Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Drilling/cutting a 30 mm hole in 0.8 mm aluminium

On Sat, 29 May 2021 14:13:09 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 29/05/2021 13:50, David wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2021 13:29:58 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 29/05/2021 13:24, David wrote:
I need to cut a 30 mm hole in some 0.8 mm aluminium.

I have various hole cutting devices such as Forstner bits but they
are for wood.

Is there anything clever for cutting holes in metal sheets?

Any metal cutting hole-saw should be fine. Use oil to stop the
aluminium balling though with just 0.8mm it's only marginally
necessary.

Ta.

Having trouble locating a 30 mm one at the moment.

I have also looked at hole punches.
Apparently you drill a pilot hole, insert a bolt, then tighten the
cutter down.
Again not finding 30 mm size.
[At least, not with fast delivery.]

Screwfix have a couple in stock, but you will need the arbour to suit:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-m...rial-bi-metal-

holesaw-30mm/5420v

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-mul...-hss-bi-metal-

holesaw-30mm/651gx

As others have suggested Qmax cutters leave a good finish. After looking
at the links T i m has given they seem good value for money.

I am constantly baffled by my inability to find stuff on the Screwfix site.
I think in this case I've been applying too many filters.
Anyway, been there, got that including the arbor.

Thanks to all who have posted.

Cheers

Dave R