan on and off.

What if the system doesn't have the G and X wires? Does that mean I can't
use this thermostat?

"David Bono" wrote in message
[...]

Noon-Air

"David Bono" wrote in message
According to the installation instructions, the Chronotherm IV should work
with the existing 2-wire system.

It will

Since the existing thermostat doesn't have a separate G terminal, I assume
the furnace takes care of turning the fan on and off.

It does to a point

What if the system doesn't have the G and X wires? Does that mean I can't
use this thermostat?

Like I said... you will need to ADD 2 more wires to get the Chronotherm to
work *correctly*

"David Bono" wrote in message
[...]

TURTLE

"David Bono" wrote in message
According to the installation instructions, the Chronotherm IV should work
with the existing 2-wire system.

Since the existing thermostat doesn't have a separate G terminal, I assume
the furnace takes care of turning the fan on and off.

What if the system doesn't have the G and X wires? Does that mean I can't
use this thermostat?

this is Turtle.

Look Let me explain this is Coon ass Language for you.

The G terminal --- Forget about and play like it is not there.
The R Terminal --- tie it to the wire that was tied to the R terminal on the
old thermostat.
The W terminal --- Tie it to the wire that was tied to the old thermostat
where it was on the W terminal.
The X terminal --- Tie a wire on it / X terminal and run it back to the
Ground side of the 24 volt transformer in the furnace or to the C terminal
of the furnace or if you have to / not recommended but tie it to the frame
of the furnace.

If you have not got a pretty good grip on the ideal here by what Noon said
and my words do get you knowing exactly what to do. You may look to get a
hvac service company to wire it for you.

The Below here really explain everything you need to know , but just forget
about the G terminal like it was not there.

TURTLE

"David Bono" wrote in message
[...]

indago

040120 2341 - vairxpert wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:48:17 -0800, "David Bono"
wrote:

[...]

Hook your red and white wires to the R and W terminals of the new
stat. As long as you have the battery powered or power stealing
version it will work just as it is supposed to.

Since you don't have A/C there's no need to run two additional wires
and there is no such thing as an X terminal in a standard Chronotherm
IV as someone else stated. The stats that require a Common have a C
terminal.

If you want to take advantage of the Fan On feature you'll need
another wire for the G terminal. If your furnace is old you may not
even have a G terminal to attach it to, if that's the case you'll need
to have a professional install a fan control center. Either way it's
not worth the time...if you add A/C in the future the installer will
run a 5 wire at that time.

Good luck!
George

Here is a link to the White-Rodgers WebSite where you can find your
thermostat listed and then find the wiring connections appropriate in your
case.

http://www.white-rodgers.com/oem/pte...s.htm#1F78-144