Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling/cutting a 30 mm hole in 0.8 mm aluminium

I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Any metal cutting hole-saw should be fine. Use oil to stop the aluminium
balling though with just 0.8mm it's only marginally necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May 2021 12:24:04 GMT, David wrote:

I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Depending on how many holes you may need to make and how much you want
to spend, a 'Q-Max' cutter / punch makes a very neat hole.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand...metric/f/64734

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 May 2021 13:29:58 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are
for wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Any metal cutting hole-saw should be fine. Use oil to stop the aluminium
balling though with just 0.8mm it's only marginally necessary.

Ta.

Having trouble locating a 30 mm one at the moment.

I have also looked at hole punches.
Apparently you drill a pilot hole, insert a bolt, then tighten the cutter
down.
Again not finding 30 mm size.
[At least, not with fast delivery.]

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2021 13:29:58 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are
for wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Any metal cutting hole-saw should be fine. Use oil to stop the aluminium
balling though with just 0.8mm it's only marginally necessary.

Ta.

Having trouble locating a 30 mm one at the moment.

I have also looked at hole punches.
Apparently you drill a pilot hole, insert a bolt, then tighten the cutter
down.
Again not finding 30 mm size.
[At least, not with fast delivery.]

Cheers

try QMax

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Cheers

Dave R

If you haven't got a (Qmax) hole punch or hole saw then something like
this will do the job
https://www.toolstation.com/adjustab...-cutter/p44999. In thin
aluminium I would use a wooden block to reinforce the pilot hole area to
stop the pilot drill from waggling around
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 13:50, David wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2021 13:29:58 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are
for wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Any metal cutting hole-saw should be fine. Use oil to stop the aluminium
balling though with just 0.8mm it's only marginally necessary.

Ta.

Having trouble locating a 30 mm one at the moment.

I have also looked at hole punches.
Apparently you drill a pilot hole, insert a bolt, then tighten the cutter
down.
Again not finding 30 mm size.
[At least, not with fast delivery.]

Screwfix have a couple in stock, but you will need the arbour to suit:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-m...saw-30mm/5420v

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-mul...saw-30mm/651gx

As others have suggested Qmax cutters leave a good finish. After looking
at the links T i m has given they seem good value for money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 14:05, wrote:
On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are
for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

If you haven't got a (Qmax) hole punch or hole saw then something like
this will do the job
https://www.toolstation.com/adjustab...-cutter/p44999. In thin
aluminium I would use a wooden block to reinforce the pilot hole area to
stop the pilot drill from waggling around

I have used this type before, as you imply they don't have much precision!

Step drill, of course, is another method for producing a 30m hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 1:24:08 PM UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Cheers

Dave R

A stepped drill will do if you cannot get a punch. This one has steps at 3mm so third from the end should be 30mm

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-s...t-6-36mm/5911v

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 May 2021 14:21:25 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

+1 I bought my first se of QMax punches back in the early 1960's for
punching holes in aluminium sheet for radio valve sockets. Still got
them,
although they don't get much use these days.

I worked for a (then) well know electronics component supplier around the
same time. I got one of the 'Eagle' sets (remember them? Japanese).

I now have a set of Qmax and still use them occasionally. I even have the
(painfully expensive) DE shell punch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 May 2021 14:13:09 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 29/05/2021 13:50, David wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2021 13:29:58 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they
are for wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Any metal cutting hole-saw should be fine. Use oil to stop the
aluminium balling though with just 0.8mm it's only marginally
necessary.

Ta.

Having trouble locating a 30 mm one at the moment.

I have also looked at hole punches.
Apparently you drill a pilot hole, insert a bolt, then tighten the
cutter down.
Again not finding 30 mm size.
[At least, not with fast delivery.]

Screwfix have a couple in stock, but you will need the arbour to suit:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-m...rial-bi-metal-

holesaw-30mm/5420v

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-mul...-hss-bi-metal-

holesaw-30mm/651gx

As others have suggested Qmax cutters leave a good finish. After looking
at the links T i m has given they seem good value for money.

I am constantly baffled by my inability to find stuff on the Screwfix site.
I think in this case I've been applying too many filters.
Anyway, been there, got that including the arbor.

Thanks to all who have posted.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 May 2021 14:05:18 +0100, nothanks wrote:

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are
for wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Cheers

Dave R

If you haven't got a (Qmax) hole punch or hole saw then something like
this will do the job
https://www.toolstation.com/adjustab...-cutter/p44999. In thin
aluminium I would use a wooden block to reinforce the pilot hole area to
stop the pilot drill from waggling around

Interesting.
I think it only goes down to 40 mm though.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 14:50, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 1:24:08 PM UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Cheers

Dave R

A stepped drill will do if you cannot get a punch. This one has steps at 3mm so third from the end should be 30mm

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-s...t-6-36mm/5911v

Richard

0.8mm is quite thin though so important to have it on top of a
sacrificial piece of plywood or similar. Use a pillar drill if you have one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
I have also looked at hole punches.
Apparently you drill a pilot hole, insert a bolt, then tighten the cutter
down.
Again not finding 30 mm size.
[At least, not with fast delivery.]

A hole punch, common name Q-Max, gives a near perfect hole, but costs a
lot more than a hole saw. Ebay price about 15 quid.

Any decent supplier should have a 30mm one.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Google) wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are
for wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Cheers

Dave R

A stepped drill will do if you cannot get a punch. This one has steps
at 3mm so third from the end should be 30mm

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-s...t-6-36mm/5911v

Richard

0.8mm is quite thin though so important to have it on top of a
sacrificial piece of plywood or similar. Use a pillar drill if you have
one.

Used a scrap piece of decking clamped to workmate.

Cut slowly using Makita battery drill.
All worked remarkably well, considering.

In time to cancel my backup order from Amazon with a range of cutter sizes.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Yep, a chassis punch.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362061659406

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 May 2021 04:19:01 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:

I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are for
wood.

A bimetal hole saw is the obvious answer, but many wood cutting tools
will also work on ali for one off jobs.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Loads of things... depends on the size of the hole and how many of em
you want?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 May 2021 14:37:02 +0000, David wrote:

I am constantly baffled by my inability to find stuff on the Screwfix
site.
I think in this case I've been applying too many filters.
Anyway, been there, got that including the arbor.

One problem with a lot of sites that use filters is the the data are not
consistent.

Let's say you have a number of different items with attribute A. It's
common for not all of them to have attribute A marked against then in the
database.

So when you filter on A, you remove some of the items with that attribute.

I find it's best to use as few filters as possible, and then resign
myself to a longer scan of the results.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 15:37, David wrote:
I am constantly baffled by my inability to find stuff on the Screwfix site.

holesaw site:screwfix.com

HTH.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 May 2021 14:37:02 +0000, David wrote:

I am constantly baffled by my inability to find stuff on the Screwfix
site.
I think in this case I've been applying too many filters.
Anyway, been there, got that including the arbor.

One problem with a lot of sites that use filters is the the data are not
consistent.

Let's say you have a number of different items with attribute A. It's
common for not all of them to have attribute A marked against then in the
database.

So when you filter on A, you remove some of the items with that attribute.

I find it's best to use as few filters as possible, and then resign
myself to a longer scan of the results.

A lot of people use the paper catalogue to look up part numbers because it
displays items in sensible categories, then revert to the web pages.

--
regards
wasbit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they
are for wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

QMAX punches were the goto solution in the days of valves and valveholders

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand.../p/QMX0451114Q

£11.50. A snip!

Unless you have a tame sheet metal workshop with old hand presses and
punches, that is the bees ********

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

I used one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VYWBB1N last
week to drill 40mm holes into an alloy casting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Clamp it between two pieces of stout ply and drill through the lot with
anything.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 30/05/2021 12:53, Steve Walker wrote:
On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they are
for
wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

I used one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VYWBB1N last
week to drill 40mm holes into an alloy casting.

Interesting sizes. 50mm could be useful for me.

--
Adam