Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Virgin Media ...

Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 25 May 2021 16:16:15 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Who.?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

I'm with VM,and never knew they had them, apart from their community
website.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 16:41, RobH wrote:
On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

I'm with VM,and never knew they had them, apart from their community
website.

you have got to the end of june to use them then....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2021 17:21:44 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 25/05/2021 16:41, RobH wrote:
On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

I'm with VM,and never knew they had them, apart from their community
website.

you have got to the end of june to use them then....

I've been using 'them' where they were provided directly by CableTel
then NTLWorld and VM and whoever they subbed them out to?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/05/2021 16:41, RobH wrote:
On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

I'm with VM,and never knew they had them, apart from their community
website.

you have got to the end of june to use them then....

I've been using 'them' where they were provided directly by CableTel
then NTLWorld and VM and whoever they subbed them out to?

Cheers, T i m

bring back the free internet dial up access that used to be provided by
NTL .....20 years ago?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

That's life Jim, But not as we know it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 20:06, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

That's life Jim, But not as we know it!

have to go 100% eternal september now.....virgin was handy when es went
down which is very often ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 16:36, jon wrote:
On Tue, 25 May 2021 16:16:15 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Who.?

them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 25/05/2021 20:06, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

That's life Jim, But not as we know it!

have to go 100% eternal september now.....virgin was handy when es went
down which is very often ....

nin never goes down and is dirt cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Obnoxious Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Wed, 26 May 2021 07:42:56 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Xeno to senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Do you mean ta ta to the newsgroups, or to their news server (which is a
re-sold service from an external provider anyway these days)?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 May 2021 00:10:17 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Do you mean ta ta to the newsgroups, or to their news server (which is a
re-sold service from an external provider anyway these days)?

I got an email from Virgin on Monday which says:

"We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this
time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform."

So I take it that they're removing the news server. No apology, no
more advice. Pity, because their broadband and cable tv are quite
efficient.

Could someone please recommend where I could now get Usenet access?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Armstrong wrote:

I got an email from Virgin on Monday which says:

"We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this
time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform."

So I take it that they're removing the news server. No apology, no
more advice. Pity, because their broadband and cable tv are quite
efficient.

Could someone please recommend where I could now get Usenet access?

I moved to Eternal September in 2010, which is when
IIRC Virgin said they were closing their news server.

It is OK, considering it is free, but does have hiccoughs from
time to time, so I have recently paid for news.individual.net

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 25/05/2021 20:06, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

That's life Jim, But not as we know it!

have to go 100% eternal september now.....virgin was handy when es went
down which is very often ....

very often is a huge exaggeration

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Do you mean ta ta to the newsgroups, or to their news server (which is a
re-sold service from an external provider anyway these days)?

I got an email from Virgin on Monday which says:

"We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this
time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform."

So I take it that they're removing the news server. No apology, no
more advice. Pity, because their broadband and cable tv are quite
efficient.

Could someone please recommend where I could now get Usenet access?

I had been with Virginmedia for getting on for nearly 10 years and I
used the VM news server.

Fibre was laid in my street and so I jumped ship from Virginmedia to
Vodafone.

Vodafone don't have a news server.

Being the tight git I am, I signed up with AIOE and also with Eternal
September.

Both news servers do not do binaries so if that is your thing, then
you're looking at a paid service from the likes of Astraweb or Giganews.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 17:21, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/05/2021 16:41, RobH wrote:
On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

I'm with VM,and never knew they had them, apart from their community
website.

you have got to the end of june to use them then....

Well according to the posts on the vm community website, that is not
being removed. It is the Uesnet service which is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Do you mean ta ta to the newsgroups, or to their news server (which is a
re-sold service from an external provider anyway these days)?

I got an email from Virgin on Monday which says:

"We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this
time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform."

So I take it that they're removing the news server. No apology, no
more advice. Pity, because their broadband and cable tv are quite
efficient.

Could someone please recommend where I could now get Usenet access?

news.individual.net
not free but very cheap and very reliable indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 May 2021 08:11:33 +0100, John Armstrong
wrote:

Could someone please recommend where I could now get Usenet access?

Well I use News.Individual.NET http://news.individual.net/
snip at 10EUR per annum and they also do a two week free trial
account.
Also use Astraweb https://www.astraweb.com/ don't use their monthly
account, bought a block 25GB which has lasted years, much cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Do you mean ta ta to the newsgroups, or to their news server (which is a
re-sold service from an external provider anyway these days)?

I got an email from Virgin on Monday which says:

"We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this
time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform."

So I take it that they're removing the news server. No apology, no
more advice. Pity, because their broadband and cable tv are quite
efficient.

Could someone please recommend where I could now get Usenet access?

I use the VM news server - have been on Usenet groups for many years
using various servers. I have not had this email.

I can give +1 for Astraweb - just buy a block not a monthly sub and it
will last you probably a lifetime if you use mainly news and not binary
groups. It also has a long retention so you can browse back over the
years, at least to 2003 I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 08:48, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 25/05/2021 20:06, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

That's life Jim, But not as we know it!

have to go 100% eternal september now.....virgin was handy when es
went down which is very often ....

very often is a huge exaggeration

too often for my liking then .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 26/05/2021 08:48, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 25/05/2021 20:06, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

That's life Jim, But not as we know it!

have to go 100% eternal september now.....virgin was handy when es went
down which is very often ....

very often is a huge exaggeration

too often for my liking then .....

whatever it is, it's still less than 100% of the time

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Do you mean ta ta to the newsgroups, or to their news server (which is a
re-sold service from an external provider anyway these days)?

I got an email from Virgin on Monday which says:

"We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this
time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform."

So I take it that they're removing the news server. No apology, no
more advice. Pity, because their broadband and cable tv are quite
efficient.

Could someone please recommend where I could now get Usenet access?

Same happened to me ages ago. Think with TalkTalk.

There are two common free servers, News Eternal Septemeber and AIOE. Worth
having both as they don't both carry the full range of groups.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 16:45, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 26/05/2021 08:48, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 25/05/2021 20:06, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

That's life Jim, But not as we know it!

have to go 100% eternal september now.....virgin was handy when es
went down which is very often ....

very often is a huge exaggeration

too often for my liking then .....

whatever it is, it's still less than 100% of the time

WTF ?...try reading that again wannabe pedant tim....When VM goes I will
have to go ES 100% of the time...the 100% had nothing to do with ES
outages.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/05/2021 16:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Do you mean ta ta to the newsgroups, or to their news server (which is a
re-sold service from an external provider anyway these days)?

I got an email from Virgin on Monday which says:

"We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being
removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this
time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform."

So I take it that they're removing the news server. No apology, no
more advice. Pity, because their broadband and cable tv are quite
efficient.

Could someone please recommend where I could now get Usenet access?

news.individual.net
not free but very cheap and very reliable indeed.

cheap is too expensive...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

wot you looking for fresh petals ? ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Makes a lot more sense to use news.individual.net
for peanuts and get vastly better reliability and the
full range of groups apart from the binary groups.

Very decent but not perfect dumping of spam posts too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think he means the lot running it formally known as High winds, want far
too much to do it and since hardly anyone knows what usenet is, they will
let itdie at the end of june.
They did this with web space of course as well.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"jon" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 25 May 2021 16:16:15 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Ta ta virgin media newsgroups....

Who.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 May 2021 17:55:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for your helpful comments and suggestions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Thu, 27 May 2021 09:23:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 May 2021 09:21:25 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Same happened to me ages ago. Think with TalkTalk.

There are two common free servers, News Eternal Septemeber and AIOE. Worth
having both as they don't both carry the full range of groups.

Makes a lot more sense to use news.individual.net
for peanuts and get vastly better reliability and the
full range of groups apart from the binary groups.

news.individual.net does NOT have ALL groups and most likely not more than
those free servers and isn't more reliable than those either, you abnormal
senile bull**** artist from Oz!

--
Hawk addressing the obnoxious senile Australian pest:
"I'm willing to bet you scream your own name when jacking off."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I pay for as little as possible when it comes to computers.....me no fool
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

so where are you going to get your drugs then ? ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

me no fool

Obvious lie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Don’t use any, not even tea or coffee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 May 2021 03:50:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 May 2021 03:51:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

dennis@home to senile know-it-all Rodent Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Armstrong
writes
On Wed, 26 May 2021 17:55:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

And NIN costs a massive 10 euros per annum.
--
Ian